How are MS questions scored?

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by jen, Dec 5, 2003.

  1. jen

    jen Guest

    For an exam that has a 700 line for pass or
    fail(700 pass, 695 fail), how are each of the
    answers scored? (Select all that apply)

    (a) If it's multiple choice and it say's,
    "Select all that apply", and you only get
    2 out of the 3 correct choices, do you get
    nothing for the question or partial credit?

    (b) Also, do the questions get harder, the more
    questions you answer correct?

    (c) Can you get reimbursed for a failed test when
    the equipment is sub standard? i.e. The monitor
    frequency is set so low that the screen waves
    back at you. And, the messenger service is
    started on the test machine and every minute
    or so a damn message dialog pops up on the screen.

    thanks...

    --
    Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.
    jen, Dec 5, 2003

  2. jen

    MCSE World Guest

    As for C, you need to take issues such as this up with the testign center
    IMMEDIATELY after your test, showing them the issues you have. If you don't
    do that and get it in the "Site Report" or whatever they might call it,
    you'll get nothing from them.

    Best,
    Will
    www.mcseworld.com

    MCSE World, Dec 5, 2003

  3. jen

    Roger Abell Guest

    Personally I would be so outraged at the Messenger
    service issue I would get up, find the site's exam
    administrator and demand that they fix the problem
    and restart the exam.
    They obviously have no clue.

    --
    Roger Abell
    MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA

    Roger Abell, Dec 6, 2003
  4. Hi!

    jen wrote:
    > For an exam that has a 700 line for pass or
    > fail(700 pass, 695 fail), how are each of the
    > answers scored? (Select all that apply)
    >
    > (a) If it's multiple choice and it say's,
    > "Select all that apply", and you only get
    > 2 out of the 3 correct choices, do you get
    > nothing for the question or partial credit?

    On Microsoft's Training and Certification Website, I found a demo for
    'testing innovations' and in the faq section the following statements.
    Be aware, this stands for the demo of designexams, not for the real
    exam... >;-)

    http://www.microsoft.com/traincert/mcpexams/faq/innovations.asp

    Q. Some questions require multiple answers. Will I get credit for

    A. For some questions, you can receive partial credit for
    partially correct responses.

    Q. Some questions look like they could have more than one correct
    solution.

    A. Some questions do have more than one correct solution. On an
    actual exam with these question types, you would receive full credit for
    choosing any response that is correct. On this demo, responses are not
    scored.

    Q. Are points deducted for incorrect answers?

    A. If you were taking an actual exam with these question types,
    within some questions you would be penalized for incorrect answer
    choices. Any penalty you receive for one question would not affect any
    other question. The lowest score you could receive for any question is
    zero. On this demo, responses are not scored.

    > (b) Also, do the questions get harder, the more
    > questions you answer correct?

    This would mean, they use adaptive exams. I never get an mcp-exam that
    was adaptive, unfortunately. :) While starting 1998 for mcse for nt4,
    there where many rumours that Microsoft will change their exams to
    adaptive style, but nt4 track never changes and 2000 track is also
    'linear'. Perhaps it will change in the future, perhaps not. E.g.
    CompTIA use adaptive exams for their A+ certs.

    > (c) Can you get reimbursed for a failed test when
    > the equipment is sub standard? i.e. The monitor
    > frequency is set so low that the screen waves

    Hm, only if you said it before/under test to the testing admin, but they
    should be able to fix it to at least 70Hz. 800*600 should be also
    minimum! If they aren't able, call directly after the failed test from
    the testing center both mcp-hotline and vue- or prometric-hotline. But
    if you failed to clearly (e.g. less than 500...) how hard could the
    distractions been? They have to believe in what you demand.

    > back at you. And, the messenger service is
    > started on the test machine and every minute
    > or so a damn message dialog pops up on the screen.

    Never heard this could happen. Here in Germany, all testing centers I
    was at (both VUE and Prometric), use extra machines (the _oldest_) or at
    least extra harddisks for the testing places. And while seeing the VUE
    shell starting, I thought no other program could be able to interact
    with you other than the VUE Delivery Client.

    Could you use messenger? ;-)

    cu Hiro
    Hiro Protagonist, Dec 6, 2003
  5. jen

    jen Guest

    Hiro Protagonist wrote:

> [...]

    > Hm, only if you said it before/under test to the testing admin, but they
    > should be able to fix it to at least 70Hz. 800*600 should be also
    > minimum! If they aren't able, call directly after the failed test from
    > the testing center both mcp-hotline and vue- or prometric-hotline. But
    > if you failed to clearly (e.g. less than 500...) how hard could the
    > distractions been? They have to believe in what you demand.
    >

    >> back at you. And, the messenger service is
    >> started on the test machine and every minute
    >> or so a damn message dialog pops up on the screen.

    > Never heard this could happen. Here in Germany, all testing centers I
    > was at (both VUE and Prometric), use extra machines (the _oldest_) or at
    > least extra harddisks for the testing places. And while seeing the VUE
    > shell starting, I thought no other program could be able to interact
    > with you other than the VUE Delivery Client.

    hey i appreciate your input.

    yeah, i could have lived with the flickering, but those damn messeges
    were popping up every other minute for about an hour. believe it or not,
    my score was 694! so close, yet so far away. i'm not using those pop up
    messages as an excuse, but i barely finished in the time required and
    the messages really broke my train of thought while analyzing some of
    those lenghty questions. again, i don't know how, exactly, they score
    each question, but i imagine i was 1 or 2 questions away from passing
    the exam....ARGH!!!

    anyway, if machine issues happen one more time with me, i'm going to
    get up and tell them to fix the damn thing, before i walk out. then
    i'll be contacting the head of the community college where i take
    the exams as well as prometric and ms...i love writing nasty letters
    to people who may or may not care.

    thanks again...it's nice to get valued input, especially from this
    group.

    --
    Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.
    jen, Dec 7, 2003