How a camera was designed, made and marketed ?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by aniramca@gmail.com, Aug 21, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I am very curious if there is a book, or a website which describes the
    process where, how and when a camera (new model, or update of an old
    model) is born. How long was the development of a new design? Who are
    the players behind the design and technical features of the camera?
    Most of the popular cameras has a Japanese origin. However, where are
    all of the components designed and came from? Is the technology
    centers for Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus, etc. are all in
    Japan? Or some of the technical brains (sensors, softwares, etc) came
    from Silicon Valley, from Europe or elsewhere? Panasonic is using
    Leica lenses, Sony is using Carl Zeiss,etc. They are both a european
    companies (Germany). Where the lenses developed in Germany, in Japan,
    or somewhere else? How each of the component manufacturers play
    important roles in the development of the cameras? I assume that
    Kodak also sell sensors to some low end cameras.
    How and who listens to the desires of the consumers? Is there a one
    company which put an importance of complains, praises, requests, and
    other inquiries from the previous users, critiques, professional
    photographers, etc over the other company? Which company is this?
    Just curious.

    Note
    Sometimes, I am as the user is too picky and complain a lot. If one
    consider on how to put together all those small components into a
    workable camera, it sure beats the cost or replacing spare parts of a
    car in a car garage. My cost for a one visit to a garage to maintain
    my car sometimes exceeds the cost of an entry level DSLR! I think
    they do wonderful things with the technology, which can make an
    autofocus, image stabilizer, atomatic features, and many others to
    work or become a reality, everytime you turn on the camera.
    , Aug 21, 2007

  2. Neil Barker Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I am very curious

    I've noticed.

    Out of interest, do you actually take many photographs....

    --
    Neil Barker
    Neil Barker, Aug 21, 2007

  3. Trev Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I am very curious if there is a book, or a website which describes the
    > process where, how and when a camera (new model, or update of an old
    > model) is born. How long was the development of a new design? Who are
    > the players behind the design and technical features of the camera?
    > Most of the popular cameras has a Japanese origin. However, where are
    > all of the components designed and came from? Is the technology
    > centers for Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus, etc. are all in
    > Japan? Or some of the technical brains (sensors, softwares, etc) came
    > from Silicon Valley, from Europe or elsewhere? Panasonic is using
    > Leica lenses, Sony is using Carl Zeiss,etc. They are both a european
    > companies (Germany). Where the lenses developed in Germany, in Japan,

    Sony for instance used the Zeiss name on there early Video cameras as that
    was a well founded name. How much input Zeiss has or had other then hiring
    out its name is Debatable. Leitz the makers of the leica a camera body and
    Leitz lens. Used to work closely with Minolta in research and development.
    the Leica
    R3 to R5 where built by Minolta as where some very good Leitz lens. That
    same lens factory is now owned by Sony. so isit a Ziess desizign, A Leitz
    design, A Minolta desisgn or simpley Tamaron wraped up

    The mass production cameras are made by Panasonic now after having a
    fleeting period with Fuji.
    When digital watches first arrived the Company I worked for had the body's
    made in Switzerland just so the could add Swiss made on the watch as the did
    not think a made in Japan would sell

    Trev, Aug 21, 2007
  4. ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 17:35:46 -0700, wrote:

    > I am very curious if there is a book, or a website which describes the
    > process where, how and when a camera (new model, or update of an old
    > model) is born. How long was the development of a new design? Who are
    > the players behind the design and technical features of the camera?
    > Most of the popular cameras has a Japanese origin. However, where are
    > all of the components designed and came from?

    That kind of information is likely to be found (if at all) in a
    business publication such as Fortune Magazine, Forbes, etc.
    ASAAR, Aug 21, 2007
  5. Guest

    On Aug 21, 3:44 am, Neil Barker <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >
    > > I am very curious

    > I've noticed.
    >
    > Out of interest, do you actually take many photographs....
    >
    > --
    > Neil Barker

    I am taking photos just for my interest. I am an engineer, and
    therefore curious on how things work. Nothing more.... and not a pro.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/aniramca
    , Aug 21, 2007
  6. <> wrote in message
    >I am very curious if there is a book, or a website which describes the
    > process where, how and when a camera (new model, or update of an old
    > model) is born. How long was the development of a new design? Who are
    > the players behind the design and technical features of the camera?
    > Most of the popular cameras has a Japanese origin. However, where are
    > all of the components designed and came from? Is the technology
    > centers for Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus, etc. are all in
    > Japan? Or some of the technical brains (sensors, softwares, etc) came
    > from Silicon Valley, from Europe or elsewhere? Panasonic is using
    > Leica lenses, Sony is using Carl Zeiss,etc. They are both a european
    > companies (Germany). Where the lenses developed in Germany, in Japan,
    > or somewhere else? How each of the component manufacturers play
    > important roles in the development of the cameras? I assume that
    > Kodak also sell sensors to some low end cameras.
    > How and who listens to the desires of the consumers? Is there a one
    > company which put an importance of complains, praises, requests, and
    > other inquiries from the previous users, critiques, professional
    > photographers, etc over the other company? Which company is this?
    > Just curious.

    Hello.

    Have you had a look at the manufacturers' web sites?

    Regards, Ian
    Nottingham, England.

    Fred Anonymous, Aug 21, 2007