How best to clean an LCD monitor screen

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by All Things Mopar, Jun 7, 2005.

  1. Hi, All.

    I just purchased a Samsung 213T 21" LCD monitor.

    The manual, such that it is, is totally useless in all
    respects. All it says about cleaning the screen is the
    standard "use a clean, dry, lint-free cloth". Duh!?

    What have people found to be the "best" methods of
    cleaning a "standard"-type LCD?

    Likewise, what are some things to be totally avoided?

    I've read, for example, /not/ to use glass cleaner such
    as Windex or Glass Plus as it will permanently damage
    the front surface of the screen.

    But, is a soft cloth, such as an old T-shirt, OK if it
    is simply wet with a small amount of plain water? And,
    is it at all OK to put a small amount of liquid hand-
    soap on the cloth as well?

    Finally, are their specially-made cleaners on the market
    for LCDs? If Yes, what would I look for?

    Thanks in advance for the help/advice.

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry
    All Things Mopar, Jun 7, 2005

  2. All Things Mopar wrote:

    > Hi, All.
    >
    > I just purchased a Samsung 213T 21" LCD monitor.
    >
    > The manual, such that it is, is totally useless in all
    > respects. All it says about cleaning the screen is the
    > standard "use a clean, dry, lint-free cloth". Duh!?
    >
    > What have people found to be the "best" methods of
    > cleaning a "standard"-type LCD?
    >
    > Likewise, what are some things to be totally avoided?
    >
    > I've read, for example, /not/ to use glass cleaner such
    > as Windex or Glass Plus as it will permanently damage
    > the front surface of the screen.
    >
    > But, is a soft cloth, such as an old T-shirt, OK if it
    > is simply wet with a small amount of plain water? And,
    > is it at all OK to put a small amount of liquid hand-
    > soap on the cloth as well?
    >
    > Finally, are their specially-made cleaners on the market
    > for LCDs? If Yes, what would I look for?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for the help/advice.

    The best soft cloth I've found is specially made for cleaning optical
    devices (DVD's, eyeglasses, etc). Second best is an old T shirt that is
    100% cotton with no printing, seams or other obstacles. Plain water and
    not much of it is probably best. If a little soap is required, dissolve
    a couple drops of mild liquid detergent in a cup of water and use sparingly.

    Probably the biggest monitor killer is spraying some Windex on the
    screen and letting it run down to the bottom where it attempts to work
    it's way into the little places you don't want it, doing real damage.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 7, 2005

  3. Rôgêr commented courteously...

    > The best soft cloth I've found is specially made
    > for cleaning optical devices (DVD's, eyeglasses,etc).
    > Second best is an old T shirt that is 100% cotton with
    > no printing, seams or other obstacles. Plain water and

    not
    > much of it is probably best. If a little soap is

    required,
    > dissolve a couple drops of mild liquid detergent in a

    cup
    > of water and use sparingly.

    Thanks muchly for the fast reply! What you say coincides
    with what I'd heard earlier and certainly makes plenty
    of sense to me. I'll try at an upscale video store for
    some lintless "wipes" and ask what they recommend for
    cleaning their style LCD TV & PC monitors.

    > Probably the biggest monitor killer is spraying some
    > Windex on the screen and letting it run down to the

    bottom
    > where it attempts to work it's way into the little
    > places you don't want it, doing real damage.

    This also makes a lot of sense to me. I can just imagine
    glue or electronics getting toasted by some ill-advised
    solvent! I've also read that the Windex-style glass
    cleaners immediately take off the unprotected anti-glare
    coating of an LCD leaving irreparable streaks and other
    nasty kinds of damage.

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry
    All Things Mopar, Jun 7, 2005
  4. All Things Mopar

    Guest

    On All Things Mopar <> wrote:

    |>I just purchased a Samsung 213T 21" LCD monitor.
    |>
    |>The manual, such that it is, is totally useless in all
    |>respects. All it says about cleaning the screen is the
    |>standard "use a clean, dry, lint-free cloth". Duh!?

    |>Likewise, what are some things to be totally avoided?

    Ammonia, it will eat away at the anti-glare coating.

    --
    , Jun 7, 2005
  5. All Things Mopar

    Dribbler Guest

    "All Things Mopar" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, All.
    >
    > I just purchased a Samsung 213T 21" LCD monitor.
    >
    > The manual, such that it is, is totally useless in all
    > respects. All it says about cleaning the screen is the
    > standard "use a clean, dry, lint-free cloth". Duh!?
    >
    > What have people found to be the "best" methods of
    > cleaning a "standard"-type LCD?
    >
    > Likewise, what are some things to be totally avoided?
    >
    > I've read, for example, /not/ to use glass cleaner such
    > as Windex or Glass Plus as it will permanently damage
    > the front surface of the screen.
    >
    > But, is a soft cloth, such as an old T-shirt, OK if it
    > is simply wet with a small amount of plain water? And,
    > is it at all OK to put a small amount of liquid hand-
    > soap on the cloth as well?
    >
    > Finally, are their specially-made cleaners on the market
    > for LCDs? If Yes, what would I look for?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for the help/advice.
    > ATM, aka Jerry

    I find that the anti-static cloths we use in clothes/tumble driers are good
    for cleaning monitors.

    Dribbler
    Dribbler, Jun 7, 2005
  6. All Things Mopar

    John Holmes Guest

    All Things Mopar <> blabbered in
    24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Hi, All.
    >
    > I just purchased a Samsung 213T 21" LCD monitor.
    >
    > The manual, such that it is, is totally useless in all
    > respects. All it says about cleaning the screen is the
    > standard "use a clean, dry, lint-free cloth". Duh!?
    >
    > What have people found to be the "best" methods of
    > cleaning a "standard"-type LCD?
    >
    > Likewise, what are some things to be totally avoided?
    >
    > I've read, for example, /not/ to use glass cleaner such
    > as Windex or Glass Plus as it will permanently damage
    > the front surface of the screen.
    >
    > But, is a soft cloth, such as an old T-shirt, OK if it
    > is simply wet with a small amount of plain water? And,
    > is it at all OK to put a small amount of liquid hand-
    > soap on the cloth as well?
    >
    > Finally, are their specially-made cleaners on the market
    > for LCDs? If Yes, what would I look for?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for the help/advice.

    http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/browseproducts/Bench-Mount-Abrasive-
    Cleaner.html

    --
    Your mother was an atheistic fortune seeker who worked on a film set at
    the local cinema.
    John Holmes, Jun 7, 2005
  7. Rôgêr wrote:

    > Probably the biggest monitor killer is spraying some Windex on the
    > screen and letting it run down to the bottom where it attempts to work
    > it's way into the little places you don't want it, doing real damage.

    So ya always spray it on the cloth, instead.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, Jun 7, 2005
  8. All Things Mopar

    WormWood Guest

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?M34A2273B
    WormWood, Jun 7, 2005
  9. All Things Mopar, Jun 7, 2005
  10. All Things Mopar

    Old Gringo Guest

    All Things Mopar wrote:
    > Hi, All.
    >
    > I just purchased a Samsung 213T 21" LCD monitor.
    >
    > The manual, such that it is, is totally useless in all
    > respects. All it says about cleaning the screen is the
    > standard "use a clean, dry, lint-free cloth". Duh!?
    >
    > What have people found to be the "best" methods of
    > cleaning a "standard"-type LCD?
    >
    > Likewise, what are some things to be totally avoided?
    >
    > I've read, for example, /not/ to use glass cleaner such
    > as Windex or Glass Plus as it will permanently damage
    > the front surface of the screen.
    >
    > But, is a soft cloth, such as an old T-shirt, OK if it
    > is simply wet with a small amount of plain water? And,
    > is it at all OK to put a small amount of liquid hand-
    > soap on the cloth as well?
    >
    > Finally, are their specially-made cleaners on the market
    > for LCDs? If Yes, what would I look for?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for the help/advice.

    How about a wire brush and Old Dutch Cleanser.

    --
    Old Gringo George
    Magic Weaver Of Life
    Old Gringo, Jun 7, 2005
  11. All Things Mopar

    NotMe Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:
    > All Things Mopar wrote:
    >
    >> Hi, All.
    >>
    >> I just purchased a Samsung 213T 21" LCD monitor.
    >> The manual, such that it is, is totally useless in all respects. All
    >> it says about cleaning the screen is the standard "use a clean, dry,
    >> lint-free cloth". Duh!?
    >>
    >> What have people found to be the "best" methods of cleaning a
    >> "standard"-type LCD?
    >>
    >> Likewise, what are some things to be totally avoided?
    >>
    >> I've read, for example, /not/ to use glass cleaner such as Windex or
    >> Glass Plus as it will permanently damage the front surface of the screen.
    >>
    >> But, is a soft cloth, such as an old T-shirt, OK if it is simply wet
    >> with a small amount of plain water? And, is it at all OK to put a
    >> small amount of liquid hand-
    >> soap on the cloth as well?
    >>
    >> Finally, are their specially-made cleaners on the market for LCDs? If
    >> Yes, what would I look for?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for the help/advice.

    > The best soft cloth I've found is specially made for cleaning optical
    > devices (DVD's, eyeglasses, etc). Second best is an old T shirt that is
    > 100% cotton with no printing, seams or other obstacles. Plain water and
    > not much of it is probably best. If a little soap is required, dissolve
    > a couple drops of mild liquid detergent in a cup of water and use
    > sparingly.
    >
    > Probably the biggest monitor killer is spraying some Windex on the
    > screen and letting it run down to the bottom where it attempts to work
    > it's way into the little places you don't want it, doing real damage.

    I agree with the mild detergent, but I use a cloth diaper [new, not used
    from Wally World ;) ] to clean my laptop screen.

    NotMe
    NotMe, Jun 7, 2005
  12. All Things Mopar

    doS Guest

    use a clean, dry, lint-free cloth..how much simpler can it be...this means
    no wetting with anything...

    doS, Jun 8, 2005
  13. All Things Mopar

    CountryLover Guest

    On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 19:07:02 -0400, "doS" <> wrote:

    >use a clean, dry, lint-free cloth..how much simpler can it be...this means
    >no wetting with anything...

    Followed by steel wool for those really persisitent stains. =)
    CountryLover, Jun 8, 2005
  14. doS commented courteously...

    > use a clean, dry, lint-free cloth..how much simpler
    > can it be...this means no wetting with anything...

    No kidding?! I can read but I didn't know what to do if
    the "clean, dry cloth" didn't take the crud off, like it
    won't!

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry
    All Things Mopar, Jun 8, 2005
  15. On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 13:13:28 -0500, All Things Mopar
    <> wrote:

    >Hi, All.
    >
    >I just purchased a Samsung 213T 21" LCD monitor.
    >
    >The manual, such that it is, is totally useless in all
    >respects. All it says about cleaning the screen is the
    >standard "use a clean, dry, lint-free cloth". Duh!?
    >
    >What have people found to be the "best" methods of
    >cleaning a "standard"-type LCD?
    >
    >Likewise, what are some things to be totally avoided?

    I've been told to avoid rubbing alcohol as well, as it yellows the
    surface of the screen over time.

    I have no idea how much time it would take to yellow it, if in fact
    it's true.
    gordon freeman, Jun 8, 2005
  16. gordon freeman commented courteously...

    > I've been told to avoid rubbing alcohol as well,
    > as it yellows the surface of the screen over time.
    >
    > I have no idea how much time it would take to yellow
    > it, if in fact it's true.

    I've used rubbing alcohol to get the gummy glue off
    things when I remove a label or sticker, but not on any
    kind of monitor, mainly because so-called "rubbing
    alcohol" has other stuff in it than just plain diluted
    isoprophyl alcohol.

    What I learned from someone's Google list here, as well
    as reading the longer PDF manual for my new monitor, it
    sounds to me like I'd be very much best off using only a
    soft, unpainted old T-shirt and a small bit of water,
    but no solvents of any kind.

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry
    All Things Mopar, Jun 8, 2005
  17. "All Things Mopar" <> wrote in message
    > gordon freeman commented courteously...
    >
    > sounds to me like I'd be very much best off using only a
    > soft, unpainted old T-shirt and a small bit of water,
    > but no solvents of any kind.

    Nah, takes too long that way. I use 00 or 000 steelwool with a little Comet
    Powdered Bathroom Cleanser for the really tough stuff and 640 grit
    extra-fine sandpaper for the average smudges. Works wonders...and is
    available cheap at Home Depot.

    Doc
    J.H. Holliday, Jun 8, 2005
  18. All Things Mopar

    Unk Guest

    On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 13:13:28 -0500, All Things Mopar <> wrote:

    >Hi, All.
    >
    >I just purchased a Samsung 213T 21" LCD monitor.
    >
    >The manual, such that it is, is totally useless in all
    >respects. All it says about cleaning the screen is the
    >standard "use a clean, dry, lint-free cloth". Duh!?
    >
    >What have people found to be the "best" methods of
    >cleaning a "standard"-type LCD?
    >
    >Likewise, what are some things to be totally avoided?
    >
    >I've read, for example, /not/ to use glass cleaner such
    >as Windex or Glass Plus as it will permanently damage
    >the front surface of the screen.
    >
    >But, is a soft cloth, such as an old T-shirt, OK if it
    >is simply wet with a small amount of plain water? And,
    >is it at all OK to put a small amount of liquid hand-
    >soap on the cloth as well?
    >
    >Finally, are their specially-made cleaners on the market
    >for LCDs? If Yes, what would I look for?
    >
    >Thanks in advance for the help/advice.

    Monitor Screen Cleaner (Inside)
    http://www.mirrored.flabber.nl/boob.cursor/ciagnijcycka.swf
    Unk, Jun 9, 2005