How can I determine the cause of dropped Vonage calls?

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by cjtwantstoknow@yahoo.com, Aug 30, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Recently, I've been experiencing dropped calls and I would like to
    pinpoint the cause so that I can correct the problem.

    My calls are either dropped or become half-duplex (can only hear one
    party). My broadband provider is Comcast and I've been using the
    service for a year. Recently, the main cable was replaced and the
    service worked fine immediately after that.

    I'm running a ping monitor to determine if there's a network related
    problem but I don't think that the ping will necessarily tell me much
    because I don't (yet) know the IP address that my Vonage router is
    talking to. A ping message is also small in comparison to the voice
    traffic - so it is probably a poor measure of sustained throughput.

    My configuration is a Motorola Surfboard SB5100? modem connected to a
    Linksys RT31P2 router. My home network is downstream from the RT31P2
    router and there is usually minimal traffic there.

    Other things I have checked:

    The cable modem has good signal strength.
    Data traffic seems ok - web browsing, etc.
    Ping monitor doesn't show anything obvious when pinging google.com

    I may use ethereal to determine the IP address that the router is
    talking to and run my ping test to there.

    Any help or suggestions are welcome.

    Chris
    cjtwantstoknow

    , Aug 30, 2005