    Recommendations? Thanks.

    JJ
    , Mar 9, 2007

  2. Guest

    On Mar 9, 3:47 pm, wrote:
    > I've got to buy a new laptop. Forgetting for the moment whether it's
    > going to be a Mac or a PC, and all other things being equal (like my
    > software and relative competence), how big a screen size do I need to
    > do reasonable photo work?
    >
    > The Mac Book tops out at 13 inches. The larger Mac Book Pro series is
    > a bit pricey for my pocketbook. The various PCs -- Toshiba, Dell,
    > Fujitsu -- can be had for around $1000 with a 17" screen.
    >
    > I'm using a 17" flatscreen with my desktop PC. Not sure I'd want to go
    > much smaller. But since I'd have to haul the laptop around the
    > country, I don't want anything too large, either. (Size matters,
    > heh.)
    >
    > Recommendations? Thanks.
    >
    > JJ

    I'm very happy with my 15.4" wide-screen ThinkPad. Large, bright
    screen and very light. And it's not that much more expensive than a
    similarly configured Dell (which would weigh about twice as much).

    -Gniewko
    , Mar 9, 2007

  3. pltrgyst Guest

    On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 12:47:55 -0800, wrote:

    >.... The various PCs -- Toshiba, Dell,
    >Fujitsu -- can be had for around $1000 with a 17" screen.
    >
    >I'm using a 17" flatscreen with my desktop PC. Not sure I'd want to go
    >much smaller. But since I'd have to haul the laptop around the
    >country, I don't want anything too large, either....
    >
    >Recommendations? Thanks.

    Sounds like you just answered your own question: 17".

    -- Larry
    pltrgyst, Mar 9, 2007
  4. Joan Guest

    Not really. A 17" laptop screen is completely different from a 17"
    desktop screen.

    --
    Joan

    :
    Joan, Mar 9, 2007
  5. Mike Guest

    wrote:
    > I've got to buy a new laptop. Forgetting for the moment whether it's
    > going to be a Mac or a PC, and all other things being equal (like my
    > software and relative competence), how big a screen size do I need to
    > do reasonable photo work?
    >
    > The Mac Book tops out at 13 inches. The larger Mac Book Pro series is
    > a bit pricey for my pocketbook. The various PCs -- Toshiba, Dell,
    > Fujitsu -- can be had for around $1000 with a 17" screen.
    >
    > I'm using a 17" flatscreen with my desktop PC. Not sure I'd want to go
    > much smaller. But since I'd have to haul the laptop around the
    > country, I don't want anything too large, either. (Size matters,
    > heh.)
    >
    > Recommendations? Thanks.
    >
    > JJ

    I also use a ThinkPad with a 15.4" screen. I generally like BIG
    screens, but I think that anything much larger will be a problem in some
    environments. Even my 15.4 screen sometimes causes a problem when
    seated in airliners (unless you fly up in first class). And if the guy
    in front of you puts his seat back... it's all over. For my use, I want
    at least 15" (1600 x 1200 resolution) but anything beyond 15.4 is
    probably not worth the additional problems.
    Mike

    Mike, Mar 9, 2007
  6. Mark² Guest

    wrote:
    > I've got to buy a new laptop. Forgetting for the moment whether it's
    > going to be a Mac or a PC, and all other things being equal (like my
    > software and relative competence), how big a screen size do I need to
    > do reasonable photo work?
    >
    > The Mac Book tops out at 13 inches. The larger Mac Book Pro series is
    > a bit pricey for my pocketbook. The various PCs -- Toshiba, Dell,
    > Fujitsu -- can be had for around $1000 with a 17" screen.
    >
    > I'm using a 17" flatscreen with my desktop PC. Not sure I'd want to go
    > much smaller. But since I'd have to haul the laptop around the
    > country, I don't want anything too large, either. (Size matters,
    > heh.)
    >
    > Recommendations? Thanks.

    Resolution is more important than screen size, because you need to be able
    to see your tools along sid eyour image, and still have sufficient pixels to
    represent them.

    My 13" 1280x800 kicks booty on a 15" at XGA (1024x768).

    Don't necessarily buy into the scam that is "wide-screen" laptop, etc. All
    "wide-screen" really means is that you've got a LOT LESS vertical area to
    work with...meaning documents are a pain, and so are portrait mode pictures.
    I think the wide-screen thing was economic genius on the part of
    manufacturers...because they got people to believe that slicing off the top
    and bottom of their screens was a good thing(!?). It isn't...except to save
    a bit of battery life, perhaps.

    Mark²

    www.pbase.com/markuson
    Mark², Mar 10, 2007
  7. Ron Hunter Guest

    wrote:
    > I've got to buy a new laptop. Forgetting for the moment whether it's
    > going to be a Mac or a PC, and all other things being equal (like my
    > software and relative competence), how big a screen size do I need to
    > do reasonable photo work?
    >
    > The Mac Book tops out at 13 inches. The larger Mac Book Pro series is
    > a bit pricey for my pocketbook. The various PCs -- Toshiba, Dell,
    > Fujitsu -- can be had for around $1000 with a 17" screen.
    >
    > I'm using a 17" flatscreen with my desktop PC. Not sure I'd want to go
    > much smaller. But since I'd have to haul the laptop around the
    > country, I don't want anything too large, either. (Size matters,
    > heh.)
    >
    > Recommendations? Thanks.
    >
    > JJ

    I have one of the 15.4 inch screens commonly on laptops of three years
    ago, and it serves pretty well. I would only recommend one of the
    widescreen types if you plan to do movie editing, or view HD TV on it.
    Ron Hunter, Mar 10, 2007
  8. Ron Hunter Guest

    Mike wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> I've got to buy a new laptop. Forgetting for the moment whether it's
    >> going to be a Mac or a PC, and all other things being equal (like my
    >> software and relative competence), how big a screen size do I need to
    >> do reasonable photo work?
    >>
    >> The Mac Book tops out at 13 inches. The larger Mac Book Pro series is
    >> a bit pricey for my pocketbook. The various PCs -- Toshiba, Dell,
    >> Fujitsu -- can be had for around $1000 with a 17" screen.
    >>
    >> I'm using a 17" flatscreen with my desktop PC. Not sure I'd want to go
    >> much smaller. But since I'd have to haul the laptop around the
    >> country, I don't want anything too large, either. (Size matters,
    >> heh.)
    >>
    >> Recommendations? Thanks.
    >>
    >> JJ

    > I also use a ThinkPad with a 15.4" screen. I generally like BIG
    > screens, but I think that anything much larger will be a problem in some
    > environments. Even my 15.4 screen sometimes causes a problem when
    > seated in airliners (unless you fly up in first class). And if the guy
    > in front of you puts his seat back... it's all over. For my use, I want
    > at least 15" (1600 x 1200 resolution) but anything beyond 15.4 is
    > probably not worth the additional problems.
    > Mike

    I really think that the new widescreen laptops are partly in answer to
    the problem you mentioned when flying. My 15.4 screen becomes a real
    problem in coach. Of course, if you are one of those with a 32 inch
    waist, it might not be quite as bad....
    I end up having to tilt the keyboard up onto my chest in order to be
    able to see the screen, which makes entering data a bit difficult....
    Ron Hunter, Mar 10, 2007
  9. Adam Helberg Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I've got to buy a new laptop. Forgetting for the moment whether it's
    > going to be a Mac or a PC, and all other things being equal (like my
    > software and relative competence), how big a screen size do I need to
    > do reasonable photo work?
    >
    > The Mac Book tops out at 13 inches. The larger Mac Book Pro series is
    > a bit pricey for my pocketbook. The various PCs -- Toshiba, Dell,
    > Fujitsu -- can be had for around $1000 with a 17" screen.
    >
    > I'm using a 17" flatscreen with my desktop PC. Not sure I'd want to go
    > much smaller. But since I'd have to haul the laptop around the
    > country, I don't want anything too large, either. (Size matters,
    > heh.)
    >
    > Recommendations? Thanks.
    >
    > JJ

    My rules to laptop screen are as follows:
    -go with the widescreen, the truebrite or equiv
    -min screen size 14 inch
    -for travel I would not go bigger that 15.4 unless computing is your main activity

    Adam
    Adam Helberg, Mar 10, 2007
  10. timeOday Guest

    Mark² wrote:

    > Don't necessarily buy into the scam that is "wide-screen" laptop, etc. All
    > "wide-screen" really means is that you've got a LOT LESS vertical area to
    > work with...meaning documents are a pain, and so are portrait mode pictures.
    > I think the wide-screen thing was economic genius on the part of
    > manufacturers...because they got people to believe that slicing off the top
    > and bottom of their screens was a good thing(!?). It isn't...except to save
    > a bit of battery life, perhaps.
    >
    > Mark²

    Yes, "wide screen" really means "short screen." I say that because a
    15" widescreen has less surface area than a 15" 4:3.
    timeOday, Mar 10, 2007
  11. timeOday <> wrote:

    : Yes, "wide screen" really means "short screen." I say that because a
    : 15" widescreen has less surface area than a 15" 4:3.

    I've noticed that laptop manufacturers seem to be convinced that what we
    really want is a portable DVD player. All the ads show the laptop computer
    playing a wide screen DVD movie. Sure it might be nice if I could play a
    DVD on my laptop from time to time, but that is definately NOT the prime
    reason I personally buy a laptop computer. If all I want it for is to
    watch movies on, I could save a boat load of money by just getting a
    portable DVD.

    I've also noticed that the same people seem to think that there are only
    two uses for a desktop computer. Running a small business (or not so
    small), or game playing that involves lots of shooting, explosions and
    hyper realistic body parts virtually falling into your lap. Once again I
    must be in the minority because I actually use my computer for several
    computationaly intense projects such as photo editing (suprize suprize).

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL
    Randy Berbaum, Mar 10, 2007
  12. Mark² Guest

    Randy Berbaum wrote:
    > timeOday <> wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, "wide screen" really means "short screen." I say that because a
    >> 15" widescreen has less surface area than a 15" 4:3.

    > I've noticed that laptop manufacturers seem to be convinced that what
    > we really want is a portable DVD player. All the ads show the laptop
    > computer playing a wide screen DVD movie. Sure it might be nice if I
    > could play a DVD on my laptop from time to time, but that is
    > definately NOT the prime reason I personally buy a laptop computer.
    > If all I want it for is to watch movies on, I could save a boat load
    > of money by just getting a portable DVD.
    >
    > I've also noticed that the same people seem to think that there are
    > only two uses for a desktop computer. Running a small business (or
    > not so small), or game playing that involves lots of shooting,
    > explosions and hyper realistic body parts virtually falling into your
    > lap. Once again I must be in the minority because I actually use my
    > computer for several computationaly intense projects such as photo
    > editing (suprize suprize).
    >
    > Randy

    Exactly.
    It's funny to see so many here who seem to think only about sitting on a
    plane...forgetting that you also use your computer in the many days that
    tend to follow those hours on the aircraft. :)

    The laptop screens that really bug me are the wide-screen units that CLEARLY
    had screen housing space to spare...that COULD have fit another inch or two,
    both above and below. It's the ultimate "gotcha" by screen makers...pawning
    off fewer pixels and production costs under the mask of "wide-screen."
    Hasn't anyone noticed that wide-screen movies play quite well with black
    space above and below?

    Oh well...

    www.pbase.com/markuson
    Mark², Mar 10, 2007
  13. Ron Hunter Guest

    timeOday wrote:
    > Mark² wrote:
    >
    >> Don't necessarily buy into the scam that is "wide-screen" laptop,
    >> etc. All "wide-screen" really means is that you've got a LOT LESS
    >> vertical area to work with...meaning documents are a pain, and so are
    >> portrait mode pictures. I think the wide-screen thing was economic
    >> genius on the part of manufacturers...because they got people to
    >> believe that slicing off the top and bottom of their screens was a
    >> good thing(!?). It isn't...except to save a bit of battery life,
    >> perhaps.
    >>
    >> Mark²
    >>

    > Yes, "wide screen" really means "short screen." I say that because a
    > 15" widescreen has less surface area than a 15" 4:3.

    Haven't measured, but would suspect that the square inch measurement for
    a 17 inch widescreen would be about the same as a 15.4 4:3 screen.
    Perhaps someone with a widescreen could answer this.
    Ron Hunter, Mar 10, 2007
  14. Ron Hunter Guest

    Randy Berbaum wrote:
    > timeOday <> wrote:
    >
    > : Yes, "wide screen" really means "short screen." I say that because a
    > : 15" widescreen has less surface area than a 15" 4:3.
    >
    > I've noticed that laptop manufacturers seem to be convinced that what we
    > really want is a portable DVD player. All the ads show the laptop computer
    > playing a wide screen DVD movie. Sure it might be nice if I could play a
    > DVD on my laptop from time to time, but that is definately NOT the prime
    > reason I personally buy a laptop computer. If all I want it for is to
    > watch movies on, I could save a boat load of money by just getting a
    > portable DVD.
    >
    > I've also noticed that the same people seem to think that there are only
    > two uses for a desktop computer. Running a small business (or not so
    > small), or game playing that involves lots of shooting, explosions and
    > hyper realistic body parts virtually falling into your lap. Once again I
    > must be in the minority because I actually use my computer for several
    > computationaly intense projects such as photo editing (suprize suprize).
    >
    > Randy
    >
    > ==========
    > Randy Berbaum
    > Champaign, IL

    I'm with you, Randy. I play a game of Solitaire now and then, and work
    jigsaw puzzles as well, but me computer spends most of its time on the
    internet, or doing photo related stuff, or reading fanfiction, or
    whatever else I can find to do with it. Gaming and watching DVDs rate
    way low on my priority scale here.
    Ron Hunter, Mar 10, 2007
  15. Ron Hunter Guest

    Mark² wrote:
    > Randy Berbaum wrote:
    >> timeOday <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Yes, "wide screen" really means "short screen." I say that because a
    >>> 15" widescreen has less surface area than a 15" 4:3.

    >> I've noticed that laptop manufacturers seem to be convinced that what
    >> we really want is a portable DVD player. All the ads show the laptop
    >> computer playing a wide screen DVD movie. Sure it might be nice if I
    >> could play a DVD on my laptop from time to time, but that is
    >> definately NOT the prime reason I personally buy a laptop computer.
    >> If all I want it for is to watch movies on, I could save a boat load
    >> of money by just getting a portable DVD.
    >>
    >> I've also noticed that the same people seem to think that there are
    >> only two uses for a desktop computer. Running a small business (or
    >> not so small), or game playing that involves lots of shooting,
    >> explosions and hyper realistic body parts virtually falling into your
    >> lap. Once again I must be in the minority because I actually use my
    >> computer for several computationaly intense projects such as photo
    >> editing (suprize suprize).
    >>
    >> Randy

    > Exactly.
    > It's funny to see so many here who seem to think only about sitting on a
    > plane...forgetting that you also use your computer in the many days that
    > tend to follow those hours on the aircraft. :)
    >
    > The laptop screens that really bug me are the wide-screen units that CLEARLY
    > had screen housing space to spare...that COULD have fit another inch or two,
    > both above and below. It's the ultimate "gotcha" by screen makers...pawning
    > off fewer pixels and production costs under the mask of "wide-screen."
    > Hasn't anyone noticed that wide-screen movies play quite well with black
    > space above and below?
    >
    > Oh well...

    I suspect that a fairly large percentage of laptop owners find travel
    takes up a lot of their time. While it isn't a large component of my
    computer use, flying is something I do several times a year for
    pleasure, and the aforementioned problem with a laptop in coach seating
    certainly is a consideration. Mostly, I fly first class, but one finds
    it necessary to go on 'regional carriers' now and then, and those
    aircraft aren't particularly 'roomy', to say the least. I suspect one
    of the widescreens would fare better in that environment. Otherwise,
    unless one often works with spreadsheets that are much wider than they
    are long, the screen width isn't all that useful.

    As for looking at a widescreen movie on a 4:3 laptop, BAAAAAHHHH.
    Ron Hunter, Mar 10, 2007
  16. Mark² Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > Mark² wrote:
    >> Randy Berbaum wrote:

    >>> I've noticed that laptop manufacturers seem to be convinced that
    >>> what we really want is a portable DVD player. All the ads show the
    >>> laptop computer playing a wide screen DVD movie. Sure it might be
    >>> nice if I could play a DVD on my laptop from time to time, but that
    >>> is definately NOT the prime reason I personally buy a laptop
    >>> computer. If all I want it for is to watch movies on, I could save
    >>> a boat load of money by just getting a portable DVD.
    >>>
    >>> I've also noticed that the same people seem to think that there are
    >>> only two uses for a desktop computer. Running a small business (or
    >>> not so small), or game playing that involves lots of shooting,
    >>> explosions and hyper realistic body parts virtually falling into
    >>> your lap. Once again I must be in the minority because I actually
    >>> use my computer for several computationaly intense projects such as
    >>> photo editing (suprize suprize).
    >>>
    >>> Randy

    >> Exactly.
    >> It's funny to see so many here who seem to think only about sitting
    >> on a plane...forgetting that you also use your computer in the many
    >> days that tend to follow those hours on the aircraft. :)
    >>
    >> The laptop screens that really bug me are the wide-screen units that
    >> CLEARLY had screen housing space to spare...that COULD have fit
    >> another inch or two, both above and below. It's the ultimate
    >> "gotcha" by screen makers...pawning off fewer pixels and production
    >> costs under the mask of "wide-screen." Hasn't anyone noticed that
    >> wide-screen movies play quite well with black space above and below?
    >>
    >> Oh well...
    >>

    > I suspect that a fairly large percentage of laptop owners find travel
    > takes up a lot of their time.

    Perhaps frequent business travelers, ya. But millions of folks buy laptops
    who never even fly at all....and millions more fly only occasionally. For
    me, a laptop means high quality review of a day's shots...and also the
    simple use of having all other computer functions while away. I'll spend
    about 18 hours flying each way to and from Ukraine this summer...but that
    will only constitute a small fraction of the time I'll spend on the computer
    during my 6 week stay. I'm using a wide screen machine, but the housing
    doesn't waste space above and below the screen. It's actually the size of
    the ratio, and a very small unit over all. The ones that feel like a
    rip-off to me are the units that look like they could have easily fit a 4:3,
    but chopped it short anyway...

    >While it isn't a large component of my
    > computer use, flying is something I do several times a year for
    > pleasure, and the aforementioned problem with a laptop in coach
    > seating certainly is a consideration. Mostly, I fly first class, but
    > one finds it necessary to go on 'regional carriers' now and then, and
    > those aircraft aren't particularly 'roomy', to say the least. I
    > suspect one of the widescreens would fare better in that environment.
    > Otherwise, unless one often works with spreadsheets that are much
    > wider than they are long, the screen width isn't all that useful.
    >
    > As for looking at a widescreen movie on a 4:3 laptop, BAAAAAHHHH.

    Wide screen units fail to match many movie aspect ratios anyway...
    www.pbase.com/markuson
    Mark², Mar 10, 2007
  17. Alan Browne Guest

    wrote:
    > I've got to buy a new laptop. Forgetting for the moment whether it's
    > going to be a Mac or a PC, and all other things being equal (like my
    > software and relative competence), how big a screen size do I need to
    > do reasonable photo work?
    >
    > The Mac Book tops out at 13 inches. The larger Mac Book Pro series is
    > a bit pricey for my pocketbook. The various PCs -- Toshiba, Dell,
    > Fujitsu -- can be had for around $1000 with a 17" screen.
    >
    > I'm using a 17" flatscreen with my desktop PC. Not sure I'd want to go
    > much smaller. But since I'd have to haul the laptop around the
    > country, I don't want anything too large, either. (Size matters,
    > heh.)

    No screen is big enough for photo editing for large prints. You have to
    work USM at 100% zoom. So if the image is 3600 pixels wide (a mere 12"
    print) it is not going to fit on any laptop screen and pretty much any
    common monitor.

    That's really another way of saying that perhaps you should not look for
    the largest screen nor the smallest, but the best color and detail.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    -- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
    Alan Browne, Mar 10, 2007
  18. C J Campbell Guest

    On 2007-03-09 12:47:55 -0800, said:

    > I've got to buy a new laptop. Forgetting for the moment whether it's
    > going to be a Mac or a PC, and all other things being equal (like my
    > software and relative competence), how big a screen size do I need to
    > do reasonable photo work?
    >
    > The Mac Book tops out at 13 inches. The larger Mac Book Pro series is
    > a bit pricey for my pocketbook. The various PCs -- Toshiba, Dell,
    > Fujitsu -- can be had for around $1000 with a 17" screen.
    >
    > I'm using a 17" flatscreen with my desktop PC. Not sure I'd want to go
    > much smaller. But since I'd have to haul the laptop around the
    > country, I don't want anything too large, either. (Size matters,
    > heh.)
    >
    > Recommendations? Thanks.
    >
    > JJ

    You need as large a screen as you can afford. I use a 17" MacBook Pro.

    --
    Waddling Eagle
    World Famous Flight Instructor
    C J Campbell, Mar 10, 2007
  19. timeOday Guest

    Randy Berbaum wrote:

    > I've noticed that laptop manufacturers seem to be convinced that what we
    > really want is a portable DVD player.

    Again, I've thought exactly the same thing. It's vaguely insulting,
    like I have nothing better to do than watch DVDs.
    timeOday, Mar 10, 2007
  20. Having owned a half dozen laptops over the years, and worked on more,
    here's my two cents:

    About 15" seems to be the best compromise between portability and
    usability; and do NOT look for a "widescreen" display. The
    conventional, approximate 4:3 is better for general use.

    ALSO, displays wary widely in their apparent clarity and color
    rendition, despite having ostensibly identical specifications. If at
    all possible, view some known images on the different units you're
    considering.
    Scott Schuckert, Mar 10, 2007