Housing Corp stuffs up on Tamaki development

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Rob J, Oct 16, 2005.

  1. Rob J

    Rob J Guest

    It's a strange thing to do when around the country Housing Corp are
    demolishing these multi story flats and replacing them with single
    houses. Labour must be kowtowing like crazy to get as many Housing Corp
    units built for as little money as possible. Maybe Housing Corp has been
    told their funds will be cut to pay for Labour's expensive election
    bribes. No lessons have been learned here from Housing Corp's records of
    building ghetto suburbs by putting so many people all next to each other
    in depressed city streets.

    Families shun $45 million housing complex
    By TIM HUME

    Housing New Zealand is struggling to persuade people to move into its
    most expensive state housing development, because potential tenants
    believe its apartment blocks will become slums.

    Only one in 10 people offered a place in soon-to-be-reopened apartment
    blocks in Auckland's $45 million Talbot Park development in Glen Innes
    has accepted the placement.

    Even people who are the most high priority cases on state housing wait-
    lists have turned up their noses.

    A week before three apartment blocks re-open after a $4.2m
    refurbishment, tenants have been found for only half the 36 units.

    David Hodge, principal of nearby Tamaki College, said families were
    reluctant to move into the apartment blocks, where society's struggling
    groups were crammed together and children had no space to play.

    "This project is showing itself to be a complete failure - even the
    people it's designed to accommodate don't want it," he said.

    "Children and families need their own space. Anywhere you put needy
    people together living on top of each other you create a huge number of
    social problems."

    The $45m Talbot Park project involves squeezing 270 more people into a
    troubled 4ha state housing block by building multi-storey apartments,
    terraced homes and standalone houses, and refurbishing nine existing
    three-storey "star flats".

    Nearly 1000 people will live in Talbot Park when it is completed in
    December next year, and if it is successful, the project will serve as a
    template for other state housing projects.

    Pastor Alfred Ngaro, of the Tamaki Community Church, said the 1960s-era
    "star flats" of predominantly two-bedroom units were never designed to
    house families.

    He said there was a concern that Housing New Zealand had misread the
    needs of the community, which had many large Maori and Pacific Island
    families, by developing so many two-bedroom units.

    The project includes plans for 159 two-bedroom units in contrast to 20
    three-bedroom, eight four-bedroom and seven five-bedroom units.

    Project manager Stuart Bracey said Housing New Zealand originally
    considered demolishing the troubled "star flats", where the 50% annual
    tenant turnover rate reflected problems with alcohol abuse and
    intimidation among neighbours. The corporation opted instead to
    refurbish them at a cost of $120,000 for each two-bedroom unit.

    But only one in five of the tenants who originally occupied the towers
    has opted to return.

    "There's a slow change among the general population towards accepting
    apartment living but our tenants are generally more conservative,"' said
    Bracey.

    Housing New Zealand tenant Mii Brown said he would never move into an
    apartment.

    "It's no good when there's too many of us crammed into one place," he
    said. "You're having a feed with your kids and someone comes along
    crashing and bashing. I don't like living close together like that, no
    way."

    Another resident, Kuga Mani, said she would not move into an apartment
    tower because it would not be a suitable environment for her two young
    children.

    Rob J, Oct 16, 2005

  2. Rob J

    Rob J Guest

    Sorry, wrong group.

    Rob J, Oct 16, 2005

  3. Rob J

    shannon Guest

    (OT) Re: Housing Corp stuffs up on Tamaki development

    Rob J wrote:
    <a bunch of off topic crap>

    You should know better Dunford.
    Post this crap where it belongs.
    Not in nz.comp

    shannon, Oct 16, 2005
  4. Rob J

    Brian Dooley Guest

    On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 09:43:01 +1300, Rob J <>
    wrote:

    >Sorry, wrong group.

    Thought so.

    I don't know what your reigion is, but I have to admire your
    faith.
    --

    Brian Dooley

    Wellington New Zealand

    Brian Dooley, Oct 17, 2005
  5. Rob J

    steve Guest

    Totally off-topic and inappropriate

    Rob J wrote:

    > It's a strange thing to do when around the country Housing Corp are
    > demolishing these multi story flats and replacing them with single
    > houses.

    This shouldn't be posted in nz.comp

    steve, Oct 18, 2005
  6. Rob J

    steve Guest

    Re: (OT) Re: Housing Corp stuffs up on Tamaki development

    shannon wrote:

    > Rob J wrote:
    > <a bunch of off topic crap>
    >
    > You should know better Dunford.
    > Post this crap where it belongs.
    > Not in nz.comp

    Is "Rob J" Patrick Dunford?

    No wonder he's averse to anything resembling a verifiable fact.

    steve, Oct 18, 2005
  7. Rob J

    Rob J Guest

    Re: Totally off-topic and inappropriate

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Rob J wrote:
    >
    > > It's a strange thing to do when around the country Housing Corp are
    > > demolishing these multi story flats and replacing them with single
    > > houses.

    > This shouldn't be posted in nz.comp

    A smart fellow like you would have seen the apology I posted.

    Rob J, Oct 18, 2005
  8. Rob J

    Rob J Guest

    Re: (OT) Re: Housing Corp stuffs up on Tamaki development

    In article <4352c67d$>, says...
    > Rob J wrote:
    > <a bunch of off topic crap>
    >
    > You should know better Dunford.
    > Post this crap where it belongs.
    > Not in nz.comp

    Who?
    Are you some kind of low life stalker? Your few contributions in these
    forums appear quite free of substance.

    Rob J, Oct 18, 2005
  9. Rob J

    steve Guest

    Rob J wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> Rob J wrote:
    >>
    >> > It's a strange thing to do when around the country Housing Corp are
    >> > demolishing these multi story flats and replacing them with single
    >> > houses.

    >> This shouldn't be posted in nz.comp

    > A smart fellow like you would have seen the apology I posted.

    It was bad enough reading one of your posts...... :)

    steve, Oct 19, 2005
  10. Rob J

    Rob J Guest

    Re: Totally off-topic and inappropriate

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Rob J wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...

    > >> This shouldn't be posted in nz.comp

    > > A smart fellow like you would have seen the apology I posted.

    > It was bad enough reading one of your posts...... :)

    Nobody made you.

    Rob J, Oct 19, 2005