    to share that printer from my windows system.
    so, please can u tell me how can i connect the printer, sitting from
    my windows

    SUDHEER, Feb 13, 2008

  2. In news:,
    SUDHEER <> typed:

    http://us1.samba.org/samba/ , but from the linux client system.

    Oksana Gutteridge, Feb 13, 2008

  3. SUDHEER

    Parko Guest

    On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 21:37:17 -0800, SUDHEER wrote:

    > hai everybody,
    >
    > we have some systems as linux, and some systems as windows. so, and one
    > printer was there on the Linux client system, and i want to share that
    > printer from my windows system. so, please can u tell me how can i
    > connect the printer, sitting from my windows

    Use Samba.
    http://tldp.org/HOWTO/SMB-HOWTO-9.html
    http://tldp.org/HOWTO/SMB-HOWTO-10.html

    --
    Parko
    Registered Linux User #33934

    Parko, Feb 13, 2008
  4. SUDHEER

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya SUDHEER.

    In <news:>
    you wrote:

    > hai everybody,
    > we have some systems as linux, and some systems as windows.
    > so, and one printer was there on the Linux client system, and i want
    > to share that printer from my windows system.
    > so, please can u tell me how can i connect the printer, sitting from
    > my windows

    Install CUPS.

    In /etc/cups/cupsd.conf make sure you have the following lines (assuming
    your local network is 192.168.0.*):

    <Location />
    Order Deny,Allow
    Deny From All
    Allow From 127.0.0.1
    Allow From 192.168.0.
    </Location>

    Then access it from the Windows PC using something similar to:

    http://<IP of Linux machine>:631/<path to printer in cups>

    eg: http://198.168.0.254:631/printers/hp_printer

    It's accessed via an "Internet port".

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Feb 13, 2008
  5. SUDHEER

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    SUDHEER wrote:
    > hai everybody,
    >
    > we have some systems as linux, and some systems as windows.
    > so, and one printer was there on the Linux client system, and i want
    > to share that printer from my windows system.
    > so, please can u tell me how can i connect the printer, sitting from
    > my windows

    To share the printer from the windows system it will need to be attached
    to the windows system. Unplug the printer from the Linux system, plug it
    into the Windows system, install driver if needed, right click and share.

    Desk Rabbit, Feb 15, 2008
  6. SUDHEER

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Desk Rabbit.

    In <news:> you wrote:

    > To share the printer from the windows system it will need to be attached
    > to the windows system. Unplug the printer from the Linux system, plug it
    > into the Windows system, install driver if needed, right click and share.

    Bullshit.

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Feb 15, 2008
  7. SUDHEER

    daniel kol Guest

    daniel kol, Feb 15, 2008
  8. SUDHEER

    Robbie Guest

    "daniel kol" <> wrote in

    > "Desk Rabbit" <> wrote in message
    >> SUDHEER wrote:
    >>> hai everybody,
    >>>
    >>> we have some systems as linux, and some systems as windows.
    >>> so, and one printer was there on the Linux client system, and i want
    >>> to share that printer from my windows system.
    >>> so, please can u tell me how can i connect the printer, sitting from
    >>> my windows

    >> To share the printer from the windows system it will need to be
    >> attached to the windows system. Unplug the printer from the Linux
    >> system, plug it into the Windows system, install driver if needed,
    >> right click and share.

    Run a search on ebay for print server. You can get either a USB model or
    LPT model. Both will allow the printer to have it's own dedicated server
    putting it directly on the network available to all comptuers on that
    network. A very good benefit is that each computer then manages it's own
    print jobs, meaning that you do not have to have one computer running
    24/7 and bottlenecking CPU when a couple of print jobs go through.

    Robbie, Feb 15, 2008
  9. SUDHEER

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Ponder wrote:
    > Hiya Desk Rabbit.
    >
    > In <news:> you wrote:
    >
    >> To share the printer from the windows system it will need to be attached
    >> to the windows system. Unplug the printer from the Linux system, plug it
    >> into the Windows system, install driver if needed, right click and share.

    > Bullshit.

    OK, how would you share a printer from a Windows machine? Note: the OP
    said that the printer was currently on the Linux system and he wanted to
    share it from the Windows system, not attach to it, but share it from
    the Windows system.

    Desk Rabbit, Feb 16, 2008
  10. SUDHEER

    Alang Guest

    Desk Rabbit wrote:

    > Ponder wrote:
    > > Hiya Desk Rabbit.
    > >
    > >In <news:> you wrote:
    > >
    > > > To share the printer from the windows system it will need to be
    > > > attached to the windows system. Unplug the printer from the
    > > > Linux system, plug it into the Windows system, install driver
    > > > if needed, right click and share.

    > > Bullshit.

    > OK, how would you share a printer from a Windows machine? Note: the
    > OP said that the printer was currently on the Linux system and he
    > wanted to share it from the Windows system, not attach to it, but
    > share it from the Windows system.

    SaMBA?

    Alang, Feb 16, 2008
  11. SUDHEER

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Desk Rabbit.

    In <news:> you wrote:

    > OK, how would you share a printer from a Windows machine? Note: the OP
    > said that the printer was currently on the Linux system and he wanted to
    > share it from the Windows system, not attach to it, but share it from
    > the Windows system.

    I've already described how.

    > Install CUPS.
    >
    > In /etc/cups/cupsd.conf make sure you have the following lines (assuming
    > your local network is 192.168.0.*):
    >
    > <Location />
    > Order Deny,Allow
    > Deny From All
    > Allow From 127.0.0.1
    > Allow From 192.168.0.
    > </Location>
    >
    > Then access it from the Windows PC using something similar to:
    >
    > http://<IP of Linux machine>:631/<path to printer in cups>
    >
    > eg: http://198.168.0.254:631/printers/hp_printer
    >
    > It's accessed via an "Internet port".

    So there. That's how I do it.

    I have an inkjet connected to a Windows machine, and a laser connected to
    a Linux machine and both can print to either printer without any bother
    whatsoever.

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Feb 16, 2008
  12. SUDHEER

    Ponder Guest

    Ponder, Feb 16, 2008
  13. SUDHEER

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Alang wrote:
    > Desk Rabbit wrote:
    >
    >> Ponder wrote:
    >>> Hiya Desk Rabbit.

    >>> Bullshit.

    >> OK, how would you share a printer from a Windows machine? Note: the
    >> OP said that the printer was currently on the Linux system and he
    >> wanted to share it from the Windows system, not attach to it, but
    >> share it from the Windows system.

    > SaMBA?

    I wasn't aware that you could run Samba on a windows machine. Isn't that
    supposed to run on a Linux box so that you can share files and printers
    from the the Linux box???

    Desk Rabbit, Feb 17, 2008
  14. SUDHEER

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Ponder wrote:
    > Hiya Desk Rabbit.
    >
    > In <news:> you wrote:
    >
    >> OK, how would you share a printer from a Windows machine? Note: the OP
    >> said that the printer was currently on the Linux system and he wanted to
    >> share it from the Windows system, not attach to it, but share it from
    >> the Windows system.

    > I've already described how.

    You described how to share a printer from a Linux machine and how to
    attach to a printer share on a windows machine from a Linux.

    Neither of these things are what the OP asked for.

    Desk Rabbit, Feb 17, 2008
  15. SUDHEER

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Desk Rabbit.

    In <news:> you wrote:

    > You described how to share a printer from a Linux machine and how to
    > attach to a printer share on a windows machine from a Linux.
    > Neither of these things are what the OP asked for.

    That is exactly what the OP asked for.

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Feb 17, 2008
  16. SUDHEER

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Ponder wrote:
    > Hiya Desk Rabbit.
    >
    > In <news:> you wrote:
    >
    >> You described how to share a printer from a Linux machine and how to
    >> attach to a printer share on a windows machine from a Linux.
    >> Neither of these things are what the OP asked for.

    > That is exactly what the OP asked for.

    The OP said "i want to share that printer from my windows system." Not
    "I want to share that printer from my Linux box"

    Desk Rabbit, Feb 18, 2008
  17. SUDHEER

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Desk Rabbit.

    In <news:> you wrote:

    >> That is exactly what the OP asked for.

    > The OP said "i want to share that printer from my windows system." Not
    > "I want to share that printer from my Linux box"

    You have to translate the whole text:

    > and one printer was there on the Linux client system, and i want
    > to share that printer from my windows system.

    The printer is connected to the Linux system, and he wants to connect to
    it with the Windows system. It's not exactly plain, easy to understand,
    English. You need to put a little thought in and break it down to
    understand what he needs, and I'm yet to be convinced my translation is the
    wrong one.

    Anyway, it's all a bit moot really because the bastard hasn't replied to
    any of the help posts.

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Feb 19, 2008
  18. SUDHEER

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Ponder wrote:
    > Hiya Desk Rabbit.
    >
    > In <news:> you wrote:
    >
    >>> That is exactly what the OP asked for.

    >> The OP said "i want to share that printer from my windows system." Not
    >> "I want to share that printer from my Linux box"

    > You have to translate the whole text:
    >
    >> and one printer was there on the Linux client system, and i want
    >> to share that printer from my windows system.

    > The printer is connected to the Linux system, and he wants to connect to
    > it with the Windows system. It's not exactly plain, easy to understand,
    > English. You need to put a little thought in and break it down to
    > understand what he needs, and I'm yet to be convinced my translation is the
    > wrong one.
    >
    > Anyway, it's all a bit moot really because the bastard hasn't replied to
    > any of the help posts.

    His use of past tense "and one printer was there on the Linux client
    system" suggested that he wanted to make a change to hosting it on the
    Windows machine.

    But ho-hum as you say, a drive past......

    Desk Rabbit, Feb 19, 2008