    attachments'......HOW DO I GET TO OPEN IT?????? Thanks, and all the
    best.......FRED C.....BTW ..cheers Tom Huxton

    ---

    fredcromer, May 4, 2004

  2. fredcromer

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "fredcromer" <> wrote in
    news:40972ee6$:

    > I recently asked people to help me to write a title in HTML, anyway
    > one bloke sent me a reply and with an attachment, which he said was a
    > plain page with the title i chose ( BILL ),..when it came via
    > Mailwasher,then to Outlook express, and theb to my inbox.....but when
    > i click on the yellow paperclip in the blue-heder pane, all i get is a
    > fadad internet-page title( the blue 'e' with 'Bill htm.' next to it
    > and underneath a faded 'Save attachments'......HOW DO I GET TO OPEN
    > IT?????? Thanks, and all the best.......FRED C.....BTW ..cheers Tom
    > Huxton

    I have users with this problem all the time:
    Tools, Options, Security, uncheck "Do not allow attachments to be saved or
    opened that could be a virus"

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk

    DeMoN LaG, May 4, 2004

  3. fredcromer

    Pepperoni Guest

    http://home.comcast.net/~thuxton/bill.htm
    That's what it looks like. If you go to view/source , you can save as
    notepad.

    Write me back with an IM handle, and I'll get your page rolling tonight.
    (I'm up right NOW)

    Pepperoni
    (Tom Huxton)

    Pepperoni, May 4, 2004
  4. fredcromer

    Thor Guest

    "DeMoN LaG" <> wrote in message
    > "fredcromer" <> wrote in
    >
    > > I recently asked people to help me to write a title in HTML, anyway
    > > one bloke sent me a reply and with an attachment, which he said was a
    > > plain page with the title i chose ( BILL ),..when it came via
    > > Mailwasher,then to Outlook express, and theb to my inbox.....but when
    > > i click on the yellow paperclip in the blue-heder pane, all i get is a
    > > fadad internet-page title( the blue 'e' with 'Bill htm.' next to it
    > > and underneath a faded 'Save attachments'......HOW DO I GET TO OPEN
    > > IT?????? Thanks, and all the best.......FRED C.....BTW ..cheers Tom
    > > Huxton

    > I have users with this problem all the time:
    > Tools, Options, Security, uncheck "Do not allow attachments to be saved or
    > opened that could be a virus"

    Always remind people that they need to close OE, and restart OE after
    unchecking the option though, because the change doesn't take effect until
    the user does that. Avoids a lot of "hey that didn't work" comments. :)

    Thor, May 4, 2004
  5. fredcromer

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in news::

    > Always remind people that they need to close OE, and restart OE after
    > unchecking the option though, because the change doesn't take effect
    > until the user does that. Avoids a lot of "hey that didn't work"
    > comments. :)

    You need to restart for that to work? It's always taken immediate effect
    for me. Hmm...

    DeMoN LaG, May 4, 2004
  6. fredcromer

    Thor Guest

    "DeMoN LaG" <> wrote in message
    > "Thor" <> wrote in news::
    >
    > > Always remind people that they need to close OE, and restart OE after
    > > unchecking the option though, because the change doesn't take effect
    > > until the user does that. Avoids a lot of "hey that didn't work"
    > > comments. :)

    > You need to restart for that to work? It's always taken immediate effect
    > for me. Hmm...

    Never, on any system (multitudes of customer's systems included) has it ever
    taken immediate effect whenever I've changed it. I know because many times,
    I myself forgot to restart OE, and realized it only after attempting to open
    a locked out attachment for a customer, and also confirmed by customers when
    I walked them thru the procedure over the phone, and *they* neglected to
    restart OE first (the "hey that didn't work" comment immediately follows).
    I'm not saying you need restart the whole system, just OE.

    Thor, May 4, 2004
  7. fredcromer

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in news::

    > I'm not saying you need restart the whole system, just OE.

    I understood what you are saying, but the 10 or 20 times I've had to walk a
    user through unchecking it, it has taken effect immediately. They had to
    close the email and reopen it, but restarting OE has never been necessary.

    DeMoN LaG, May 5, 2004
  8. fredcromer

    Thor Guest

    > I understood what you are saying, but the 10 or 20 times I've had to walk
    > user through unchecking it, it has taken effect immediately. They had to
    > close the email and reopen it, but restarting OE has never been necessary.
    >
    > --
    > website: http://www.demonlag.com
    > AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    > email:

    well I'll be a sonofabitch. I've gotta eat some crow on that one. You're
    right. It **IS** just a matter of clicking off the email and then clicking
    back to it. All this time, whenever I or a customer encountered this
    problem, it was evidently because we always had the email with the blocked
    attachment actively selected in the message list or opened in a window.
    Thanks for setting me straight on that. When you were saying it takes effect
    immediately for you, I was thinking to myself, "now dammit, I know I'm not
    hallucinating so WTF is Demon smoking?". The very first time it happened to
    me right after IE6 SP1 came out, my first instinct was just to close OE, and
    restart it. I didn't think to just click off the message and click back to
    it. Duh.

    Thor, May 5, 2004
  9. fredcromer

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in news::

    > Thanks for setting me straight on that. When you were saying it takes
    > effect immediately for you, I was thinking to myself, "now dammit, I
    > know I'm not hallucinating so WTF is Demon smoking?". The very first
    > time it happened to me right after IE6 SP1 came out, my first instinct
    > was just to close OE, and restart it. I didn't think to just click off
    > the message and click back to it. Duh.

    Heh, I knew I was right on this one. Working in a call center, when I tell
    a clueless user to do that and they say "Oh, it worked" I know they didn't
    close and reopen OE because they aren't that smart. My reckoning on it is
    if it required a restart, MS would have a little "(requires restart)" next
    to the checkbox.

    DeMoN LaG, May 5, 2004