    Cisco, etc? How big Asterix PBX/IP can really grow as to the number of
    users? voice quality? etc. Thanks for your insights

    , Jun 21, 2005

  2. Miguel Cruz Guest

    <> wrote:
    > How can Asterix PBX/IP be compared to vendors such as Avalla, Nortel,
    > Cisco, etc? How big Asterix PBX/IP can really grow as to the number of
    > users? voice quality? etc. Thanks for your insights

    I'm not sure you can make a direct comparison at all, since Asterisk is just
    software.

    miguel

    Miguel Cruz, Jun 21, 2005

  3. Re: How can Asterix PBX/IP be compared to vendors such as Avalla, Nortel.

    (Miguel Cruz) writes:
    ><> wrote:
    >> How can Asterix PBX/IP be compared to vendors such as Avalla, Nortel,
    >> Cisco, etc? How big Asterix PBX/IP can really grow as to the number of
    >> users? voice quality? etc. Thanks for your insights

    >I'm not sure you can make a direct comparison at all, since Asterisk is just
    >software.

    Isn't that how the whole industry is going though?
    Cisco CallManager/Unity is purely software too.

    Doug McIntyre, Jun 21, 2005
  4. John Nelson Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > How can Asterix PBX/IP be compared to vendors such as Avalla, Nortel,
    > Cisco, etc? How big Asterix PBX/IP can really grow as to the number of
    > users? voice quality? etc. Thanks for your insights

    There is virtually no limit to the number of users that can be supported
    via Asterisk. That said, Asterisk's scalability is, beyond a certain
    point, cumbersome. For organizations with the expertise to deal with
    these issues, this is a trivial matter, more than offset by the dramatic
    cost savings of this open-source solution.

    Voice quality is dependent on a number of factors, but all of those
    being equal, Asterisk will deliver voice quality as good as any other
    system.

    John Nelson, Jun 21, 2005
  5. wkearney99 Guest

    > For organizations with the expertise to deal with
    > these issues, this is a trivial matter, more than offset by the dramatic
    > cost savings of this open-source solution.

    Personnel costs to deal with it may well be a hell of a lot more expensive
    than commercial solutions. An oft-overlooked point when people start
    blathering on about open source.

    wkearney99, Jun 22, 2005
  6. Guest

    Re: How can Asterix PBX/IP be compared to vendors such as Avalla, Nortel.

    Asterisk is a software based solutions require skill in set up and
    maintanence.
    But the PBXs are made like commodity and needs minimum skill and
    expertise to set up and maintanence.
    As mentioned opensource require high tech support and it is costly. But
    Asterisk offer features and facility far ahead of any PBX.
    The scalability, quality etc,, are very good for Asterisk and only you
    need to add more hardware resources.
    The development in Asterisk going on for embedded linux etc to make the
    system simple.

    , Jun 22, 2005
  7. John Nelson Guest

    In article <>, wkearney99
    @hotmail.com says...
    > > For organizations with the expertise to deal with
    > > these issues, this is a trivial matter, more than offset by the dramatic
    > > cost savings of this open-source solution.

    > Personnel costs to deal with it may well be a hell of a lot more expensive
    > than commercial solutions. An oft-overlooked point when people start
    > blathering on about open source.

    <sigh...>

    What part of "For organizations with the expertise to deal with these
    issues..." did you not get?

    John Nelson, Jun 22, 2005
  8. wkearney99 Guest

    > What part of "For organizations with the expertise to deal with these
    > issues..." did you not get?

    I didn't miss the point at all. The level of experience needed to run a PBX
    is quite a bit less than that needed to put up with the same thing cobbled
    up on a linux box. All too often those interested in preaching about the
    'savings' of things like open source fail to appreciate the entire range of
    actual costs to the organization. Yes, a place that already has a PBX
    expert on staff might well also be able to handle the added burden of
    cobbling up a linux box. But I'd argue that's not common enough to make it
    a better deal for most companies looking for a brainless-to-operate PBX that
    just 'works'.

    wkearney99, Jun 23, 2005
  9. John Nelson Guest

    In article <>, wkearney99
    @hotmail.com says...
    > > What part of "For organizations with the expertise to deal with these
    > > issues..." did you not get?

    > I didn't miss the point at all. The level of experience needed to run a PBX
    > is quite a bit less than that needed to put up with the same thing cobbled
    > up on a linux box. All too often those interested in preaching about the
    > 'savings' of things like open source fail to appreciate the entire range of
    > actual costs to the organization. Yes, a place that already has a PBX
    > expert on staff might well also be able to handle the added burden of
    > cobbling up a linux box. But I'd argue that's not common enough to make it
    > a better deal for most companies looking for a brainless-to-operate PBX that
    > just 'works'.

    You are making a number of assumptions, after the fact, to justify your
    position. Given those assumptions, your argument is valid. Nevertheless,
    it remains true that, given staff of adequate skills, Asterisk can be
    deployed in the PBX role at substantial savings over traditional
    hardware.

    Indeed, for the money I'd save over an Avaya system with similar
    capabilites, I could train my PBX-boy or network admin to expert level
    on Asterisk, or hire a consultant to do the work, and still have tens of
    thousands of dollars left over.

    "Just works" is my yardstick as well, when it comes to systems that are
    as vital as telephony is to most organizations. Asterisk reached that
    point some time ago. Set up on proper hardware, by someone who knows
    what she's doing, it is easily the equal of anthing the traditional PBX
    vendors have to offer, and exceeds them in many areas.

    John Nelson, Jun 23, 2005
  10. Re: How can Asterix PBX/IP be compared to vendors such as Avalla,Nortel.

    wkearney99 wrote:
    >>What part of "For organizations with the expertise to deal with these
    >>issues..." did you not get?

    <snip>
    > Yes, a place that already has a PBX
    > expert on staff might well also be able to handle the added burden of
    > cobbling up a linux box.

    When he said "expertise in place", I think he meant someone who is both
    Linux admin and PBX admin experienced. Which is likely to be rare.

    T. Sean Weintz, Jun 23, 2005
  11. Re: How can Asterix PBX/IP be compared to vendors such as Avalla,Nortel.

    John Nelson wrote:
    <snip>
    > Indeed, for the money I'd save over an Avaya system with similar
    > capabilites, I could train my PBX-boy or network admin to expert level
    > on Asterisk, or hire a consultant to do the work, and still have tens of
    > thousands of dollars left over.

    <snip>

    Well Avaya isn't exactly known for dollar value. Compare it against a
    vendor with more reasonably priced stuff and your argument does not hold
    up.

    T. Sean Weintz, Jun 23, 2005
  12. stephen Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Asterisk is a software based solutions require skill in set up and
    > maintanence.
    > But the PBXs are made like commodity and needs minimum skill and
    > expertise to set up and maintanence.

    this depends on scale and complexity - simple setups are meant to be easy,
    but like most other IT related systems, things get complicated and need more
    care and attention as they get bigger.

    > As mentioned opensource require high tech support and it is costly. But
    > Asterisk offer features and facility far ahead of any PBX.
    > The scalability, quality etc,, are very good for Asterisk and only you
    > need to add more hardware resources.

    i think this may actually be a key point.

    FWIW - the "expensive" commercial systems such as Cisco call manager tend to
    spend a big chunk of the total systems cost on end points and gateways. So
    IP phones, or convertors to support existing analog handsets, and gateways
    to access PSTN etc is where a lot of money ends up.

    The high end softswitches used by PSTN providers are even more biased
    towards peripheral costs as the individual modes scale up the number of end
    points per system.

    I cant see how having a "free" central call management piece can affect the
    direct cost of the bits that use separate hardware to scale up.

    again on call manager you can put gateways cards into the central processor
    (or you could initially) - but this severely restricts the number of end
    points, call setup rates and other scale limits.

    to answer the original Q - last time i checked call manager could handle
    37000 end points as a single logical PBX using a central server cluster

    i cant see any reason that asterix cant go to similar scale with a similar
    design- but if it did i would want a 2 or 4 hour fix support + maint
    contract on it, design that would survive loss of any server etc - and i
    think that might be hard to find for a non commercial product.

    One of the advantages with something commercial like the cisco is that they
    will provide a reference design, and commit to scaling rules, size limits
    and so on.

    --
    Regards

    stephen, Jun 25, 2005