    Are they still just as good or did they get their chops busted for
    being suspisciously like Braindumps?

    -Nimrod

    Nimrod, May 12, 2004

  2. Nimrod

    Nimrod Guest

    On Thu, 13 May 2004 01:34:46 GMT, Adam Leinss <>
    wrote:

    >Quite honestly, I think they are severely overpriced. You can get
    >several guides that focus on the test for the price they want to charge
    >for just a few questions.
    >
    >Adam

    Maybe things have changed in the last 4 or 5 years, but a lot of the
    study guides were hit and miss depending on the test. All of the
    publishers were inconsistent. The books emphasized the wrong stuff or
    they spent way too many pages conveying the information trying to
    impress the purchasers with the pagecount.

    The bundled test questions served only to give you a false sense of
    security and protect you from early onset of book buyers remorse.

    I thought that the NT 4 Transcenders just about nailed the actual
    exams and that the references they cited were the best ones available
    (usually the MS Official Curriculum and OS Reference Books).

    Of couse, nobody with a modem or friends at work actually *bought* the
    Transcenders back then.

    Yeah, they are pricey, but so is retaking an exam.

    There are a couple of (minor) opportunities coming up at work in the
    next few months. Feeling a bit of pressure to get a couple of new
    certifications out of the way I just ordered Network+ and Security+
    Transcenders and also the Network+ Transtrainer.

    I'm going to work on the A+ after I get one or both of those out of
    the way.

    I wish they were cheaper, or I wish I could find them for free.

    Anyway, the reason I asked about this was that I remembered hearing
    that the Transcender folks got into a little bit of trouble with MS or
    CompTIA because their questions were *too* similar to the real ones.

    I wasn't sure how it played out and whether the value of their product
    declined.

    (And then there is the whole strange phenomenon where the Transcender
    folks go about suing people for copying their questions when all all
    their questions are/were basically questions from the actual exams).

    It was hard to give them credit for a clean-room approach.

    OK..I'm feeling chatty. -Nimrod

    Nimrod, May 13, 2004

  3. Nimrod

    Nimrod Guest

    On Thu, 13 May 2004 12:18:55 GMT, Adam Leinss <>
    wrote:

    >I have used Transcenders from my old company, but again, I was not
    >impressed by what they offered. I used Transcenders for my XP exam and
    >2 of the 3 times I took the test it told me I failed. I went in to take
    >the exam and had no problems what-so-ever, so I wouldn't call
    >Transcenders a "real simulation" of the real thing.
    >
    >Just my 2 cents worth.
    >
    >Adam

    The feature I miss the most is the ability to "Print To A File".

    My favorite way to study was to take a different exam each day of the
    week and print out the questions and explanations that I got wrong for
    review later in the day. I would then incorporate the material into a
    study guide laid out like the Exam Objectives. I made heavy use of
    cutting and pasting to do this. I would read the references and
    include whatever material from that was needed.

    I would cycle through each version of the test and eventually I was
    getting around 100% on each of them.

    It will be possible to use the new exams the same way, I am just going
    to have to do more typing.

    I did feel that for three exams I took, the Transcenders were harder
    than the real exam. The tricky questions from the real exams were
    embedded in the Transcender exams. To the point that if MS and CompTIA
    go around suing braindump sites, you have to wonder how at the same
    time the Transcender Company was an MS partner.

    -Nimrod

    Nimrod, May 13, 2004