    I might play the game for several hours every day without a firewall. My
    question is: "Is that really, really stupid or just slightly risky ?".

    thanks

    Whir, Jun 28, 2003

  2. Whir wrote:
    > I've recently bought a game whitch I'd like to play over the internet.
    > However my firewall really slows down my pc. When it's not running
    > everything is fine.
    >
    > I might play the game for several hours every day without a firewall. My
    > question is: "Is that really, really stupid or just slightly risky ?".
    >
    > thanks

    You really need to get another firewall. You didn't mention which one
    you use, but ZoneAlarm is good. As for not using a firewall at all, the
    risk isn't really all that high, but are you sure you want to be the one
    unlucky guy?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 28, 2003

  3. Whir

    Jimchip Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 03:56:59 +0200, Whir wrote:
    > I've recently bought a game whitch I'd like to play over the internet.
    > However my firewall really slows down my pc. When it's not running
    > everything is fine.
    >
    > I might play the game for several hours every day without a firewall. My
    > question is: "Is that really, really stupid or just slightly risky ?".

    Do you have windows networking running? NetBUI?
    If you just run TCP/IP and trust the game server you connect to then turning
    off the firewall is might be OK. It depends on the specifics of
    how your internet game works.

    Have you allowed any port scan diagnostics in order to see what your
    vulnerabilities are?
    http://lists.gpick.com/pages/Security_Test_Sites.htm

    (lifted from /. Posted by jamie.)

    Jimchip, Jun 28, 2003
  4. Whir

    LooseLips Guest

    How badly do you need a firewall? Really, really badly. Even then it won't
    stop a determined hacker. Never keep sensitive information on your PC if it
    connects directly to the Internet. Use passwords and data encryption. Create
    weekly backups of your system with a drive imaging program. Download a copy
    of Knoppix Linux Live that you can run on your machine from a CD if the
    absolute worst happens so you can get at your most recent important stuff.
    There are some sick puppies out there. Be a Boy Scout and be prepared.
    I was hacked and I hide behind a reputable firewall, but I had a plan and
    was back to normal within a few hours. Reported the aresehole to his ISP
    too. With log entries as backup.

    LooseLips, Jun 28, 2003
  5. Whir

    Whir Guest

    Thanks for all the advice, you guys are the best.
    I've got a PII233 with 64MB running Win98SE. I'm using "prevention firewall"
    which I got from my ISP. I'm guessing it doesn't run very well on my system
    because it's outdated and the software was written for faster pc's. If there
    are firewalls or virusscanners out there that would run smoothly on my pc I
    would love to hear about them. I don't have a virusscanner now, I use
    housecall (online virusscanner) because I dont have to install it. I tried
    installing mcAfee for instance, that really didn't work. I would really
    appreciate any advice here.

    Altough I think I wont be playing it online anymore before I can do so with
    a firewall, the game is Diablo 2. I'm thinking of expanding my memory to
    solve the problem.

    Whir, Jun 28, 2003
  6. Whir

    Jimchip Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 09:35:17 +0200, Whir wrote:
    > Thanks for all the advice, you guys are the best.
    > I've got a PII233 with 64MB running Win98SE. I'm using "prevention firewall"
    > which I got from my ISP. I'm guessing it doesn't run very well on my system
    > because it's outdated and the software was written for faster pc's. If there
    > are firewalls or virusscanners out there that would run smoothly on my pc I
    > would love to hear about them. I don't have a virusscanner now, I use
    > housecall (online virusscanner) because I dont have to install it. I tried
    > installing mcAfee for instance, that really didn't work. I would really
    > appreciate any advice here.

    Anti-virus
    http://www.grisoft.com/html/us_index.htm

    Anti-spyware
    Ad-Aware: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    Spybot S&D (because trout said so):
    http://security.kolla.de
    Mara says, "A-spy is handy, too."
    http://miika.no-ip.org/ftp/?C=M&O=A

    Firewall
    http://www.zonelabs.com/

    Startup Monitor
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml

    > Altough I think I wont be playing it online anymore before I can do so with
    > a firewall, the game is Diablo 2. I'm thinking of expanding my memory to
    > solve the problem.

    You should try ZoneAlarm and give your Diablo client permission to connect
    to the Internet.

    More memory will certainly help but I doubt it will "solve the problem". Any
    applications you have running (e.g. firewall) are going to put a drag on the
    PII233 while you are game playing.

    (lifted from /. Posted by jamie.)

    Jimchip, Jun 28, 2003
  7. Whir

    sethra Guest

    "Whir" <> wrote in news:bdistb$egg$:

    > I've recently bought a game whitch I'd like to play over the internet.
    > However my firewall really slows down my pc. When it's not running
    > everything is fine.
    >
    > I might play the game for several hours every day without a firewall.
    > My question is: "Is that really, really stupid or just slightly risky
    > ?".
    >
    > thanks

    Here's a few questions to determine whether it's really really stupid or
    just slightly risky:

    If the answer to any of the following is YES, then *you need a
    firewall*:

    Do you have any programs on the computer that can't be reinstalled for
    whatever reason?

    Do you have any irreplaceable files (photos, documents, records, etc)
    stored on the HD?

    Do you have any information stored on the computer which might foment
    identity theft (credit card #, SSN, bank account info, financial
    records, etc)?

    Do you have an "always-on" broadband connection?

    Do you visit warez, crack, porn, or other "underground" sites?

    If the answer to any of the following is NO, then *you need a firewall*:

    Is your antivirus/antitrojan software up to date?

    Do you know how to format the HD and reinstall the OS if necessary?

    Recommendation: (to use an old cliche) Better safe than sorry. Use a
    firewall. You might try Kerio Personal Firewall which isn't bloatware.
    It's free for personal use.

    http://www.kerio.com/us/kpf_home.html

    If you're worried about computer performance hits from a software
    firewall, and unwilling to upgrade the computer itself, then a hardware
    firewall would be the best solution -- but a true hardware firewall will
    set you back several hundred dollars.

    A less secure solution would be a NAT-capable router. It's not a true
    hardware firewall, but does offer some of the benefits. Decent routers
    go for less than $60 these days.

    HTH
    ~sethra

    sethra, Jun 28, 2003
  8. Whir

    Shep© Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 03:56:59 +0200, Whilst playing Smegball with the
    scutters "Whir" <> wrote :

    >I've recently bought a game whitch I'd like to play over the internet.
    >However my firewall really slows down my pc. When it's not running
    >everything is fine.
    >
    >I might play the game for several hours every day without a firewall. My
    >question is: "Is that really, really stupid or just slightly risky ?".
    >
    >thanks

    Personally I don't run a,"Firewall" because like you as an online
    gamer they can cause Packet loss by their hidden processes even when
    you allow the game's server thru' the firewall.
    If you have an up-to-date anti-virus program and don't run any
    services that allow access to your system then no one can access it
    anyway.There are a lot of myths and paranoia about port scanning.
    Although it may dent a few egos any real Hacker is not interested
    in any data on a home system and you are more likely to damage your
    windows/PC install than any outside influence.
    If you have a CDR/W drive consider making an image of your working
    system as per,
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/cdback.html
    and then you can fully re-install a working setup in less than 10
    minutes and remove the Firewall.
    My 10 penn'th.

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    Free songs download,

    Shep©, Jun 28, 2003
  9. Whir

    Shep© Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 15:49:44 GMT, Whilst playing Smegball with the
    scutters Little Fish in a Big Pond <> wrote :

    >On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 15:59:38 +0100, Shep© <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 03:56:59 +0200, Whilst playing Smegball with the
    >>scutters "Whir" <> wrote :
    >>
    >>>I've recently bought a game whitch I'd like to play over the internet.
    >>>However my firewall really slows down my pc. When it's not running
    >>>everything is fine.
    >>>
    >>>I might play the game for several hours every day without a firewall. My
    >>>question is: "Is that really, really stupid or just slightly risky ?".
    >>>
    >>>thanks

    >>Personally I don't run a,"Firewall" because like you as an online
    >>gamer they can cause Packet loss by their hidden processes even when
    >>you allow the game's server thru' the firewall.
    >>If you have an up-to-date anti-virus program and don't run any
    >>services that allow access to your system then no one can access it
    >>anyway.There are a lot of myths and paranoia about port scanning.

    >Sorry, they are not myths. There are a large number of port scanners
    >out there. Now they are automated.
    >
    >> Although it may dent a few egos any real Hacker is not interested
    >>in any data on a home system and you are more likely to damage your
    >>windows/PC install than any outside influence.

    >True, a real Hacker isn't interested in a home computer. But then
    >Hackers are not the threat to worry about. Crackers ARE interested in
    >home computers. They have discovered that home computers are very
    >easy to enter and rummage through in short order and take the info
    >they want.

    Not if the user doesn't run a service/program to allow them.
    Each to their own.I don't run one and have never had nor will I have a
    problem.
    Consider this.How many problems did you have before learning about or
    using a firewall?
    If it makes people feel more secure all well and good.
    As stated and is my right,"I personally don't run one" for the reasons
    given.

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    Free songs download,

    Shep©, Jun 28, 2003
  10. On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 17:14:04 +0100, Shep© <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 15:49:44 GMT, Whilst playing Smegball with the
    >scutters Little Fish in a Big Pond <> wrote :
    >
    >>On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 15:59:38 +0100, Shep© <> wrote:

    >>>Personally I don't run a,"Firewall" because like you as an online
    >>>gamer they can cause Packet loss by their hidden processes even when
    >>>you allow the game's server thru' the firewall.
    >>>If you have an up-to-date anti-virus program and don't run any
    >>>services that allow access to your system then no one can access it
    >>>anyway.There are a lot of myths and paranoia about port scanning.

    >>Sorry, they are not myths. There are a large number of port scanners
    >>out there. Now they are automated.
    >>
    >>> Although it may dent a few egos any real Hacker is not interested
    >>>in any data on a home system and you are more likely to damage your
    >>>windows/PC install than any outside influence.

    >>True, a real Hacker isn't interested in a home computer. But then
    >>Hackers are not the threat to worry about. Crackers ARE interested in
    >>home computers. They have discovered that home computers are very
    >>easy to enter and rummage through in short order and take the info
    >>they want.

    >Not if the user doesn't run a service/program to allow them.
    >Each to their own.I don't run one and have never had nor will I have a
    >problem.
    >Consider this.How many problems did you have before learning about or
    >using a firewall?
    >If it makes people feel more secure all well and good.
    >As stated and is my right,"I personally don't run one" for the reasons
    >given.

    As you stated it is your right not to run one. It is my right to wish
    you luck. There is a proliferation of Script kiddies out there
    playing away. As for "service/programs" if you are connected to the
    internet, you are running services. Hackers find holes. Crackers
    crack services and Script kiddies attach to the pipeline. As
    corporations and governments get better as securing their sites they
    turn their sites to easier targets.

    They are just the electronic burglars of the day. A bungler comes to
    your door, it's locked tightly, the windows are closed and locked
    tightly. There is plenty of light to illuminate their activities.
    They don't stay, they go somewhere else to find the unlocked door, the
    open window and the dark location to work in.

    Consider this. How many problems did you have before learning about
    or taking a tetanus shot.

    Little Fish in a Big Pond, Jun 28, 2003