    at the moment. How do they get the data off the Hard Drive.

    Thanks

    Mike

    Mikey, Nov 11, 2006

  2. Mikey

    gerry Guest

    The files are captured either with a DVD recorder or a video capture
    card (the Nebula brand seems popular in the UK). The computer data
    files or DVDR are usually encoded into the XviD format by using AutoGK,
    freeware software. That is just my impression from the nfo information
    that uploaders provide with their bittorrents at the UKNova site.

    gerry, Nov 12, 2006

  3. Mikey

    Mikey Guest

    Thanks for the reply, But am still wondering how they encode the DVD at a
    stupidly high resolution 900x500 odd in DD 5.1 sound.

    Of course I can only watch that quality on the PC at the moment, but when I
    do encode it to DVD, the 5.1 sound is still there.

    Thanks Again

    Mikey

    Mikey, Nov 12, 2006
  4. Mikey

    ThePunisher Guest

    Mikey wrote:
    > Keep seeing HD AVI files that have been recorded from BBC HD.
    >
    > How is this done? As far as I know you can only get the chanels from
    > SKY HD at the moment. How do they get the data off the Hard Drive.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Mike

    You don't need the SKY box to get then, and gerry's reply is wrong.

    --
    ThePunisher
    Latitude: 54.67N

    ThePunisher, Nov 13, 2006
  5. Mikey

    Mikey Guest

    If you don't need a Sky box to get BBC HD, how are they doing it?

    I have seen episodes of Torchwood on torrent sites that are in HD with 5.1
    sound.

    How are they transfered to AVI at such a high resolution, and from what
    source?

    Thanks

    Mikey

    Mikey, Nov 14, 2006
  6. Mikey

    Jukka Aho Guest

    Mikey wrote:

    > If you don't need a Sky box to get BBC HD, how are they doing it?

    I don't know anything about the subject, but I'll take a stab at it,
    anyway:

    BBC's own web site mentions that BBC HD is an experimental free-to-air
    HD service which is available via satellite or cable:

    <http://www.bbc.co.uk/digital/tv/tv_hd.shtml>

    For receiving and recording BBC HD broadcasts on cable, you buy a DVB-C
    tuner/demodulator card for your computer. For receiving and recording
    BBC HD broadcasts from a satellite, you buy a DVB-S tuner/demodulator
    card (or possibly a DVB-S2 tuner/demodulator card), instead. The data
    you record is MPEG-2 transport stream, or possibly H.264/MPEG-4 AVC. I
    don't think there's any more magic to it, but if there is someone will
    surely correct me.

    See

    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVB>
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVB-S>
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVB-C>
    <http://www.dvb.org/>
    <http://www.google.com/search?q=dvb-c+card>
    <http://www.google.com/search?q=dvb-s+card>
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-2>
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264>

    --
    znark

    Jukka Aho, Nov 14, 2006
  7. Mikey

    gerry Guest

    And, Mr ThePunisher, what is the right answer? I will post it on
    UKNova's site, to let all the uploaders there know that they are doing
    everything wrong.

    gerry, Nov 14, 2006
  8. Mikey

    gerry Guest

    Below is a description of the Nebula PCI card. With an outside antenna
    it can record free terrestial HD broadcasts on to a computer with
    enough CPU speed and hard drive space.
    ---
    Nebula Electronics DigiTV PCI is a high-performance, highly integrated
    Digital Television entertainment system that allows you to watch and
    record free-to-air Digital Terrestrial Television on your desktop or
    laptop computer.

    The Nebula DigiTV interface is designed to look and feel like a
    Set-Top-Box so that all options, menu items and information are
    displayed in video overlays scaled to the size of the viewing window.
    This means that you can watch Digital TV in full-screen mode at a
    distance with a remote control and not have to get up to use the
    keyboard or read programme descriptions. It also means that the
    on-screen menus are simplicity itself to navigate. There is even an
    option to shut-down your PC using the remote!

    Digital Television Recording
    With the Nebula DigiTV package, you get an Integrated Digital Video
    Recorder that lets you record programmes using either a timer, or
    simply by clicking the programme in the 7-Day Electronic Programme
    Guide (EPG). All video recordings are made to a user-selectable
    directory on your hard disk, and are categorised by programme name. The
    recordings are made in MPEG2 format so that you can play them back at
    the same quality as the original. If you want to record all programmes
    on a channel, just hit the 'Record' button and DigiTV will split each
    of the recorded programmes into its own file.

    gerry, Nov 14, 2006