    works.
    Thanks

    , Jan 19, 2006

  2. Netmask Guest

    There are plenty of mp4 converters - just google MP4 TO MPEG.

    But the results will be truly terrible. DVD's have a native resolution of
    720 x 576 in PAL in NTSC slightly less. On Apple's website, they say that
    the iPod Video can support MPEG4 file formats up to 480x480 at 30 frames per
    second may movies compressed for iPOD are even smaller.

    So maybe your movies started out at 720 or 704, converted down to say 480
    and now trying to convert them back up to 704 is going to introduce so many
    digital artefacts that the results will not be good. There is also the
    possibility of the sound going out of sync etc etc. best try to download
    them again either as full DVD or at least DivX or Xvid as they do convert up
    to a viewable image, not good but quite watchable.
    Good luck..

    Netmask, Jan 19, 2006

  3. Rose Guest

    I just downloaded free trial of Super iPod Video Converter
    (http://www.bestbuyreviews.com/video-ipod-converter/) and I am doing a
    test conversion of a mpeg file to mp4. It looks really slick and may
    help those who are looking for that function as well.

    With the ability to convert multiple video formats to mp4 I think this
    one may end up to be a winner. Find the best video to iPod software
    from http://www.bestbuyreviews.com

    Rose, Jan 19, 2006
  4. Goro Guest

    IAWTP. Check out a high bitrate 480p Xvid .avi. NERO will just burn
    those fine.

    Or get a nice little DivX player and just play them natively.

    -goro-

    Goro, Jan 19, 2006
  5. Bob Guest

    On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 09:48:32 GMT, "Netmask"
    <> wrote:

    Don't top post - it is the sign of a newbie.

    >There are plenty of mp4 converters - just google MP4 TO MPEG.
    >But the results will be truly terrible.

    Not if you are soing it correctly.

    >DVD's have a native resolution of
    >720 x 576 in PAL in NTSC slightly less.

    Not true. DVD allows for several levels of resolution. Here some of
    the standard levels found on must DVDRs:

    Mode Hour BitRate Encode NTSC
    HQ 1 9.5Mbps MPEG2 720X480
    SP 2 5.1Mbps MPEG2 720X480
    LP 3 3.3Mbps MPEG2 352X480
    EP 4 2.5Mbps MPEG2 352X480
    SLP 6 1.7Mpbs MPEG1 352X240

    >>I downloaded some tv episodes in mp4 format (for iPod) and want to burn
    >> it to DVD in a format that will play in most DVD players.

    The DVD player/recorder makers are starting to put the codecs in for
    AVI/MPEG4. My ILO DVDR05 (Walmart $99) will play most. That means you
    do not have to convert anything - just burn a data disc and play it
    directly in the DVD unit.

    >How can I do
    >> this? Anyone know of cheap software / free trial / freeware / shareware
    >> that will do this? I'm having a hard time finding something that really
    >> works.

    Try WinAvi. You can adjust the resolution to one of those above with
    the parameter "Constant Video Quality". There are 5 settings which
    correspond to the values above. I do not know if they are identical,
    but they appear to match up somewhat. You will have to play with it to
    find out what meets your needs.

    Try TotalVideoConverter too - it also has the capability to set the
    resolution, and it displays what the source file resolution is.

    --

    "For most people the meaning and purpose of life is to
    serve as a warning to others of impending disaster."

    Bob, Jan 19, 2006
  6. Netmask Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 09:48:32 GMT, "Netmask"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > Don't top post - it is the sign of a newbie.
    >
    >>There are plenty of mp4 converters - just google MP4 TO MPEG.
    >>But the results will be truly terrible.

    > Not if you are soing it correctly.
    >
    >>DVD's have a native resolution of
    >>720 x 576 in PAL in NTSC slightly less.

    > Not true. DVD allows for several levels of resolution. Here some of
    > the standard levels found on must DVDRs:
    >
    > Mode Hour BitRate Encode NTSC
    > HQ 1 9.5Mbps MPEG2 720X480
    > SP 2 5.1Mbps MPEG2 720X480
    > LP 3 3.3Mbps MPEG2 352X480
    > EP 4 2.5Mbps MPEG2 352X480
    > SLP 6 1.7Mpbs MPEG1 352X240
    >
    >>>I downloaded some tv episodes in mp4 format (for iPod) and want to burn
    >>> it to DVD in a format that will play in most DVD players.

    > The DVD player/recorder makers are starting to put the codecs in for
    > AVI/MPEG4. My ILO DVDR05 (Walmart $99) will play most. That means you
    > do not have to convert anything - just burn a data disc and play it
    > directly in the DVD unit.
    >
    >>How can I do
    >>> this? Anyone know of cheap software / free trial / freeware / shareware
    >>> that will do this? I'm having a hard time finding something that really
    >>> works.

    > Try WinAvi. You can adjust the resolution to one of those above with
    > the parameter "Constant Video Quality". There are 5 settings which
    > correspond to the values above. I do not know if they are identical,
    > but they appear to match up somewhat. You will have to play with it to
    > find out what meets your needs.
    >
    > Try TotalVideoConverter too - it also has the capability to set the
    > resolution, and it displays what the source file resolution is.
    >

    > --
    >
    > "For most people the meaning and purpose of life is to
    > serve as a warning to others of impending disaster."

    As I read his request he wanted to convert iPOD MP4 video To DVD standard so
    he could play back on a standard normal machine. ie he downloaded from the
    Internet files suitable for the iPOD.

    The question of buying a DivX player was not remotely the issue

    My response was that the results were not going to very good. No problem the
    other way going from DVD or DivX or whatever to iPOD MP4 file - Personally I
    don't think I would want to look at a DVD to SLP6 standard upconverted from
    a mp4 file - yuk!!

    Netmask, Jan 20, 2006
  7. Allan Guest

    On 18 Jan 2006 22:43:33 -0800, wrote:

    >I downloaded some tv episodes in mp4 format (for iPod) and want to burn
    >it to DVD in a format that will play in most DVD players. How can I do
    >this? Anyone know of cheap software / free trial / freeware / shareware
    >that will do this? I'm having a hard time finding something that really
    >works.
    >Thanks

    videohelp.com

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Jan 20, 2006
  8. Justin Guest

    wrote on [18 Jan 2006 22:43:33 -0800]:
    > I downloaded some tv episodes in mp4 format (for iPod) and want to burn
    > it to DVD in a format that will play in most DVD players. How can I do
    > this? Anyone know of cheap software / free trial / freeware / shareware
    > that will do this? I'm having a hard time finding something that really

    Dunno why you'd want to, it'd look pretty crappy on a bigger screen.

    Justin, Jan 20, 2006
  9. Bob Guest

    On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 00:04:31 GMT, "Netmask"
    <> wrote:

    >As I read his request he wanted to convert iPOD MP4 video To DVD standard so
    >he could play back on a standard normal machine. ie he downloaded from the
    >Internet files suitable for the iPOD.

    >The question of buying a DivX player was not remotely the issue

    What I am saying is that your "standard normal machine" has the
    capability to play DivX MPEGs - if you get the right one.

    I have the ILO DVDR05MU1 with the latest f/w. I can play most AVIs.

    >My response was that the results were not going to very good. No problem the
    >other way going from DVD or DivX or whatever to iPOD MP4 file - Personally I
    >don't think I would want to look at a DVD to SLP6 standard upconverted from
    >a mp4 file - yuk!!

    The AVI files I play are not bad in terms of resolution but they have
    a slight but noticable jump between frames. It is very subtle and
    easily overlooked unless you focus your attention on it.

    Bob, Jan 20, 2006
  10. Justin Guest

    Bob wrote on [Fri, 20 Jan 2006 14:26:27 GMT]:
    > On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 00:04:31 GMT, "Netmask"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>As I read his request he wanted to convert iPOD MP4 video To DVD standard so
    >>he could play back on a standard normal machine. ie he downloaded from the
    >>Internet files suitable for the iPOD.

    >>The question of buying a DivX player was not remotely the issue

    > What I am saying is that your "standard normal machine" has the
    > capability to play DivX MPEGs - if you get the right one.

    You don't understand what a standard normal machine is, then, do you?

    Justin, Jan 20, 2006
  11. Bill's News Guest

    Bob wrote:
    > On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 00:04:31 GMT, "Netmask"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> As I read his request he wanted to convert iPOD MP4 video To DVD
    >> standard so he could play back on a standard normal machine. ie he
    >> downloaded from the Internet files suitable for the iPOD.

    >> The question of buying a DivX player was not remotely the issue

    Bob, it seems you are disliked by some here so much that they would
    give disinformation to an OP for the sake of maligning you:-(

    To have merely instructed the OP on any of the archaic, awkward ways
    of getting to point B without having mentioned the simplest of
    contemporary approaches would have been remiss!

    I know that I'd bought one brand-name DVD player near the end of the
    last decade of the last century, and before the century ended I knew
    I'd made a silly mistake. Since then I'd not consider a DVD player
    that didn't handle ALL contemporary audio/video formats and outputs.
    And, ya know what? The hours upon hours that I've saved for having
    such has rendered them WAY less than zero cost! TV MPEG2 captures
    play without "authoring" or compliance issues, and xvid conversions
    become valid space saving efforts.

    One of the best features of such a/v components is that whatever
    quality one has in the file at hand will not be further altered by
    conversion - it just plays!

    What century is this???

    Bill's News, Jan 21, 2006
  12. Guest

    , Jan 22, 2006
  13. Netmask Guest

    he wants to go the other way - re read the first post.
    ie iPod format MP4 TO DVD

    Netmask, Jan 22, 2006
  14. Justin Guest

    Netmask wrote on [Sun, 22 Jan 2006 04:54:03 GMT]:
    > he wants to go the other way - re read the first post.
    > ie iPod format MP4 TO DVD

    This person is a spammer

    Justin, Jan 22, 2006
  15. Guest

    , Jan 22, 2006
  16. Bob Guest

    On 21 Jan 2006 21:37:36 -0800, wrote:

    >total video converter can convert mp4 to DVD mpeg directly.
    >http://www.effectmatrix.com

    So can WinAvi, only much faster.

    Bob, Jan 22, 2006