how are newsgroups started?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by spiritually_me, Apr 28, 2004.

  1. I'd like to start a new group, but I have no idea how or even if it's
    possible. Does anyone know if it is and how to do it? TIA
    spiritually_me, Apr 28, 2004

  2. spiritually_me wrote:

    > I'd like to start a new group, but I have no idea how or even if it's
    > possible. Does anyone know if it is and how to do it? TIA

    If the idea is correcty discussed in advance and then the control
    message correctly composed, a newgroup command message would do the job
    (in the alt heirarchy). But it's highly unlikely that any of the
    propellerheads running the newsservers would give a damn or allow it on
    their servers if there is any reason whatsoever to block it.

    Or if you're really sure you have a great idea for a group that the
    entire world would love and there is no other group that serves that
    need, ask your news admin to do this for you.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 29, 2004

  3. spiritually_me wrote:

    > I'd like to start a new group, but I have no idea how or even if it's
    > possible. Does anyone know if it is and how to do it? TIA

    The first thing you need is two whole chickens. Live. Not dead. Preferably
    angry. (Angry chickens help with group propagation to the servers. No one
    knows why.)

    Next you will need a portion of suitable incense to burn during the creation
    ceremony. Sandalwood is nice.

    You will also have to pay special attention to the required ritual dress.
    Bare feet. Grass skirt. Mask hand carved of ebony. Two feathers of the
    phoenix affixed to the brow of the mask such that when worn they appear to
    be angled from the head in a forward leaning direction at approximately 45
    degrees.

    2 1/2 cups of all purpose flour.
    Salt (to taste).
    Hot oil.
    Ceremonial knife.

    Begin by dressing up in the ceremonial garb. Go outside just after dark to
    your front lawn. If you don't have a lawn then the street in front of your
    place of residence will do. The key is that it *must be* a public place
    adjacent to your home and neighbors.

    Light the incense. Kill both chickens and smear the blood across all of your
    exposed skin.

    Now grab both fowl by the feet, one to each hand, turn in circles forty
    three and one half times exactly whilst chanting the name of your proposed
    group in reverse.

    Lather.

    Rinse.

    Repeat.

    Pluck, gut, clean and cut chicken into serving size pieces, coat with flour,
    season with salt and fry.

    Wait two weeks and check usenet to see if your new group has propagated. If
    not ... then go to http://www.google.com and search for "How do I start a
    newsgroup?"

    [Originally posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk by Oxford Systems. This version
    has been slightly edited.]

    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
    Gary G. Taylor, Apr 29, 2004
  4. spiritually_me

    Boomer Guest

    "spiritually_me" <> did say:

    > I'd like to start a new group, but I have no idea how or even if it's
    > possible. Does anyone know if it is and how to do it? TIA

    Google.com and fix your clock please. Thank you.
    Boomer, Apr 29, 2004
  5. spiritually_me wrote:

    > I'd like to start a new group, but I have no idea how or even if it's
    > possible. Does anyone know if it is and how to do it? TIA

    The cut-off was last year. You're too late.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 4892F
    AOL Diary: (New 4/22) http://snipurl.com/aoldiary
    Blinky the Shark, Apr 29, 2004
  6. spiritually_me

    Sunny Guest

    Procedures exist for creating new newsgroups in other
    hierarchies. The rules for creating new newsgroups in all
    other hierarchies except alt are particularly detailed, and
    can be found in regular postings in the newsgroup
    news.announce.newusers. You can also find much relevant information
    in the USENET FAQ repository at:
    ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/
    http://www.geocities.com/nnqweb/ncreate.html
    http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/Lab/6882/ncreate.html

    Sunny, Apr 29, 2004
  7. spiritually_me

    Boomer Guest

    "Sunny" <> did say:

    > Procedures exist for creating new newsgroups in other
    > hierarchies. The rules for creating new newsgroups in all
    > other hierarchies except alt are particularly detailed, and
    > can be found in regular postings in the newsgroup
    > news.announce.newusers. You can also find much relevant
    > information in the USENET FAQ repository at:
    > ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/
    > http://www.geocities.com/nnqweb/ncreate.html
    > http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/Lab/6882/ncreate.html

    Why tell me?

    Boomer, Apr 29, 2004
  8. spiritually_me

    Sunny Guest

    "Boomer" <> wrote in message
    > Why tell me?

    Did you miss >"spiritually_me" <>
    from the post ? Or is reading and comprehension a weak point ?

    Sunny, Apr 29, 2004
  9. spiritually_me

    Boomer Guest

    "Sunny" <> did say:

    > "Boomer" <> wrote in message
    >> Why tell me?

    > Did you miss >"spiritually_me" <>
    > from the post ? Or is reading and comprehension a weak point ?
    >
    >> "Sunny" <> did say:
    >> > Procedures exist for >

    >> > "Boomer" <> wrote in message

    You replied to me not the OP, 'spiritually_me".

    Please reply directly to the person you want to give the information
    to.

    Apparently replyint to the correct person is your weak area.

    Boomer, Apr 29, 2004
  10. spiritually_me

    Sunny Guest

    "Boomer" <> wrote in message
    > You replied to me not the OP, 'spiritually_me".

    <snip>
    Crap, I left both of you in the thread, it's usernet not bloody e-mail.
    Sunny, Apr 30, 2004
  11. spiritually_me

    Boomer Guest

    "Sunny" <> did say:

    > "Boomer" <> wrote in message
    >> You replied to me not the OP, 'spiritually_me".

    > <snip>
    > Crap, I left both of you in the thread, it's usernet not bloody
    > e-mail.

    Doesn't matter. In real life, usenet, e-mail...
    you reply to correct person.

    You don't throw a reply just any old place in a thread.
    Boomer, Apr 30, 2004
  12. spiritually_me

    Boomer Guest

    Boomer <> did say:

    > "Sunny" <> did say:
    >

    >> "Boomer" <> wrote in message
    >>> You replied to me not the OP, 'spiritually_me".

    >> <snip>
    >> Crap, I left both of you in the thread, it's usernet not bloody
    >> e-mail.

    > Doesn't matter.

    <Correction>

    It matters... that..