    I believe I can't get connected to my network because media is disabled. I
    run ipconfig and at the end it says "media disconnected". How can I enable?

    Thank you

    =?Utf-8?B?Y29yYWRv?=, Apr 11, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Y29yYWRv?=

    Malke Guest

    corado wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I believe I can't get connected to my network because media is
    > disabled. I run ipconfig and at the end it says "media disconnected".
    > How can I enable?
    >
    > Thank you

    Crystal ball is fogged. Please provide more information such as how you
    connect to the Internet and the make/model of your wireless adapter and
    wireless router. Were you ever able to connect? If yes, what changed
    between the time things worked and the time they didn't?

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Apr 11, 2006

  3. Ok, sorry here are the info:

    Yes, it worked until now, I have a dell laptop inspiron 6000, PC card
    incorporated dell wireless 1370 WLAN mini PCI, the router is Belkin Pre-N,
    I,ve changed few times the SSID but worked fine without any problem it just
    happened, I run ipconfig and I see Media State: Not Connected. If i connect
    through the cable works fine, when I disconnect and try wireless doesn't
    work. Obtain an IP is On, I also tryed with security disabled in router and
    it worked but this is not the purpose, I want a secured network.

    If you need more info please let me know.

    Thank you.

    =?Utf-8?B?Y29yYWRv?=, Apr 11, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Y29yYWRv?=

    Malke Guest

    corado wrote:

    > Ok, sorry here are the info:
    >
    > Yes, it worked until now, I have a dell laptop inspiron 6000, PC card
    > incorporated dell wireless 1370 WLAN mini PCI, the router is Belkin
    > Pre-N, I,ve changed few times the SSID but worked fine without any
    > problem it just happened, I run ipconfig and I see Media State: Not
    > Connected. If i connect through the cable works fine, when I
    > disconnect and try wireless doesn't work. Obtain an IP is On, I also
    > tryed with security disabled in router and it worked but this is not
    > the purpose, I want a secured network.

    OK, if it works *now* without encryption and it doesn't work *with*
    encryption, try entering the encryption key again. Make sure you use
    encryption that your laptop's wireless adapter supports. I'm pretty
    sure the Dell wireless handles WPA, but you'll have to check.

    Another good test would be to go to a friend's house and connect to his
    encrypted wireless network. If you can't do it there, then you know it
    isn't your wireless router but your adapter. Is it possible you
    disabled the wireless adapter by accident? On my Inspiron, pressing
    FN+F2 toggles the wireless on and off.

    Malke

    Malke, Apr 11, 2006
  5. Malke,

    I've tryed everything, my laptop supports WPA even WPA2, I even reset all
    the keys from both router and laptop, no luck. The wireless adapter is On,
    I've turned On and OFF last night. When I try to connect it goes to
    "Acquiring network address' phase and stays there and when I look at the
    small icon on the toolbar is IP: 0.0.0.0. Someone was suggesting because the
    Media status is not connected that's why I can't connect. I can't test it if
    it works with anyone else because I don't know anyone around me with
    wireless. I really ran out of any ideas with this and I don't know anymore
    what to do.......

    Thanks.

    =?Utf-8?B?Y29yYWRv?=, Apr 11, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?Y29yYWRv?=

    Malke Guest

    corado wrote:

    > Malke,
    >
    > I've tryed everything, my laptop supports WPA even WPA2, I even reset
    > all the keys from both router and laptop, no luck. The wireless
    > adapter is On, I've turned On and OFF last night. When I try to
    > connect it goes to "Acquiring network address' phase and stays there
    > and when I look at the small icon on the toolbar is IP: 0.0.0.0.
    > Someone was suggesting because the Media status is not connected
    > that's why I can't connect. I can't test it if it works with anyone
    > else because I don't know anyone around me with wireless. I really ran
    > out of any ideas with this and I don't know anymore what to do.......

    Then I don't know what else to suggest to you either. Try a wireless
    adapter that is a pc card. Or take the machine to a local professional
    computer repair shop that has wireless to test your card.

    Malke

    Malke, Apr 11, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?Y29yYWRv?=

    Pavel A. Guest

    "corado" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Malke,
    >
    > I've tryed everything, my laptop supports WPA even WPA2, I even reset all
    > the keys from both router and laptop, no luck. The wireless adapter is On,
    > I've turned On and OFF last night. When I try to connect it goes to
    > "Acquiring network address' phase and stays there and when I look at the
    > small icon on the toolbar is IP: 0.0.0.0. Someone was suggesting because the
    > Media status is not connected that's why I can't connect.

    No, this is not the case. If it works in unsecure mode (and gets ip address etc)
    the problem lies in security setup.
    The "media" will then "connect" automatically.
    You shlould not do anything to "enable" it. If the adapter were not actually
    connected to the router, it won't be attempting to get ip address.

    Regards,
    --PA

    Pavel A., Apr 12, 2006