    transfer data via usb.... software/prog to do this ???
    many thanks
    dnw

    don ward, Nov 24, 2006

  2. don ward

    lee houston Guest

    "don ward" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have a pc running 98se which is on it death bed and i need to
    > transfer the files to a new computer running xp home.
    > The 98 does not have ethernet but has a usb port ... is there a way to
    > transfer data via usb.... software/prog to do this ???
    > many thanks
    > dnw

    transfer via CD?

    lee houston, Nov 24, 2006

  3. don ward

    don ward Guest

    In article <n8v9h.9635$>,
    "lee houston" <> wrote:
    > transfer via CD?

    CD one of the items that died ....
    thought of that
    dnw

    don ward, Nov 24, 2006
  4. "don ward" <> wrote in message
    >I have a pc running 98se which is on it death bed and i need to
    > transfer the files to a new computer running xp home.
    > The 98 does not have ethernet but has a usb port ... is there a way to
    > transfer data via usb.... software/prog to do this ???
    > many thanks
    > dnw

    Take the HDD out of the Win98 box and install it as a slave drive in the XP
    box.

    You can purchase USB to USB data transfer cables.

    GreenieLeBrun, Nov 24, 2006
  5. don ward

    lee houston Guest

    "don ward" <> wrote in message
    >I have a pc running 98se which is on it death bed and i need to
    > transfer the files to a new computer running xp home.
    > The 98 does not have ethernet but has a usb port ... is there a way to
    > transfer data via usb.... software/prog to do this ???
    > many thanks
    > dnw

    USB flash drives are as low as ten bucks now. a gigabyte costs
    around twenty dollars.

    lee

    lee houston, Nov 24, 2006
  6. don ward wrote:

    > I have a pc running 98se which is on it death bed and i need to
    > transfer the files to a new computer running xp home.
    > The 98 does not have ethernet but has a usb port ... is there a way to
    > transfer data via usb.... software/prog to do this ???
    > many thanks

    You would not only need a active usb cable, but that one must support win98
    with a driver as well.
    Since your cdrom is dead, you better put the two boxen aside, with open
    cover, and connect the 'ol 98 harddrive to the xp box with a ide cable, for
    transfer.
    Make sure you unplug power to both pcs before connecting them. If possible,
    use the xp power supply for the old hd as well, you don't need to turn on
    the '98 mains then.

    Walter Mautner, Nov 24, 2006
  7. don ward

    Butch Haynes Guest

    "lee houston" <> wrote in message

    > "don ward" <> wrote in message
    >>I have a pc running 98se which is on it death bed and i need to
    >> transfer the files to a new computer running xp home.
    >> The 98 does not have ethernet but has a usb port ... is there a way to
    >> transfer data via usb.... software/prog to do this ???
    >> many thanks
    >> dnw

    > USB flash drives are as low as ten bucks now. a gigabyte costs
    > around twenty dollars.
    >
    > lee

    Micro Center has been selling 1 Gig USB drives for $15 for while. I saw the
    Thanksgiving Ad for Circuit City-- 1 G SanDisk for about $12 this weekend
    only--- but then you'd have to go to the store and fight the shopping
    crazies...

    Butch Haynes, Nov 24, 2006
  8. don ward

    Frosty Guest

    On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 05:04:15 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk a thought
    sat on don ward <>'s chest like a vulture, I said
    "Pluck It! And with the feather I'll tickle your throat and you can
    throw it up to me" Said he "I shall" & thus puked:
    >I have a pc running 98se which is on it death bed and i need to
    >transfer the files to a new computer running xp home.
    >The 98 does not have ethernet but has a usb port ... is there a way to
    >transfer data via usb.... software/prog to do this ???
    >many thanks
    >dnw

    I'd yank out the hard drive and pop it into the new box and transfer
    my files that way.

    Frosty, Nov 25, 2006
  9. don ward

    Slippux Guest

    Re: how 2 swap data from win 98 comp to new xp comptr

    >Take the HDD out of the Win98 box and install
    >it as a slave drive in the XP box.

    Stick to the recommendation from GreenieLeBrun. Take the HD out of the
    old computer and set it up as a slave in the new computer. Not only
    will you have faster access to all the data on the old HD, but your new
    computer will have some additional HD space for storing MP3's or
    whatever.

    If you don't know how to setup a computer with two HD's in a
    master/slave relationship, then do a Google search for something like
    this:

    setup master slave hard drive

    Slippux, Nov 25, 2006