    dialing up with the built-in modem in my Sony Vaio laptop? Thanks in
    advance for your help.
    Paul

    Paul Hoberg, Jan 16, 2004

  2. Paul Hoberg

    Unk Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 04:29:55 GMT, "Paul Hoberg" <>
    wrote:

    >I have 2 ISPs - Comcast and WorldNet. Does either of them offer a FAX
    >capability as part of their standard monthly fee? Or is there another
    >way that I can send and receive FAX pages using my cable modem? Or
    >dialing up with the built-in modem in my Sony Vaio laptop? Thanks in
    >advance for your help.
    >Paul

    You can't fax via Comcast cable modem unless you use a web-based service.
    http://www.efax.com/

    The modem in your laptop is probably a fax/modem. THAT you can use for
    faxing. You just need the software, however you didn't state your OS.

    Windows XP - Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs,
    Add Windows Component, and check the box, "Fax Services", click next, and
    follow the prompts.

    Windows 98 - If you want to use Microsoft Fax, you'll need
    to install it from the Windows 98 installation CD.

    Insert the CD in your CD-ROM drive, click "Browse This CD",
    and navigate to the Tools/OldWin95/Message/Us folder.
    Run "awfax.exe" to install Microsoft Fax. (Note: According
    to Microsoft, this utility "requires a Full MAPI Client in order to
    function, such as: Microsoft Exchange, Windows Messaging,
    Microsoft Exchange Server Client or Outlook [the full version, not
    Express].")

    Windows Messaging is also available on the Windows 98
    installation CD, too. To install it, navigate to Tools/OldWin95/Message/Us
    folder, and run wmw.exe. (Note: Read the wmw-fax.txt, in the same folder,
    for more detailed information on Microsoft Fax and Windows Messaging.)

    After you install it, here's how to use it.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q152196&

    Unk, Jan 16, 2004

  3. Paul Hoberg wrote:

    > I have 2 ISPs - Comcast and WorldNet. Does either of them offer a FAX
    > capability as part of their standard monthly fee? Or is there another
    > way that I can send and receive FAX pages using my cable modem? Or
    > dialing up with the built-in modem in my Sony Vaio laptop? Thanks in
    > advance for your help.
    > Paul

    What Unk said, and with respect to your laptop, WinFaxPro is a killer fax
    application -- check it out if you go with the laptop/dialup.

    --
    Blinky Registered Linux User #297263

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 16, 2004
  4. Paul Hoberg

    Paul Hoberg Guest

    Thanks, Unk. My laptop came with XP Home installed. I'll try what
    you suggested, after confirming that it is indeed a FAX modem in the
    computer. The suggestion to consider WinFax Pro is good, but free is
    better, if it works.
    Paul

    "Unk" <> wrote in message
    On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 04:29:55 GMT, "Paul Hoberg"
    <>

    Paul Hoberg, Jan 16, 2004
  5. Paul Hoberg

    Unk Guest

    You're welcome.

    Unk, Jan 17, 2004
  6. Paul Hoberg

    Win Guest

    ALL 56K Modems are fax modems and 33.6 and 28.8

    Win, Jan 17, 2004
  7. Paul Hoberg

    Bill Coleman Guest

    Are there any decent freeware or shareware fax programs for Windows 98/ME?
    Can MS Fax be used on these systems?

    Bill Coleman, Jan 30, 2004
  8. Paul Hoberg

    Boomer Guest

    Bill Coleman, <> wrote:

    > Are there any decent freeware or shareware fax programs for
    > Windows 98/ME? Can MS Fax be used on these systems?
    >
    > "Unk" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    >> Windows 98 - If you want to use Microsoft Fax, you'll need
    >> to install it from the Windows 98 installation CD.
    >>
    >> Insert the CD in your CD-ROM drive, click "Browse This CD",
    >> and navigate to the Tools/OldWin95/Message/Us folder.
    >> Run "awfax.exe" to install Microsoft Fax. (Note: According
    >> to Microsoft, this utility "requires a Full MAPI Client in
    >> order to function, such as: Microsoft Exchange, Windows
    >> Messaging, Microsoft Exchange Server Client or Outlook [the
    >> full version, not Express].")
    >>
    >> Windows Messaging is also available on the Windows 98
    >> installation CD, too. To install it, navigate to
    >> Tools/OldWin95/Message/Us folder, and run wmw.exe. (Note: Read
    >> the wmw-fax.txt, in the same folder, for more detailed
    >> information on Microsoft Fax and Windows Messaging.)
    >>
    >> After you install it, here's how to use it.
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q152196&

    Did you read the above message?

    Boomer, Jan 30, 2004