    need to do that).

    It scans okay.

    Mel
    mel, May 4, 2009

  2. mel

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 4 May 2009 00:28:18 -0400, "mel" <>
    wrote:

    >As part of my routine cleanup, I clear out the cache and also go into %temp%
    >and delete those files.
    >
    >However, there is always this file: ~DF3F85.tmp that is being used by
    >another process and will not delete. I tried via the command prompt but it
    >is still there.
    >
    >Google is not helping, at least for this file.
    >
    >Any suggestions on what this file might be and how to delete it (if I even
    >need to do that).

    Assuming this is some sort of Windows based operating system, the temp
    file is a random filename. If you REALLY want it gone, reboot into
    safe mode, and then delete the file from there.

    Or, you can try and make sure every program is closed when you try to
    delete the file.

    It's not taking up much space is it?
    Evan Platt, May 4, 2009

  3. mel

    VanguardLH Guest

    mel wrote:

    > As part of my routine cleanup, I clear out the cache and also go into %temp%
    > and delete those files.
    >
    > However, there is always this file: ~DF3F85.tmp that is being used by
    > another process and will not delete. I tried via the command prompt but it
    > is still there.
    >
    > Google is not helping, at least for this file.
    >
    > Any suggestions on what this file might be and how to delete it (if I even
    > need to do that).
    >
    > It scans okay.
    >
    > Mel

    You can use the open handle utility (oh.exe) from Microsoft's Resource
    Kit to tell you what process opened the file.

    ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/ResKit/win2000/
    (oh.zip)

    SysInternals (now owned by Microsoft) has its open handle utility.

    www.sysinternals.com
    (handle.exe)

    You can use Unlocker. It will open a dialog when you attempt to delete
    a file that is inuse to tell you which process has the handle on that
    file. You can then terminate the process or ask Unlocker to delete the
    file on the next reboot.

    http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

    Microsoft also has their inuse.exe that deletes files on reboot.

    You'll probably find that you are loading a program on Windows startup
    that opens this file and needs to use it while that program is running.
    VanguardLH, May 4, 2009
  4. mel

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-05-04, mel <> wrote:
    > As part of my routine cleanup, I clear out the cache and also go into %temp%
    > and delete those files.
    >
    > However, there is always this file: ~DF3F85.tmp that is being used by
    > another process and will not delete. I tried via the command prompt but it
    > is still there.
    >
    > Google is not helping, at least for this file.
    >
    > Any suggestions on what this file might be and how to delete it (if I even
    > need to do that).
    >
    > It scans okay.
    >
    > Mel

    Some programs (including those which are essential to keep the system
    running at all) have to have somewhere to store data. Some of them use
    temporary files to do that. Just because a file is 'temporary' doesn't
    mean it is 'not essential'. If your system is trying hard to stop you
    from deleting something, perhaps there is a good reason for that.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, May 4, 2009
  5. mel

    Dodgy Dave Guest

    "mel" <> wrote in message news:gtlqti$jg4$...
    > As part of my routine cleanup, I clear out the cache and also go into
    > %temp% and delete those files.
    >
    > However, there is always this file: ~DF3F85.tmp that is being used by
    > another process and will not delete. I tried via the command prompt but it
    > is still there.
    >
    > Google is not helping, at least for this file.
    >
    > Any suggestions on what this file might be and how to delete it (if I even
    > need to do that).
    >
    > It scans okay.
    >
    > Mel

    I have many of these types of files in my temp folder as well. I think its
    most likely Zone Alarm temp files?
    Dodgy Dave, May 4, 2009
  6. mel

    mel Guest

    Thank you.

    I used UNLOCKER.

    It was a Zone Alarm File

    Mel

    mel, May 4, 2009
  7. mel

    Buffalo Guest

    mel wrote:
    > Thank you.
    >
    > I used UNLOCKER.
    >
    > It was a Zone Alarm File
    >
    > Mel

    Thanks for reporting back.
    PS: I think Dodgy Dave suggested that it might be a ZA file.
    Buffalo, May 4, 2009
  8. mel

    Guest

    mel wrote:
    > As part of my routine cleanup, I clear out the cache and also go into %temp%
    > and delete those files.
    >
    > However, there is always this file: ~DF3F85.tmp that is being used by
    > another process and will not delete. I tried via the command prompt but it
    > is still there.
    >
    > Google is not helping, at least for this file.
    >
    > Any suggestions on what this file might be and how to delete it (if I even
    > need to do that).
    >
    > It scans okay.
    >
    > Mel

    I found that over maintaining can often be the cause instability in
    windows. Keep it simple is likely better.

    If something doesn't delete right away is has some purpose.
    , May 5, 2009