    my system and can't figure it out. I would like to edit the holding
    file.
    Thanx

    Wizard, May 5, 2005

  2. Wizard

    JANA Guest

    Passwords that are stored in the local machine, are usually encrypted in to
    the registry. Different software developers have their own approach to how
    they would want to do this.

    If the passwords and names are in the auto-complete with IE, then this is
    with IE. I believe that these are also in the registry. I am very sure that
    there is encryption also used in IE for this feature.

    Many sites have their own database, where they locally store all the user
    information. When this is done, then it has nothing to do with the user's
    local computer. Some sites will drop a cookie in to the user's computer to
    know when a particular user is visiting their site. They can use this cookie
    to identify who the user is.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    "Wizard" <> wrote in message
    If you have XP set to store Usernames and passwords for specific sites
    it will do so ...Can anyone tell me where or how they are stored?
    I've scoured the registry and searched for saved ones in every file on

    JANA, May 5, 2005

  3. "Wizard" <> wrote in message
    > If you have XP set to store Usernames and passwords for specific
    > sites
    > it will do so ...Can anyone tell me where or how they are
    > stored?
    > I've scoured the registry and searched for saved ones in every
    > file on
    > my system and can't figure it out. I would like to edit the
    > holding
    > file.
    > Thanx

    Type 'control userpasswords2' (without the quotes of course) and
    then Advanced for passwords.

    Boscoe Pertwee, May 5, 2005