Housecall65 DNS error

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Rock, Feb 6, 2006.

  1. Rock

    Rock Guest

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    I've been unsuccessful at running Trendmicro's housecall65 from one
    computer. Another running the same Win2K latest updates OS version
    has no problem.

    When I launch Housecall, I get through the intro screens, but when I
    get to the world map page with the message "updating the scan engine"
    on the left side, it times out and I get the browser message "the page
    cannot be displayed" and "cannot find server or DNS error" message at
    the bottom of the page.

    I've looked at my hosts file and it seems to be OK.

    The other computer works just fine.

    Additionally on the errant computer, I sometimes get a browser error
    that when I send the error report, I get the more information"turn off
    browser extensions". The browser extensions are off and have been off
    for a long time.

    The other odd thing is that I have the security settings set to
    basically prompt everything, but I have "*.trendmicro.com" in the
    "trusted sites" security zone of IE. I still get prompted when going
    to the housecall65.trendmicro.com website, which leads me to believe
    the URL being displayed is not in fact the URL that trendmicro's
    housecall stuff is at. Very annoying. But this happens on both the
    working and on the non-working computer, so I guess it's just
    trendmicro's decision to use off-site hosting.

    Again, any suggestions would be appreciated.

    rock
    Rock, Feb 6, 2006

  2. From: "Rock" <>

    | Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    |
    | I've been unsuccessful at running Trendmicro's housecall65 from one
    | computer. Another running the same Win2K latest updates OS version
    | has no problem.
    |
    | When I launch Housecall, I get through the intro screens, but when I
    | get to the world map page with the message "updating the scan engine"
    | on the left side, it times out and I get the browser message "the page
    | cannot be displayed" and "cannot find server or DNS error" message at
    | the bottom of the page.
    |
    | I've looked at my hosts file and it seems to be OK.
    |
    | The other computer works just fine.
    |
    | Additionally on the errant computer, I sometimes get a browser error
    | that when I send the error report, I get the more information"turn off
    | browser extensions". The browser extensions are off and have been off
    | for a long time.
    |
    | The other odd thing is that I have the security settings set to
    | basically prompt everything, but I have "*.trendmicro.com" in the
    | "trusted sites" security zone of IE. I still get prompted when going
    | to the housecall65.trendmicro.com website, which leads me to believe
    | the URL being displayed is not in fact the URL that trendmicro's
    | housecall stuff is at. Very annoying. But this happens on both the
    | working and on the non-working computer, so I guess it's just
    | trendmicro's decision to use off-site hosting.
    |
    | Again, any suggestions would be appreciated.
    |
    | rock

    You can use the following tool and the Trend Micro module which uses the Trend Sysclean
    utility. It uses the same signature (pattern file) as the web site.

    Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --

    Choose; Unzip
    Choose; Close

    Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT

    This will bring up the initial menu of choices and should be executed in Normal Mode.
    This way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor's web site.
    The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Kaspersky, Exit this menu and Reboot the PC.

    file. http://www.ik-cs.com/multi-av.htm

    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
    David H. Lipman, Feb 6, 2006

  3. Rock

    Rock Guest

    Thanks for the help.

    I did as instructed, the file downloaded fine, unzipped, and I ran it.

    It selected the Trend AV scan, and the log found a bunch of files that
    could not be accessed for read (I installed a web-server a long time
    ago which I used for some development, it's disabled in control panel
    now), and a few system files. I verified the checksums of the system
    files files with another computer, so they are fine.

    The trend scan found one virus, TROJ_DELF.VX.

    Interesting, I googled on this and could not find any information on
    it. The last time I scanned my other computer, the same virus was
    found, and I googled then too to no avail. I found some other DELF
    info, but nothing on DELF.VX.

    The log said it cleaned the virus. I rebooted and tried the
    web-version of trend again, and the same error happens, when it gets
    to that screen, the update engine web site can't be found. I've
    written some net search code on this machine, using sockraw and other
    stuff, so it's been beat up pretty good. May need a reinstall.

    Interesting.

    I will now go back and retry the local scan, and use the other engines
    to see what happens there. But I'm thinking there may be something
    wrong with my network driver, I'm using fixed IP in the failing
    computer, and DHCP in the working one, because in the non-working one
    I put it in the DMZ every once in awhile for testing out some web
    stuff.

    Thanks for your help. Still investigating.

    rock

    Rock, Feb 7, 2006
  4. From: "Rock" <>

    | Thanks for the help.
    |
    | I did as instructed, the file downloaded fine, unzipped, and I ran it.
    |
    | It selected the Trend AV scan, and the log found a bunch of files that
    | could not be accessed for read (I installed a web-server a long time
    | ago which I used for some development, it's disabled in control panel
    | now), and a few system files. I verified the checksums of the system
    | files files with another computer, so they are fine.
    |
    | The trend scan found one virus, TROJ_DELF.VX.
    |
    | Interesting, I googled on this and could not find any information on
    | it. The last time I scanned my other computer, the same virus was
    | found, and I googled then too to no avail. I found some other DELF
    | info, but nothing on DELF.VX.
    |
    | The log said it cleaned the virus. I rebooted and tried the
    | web-version of trend again, and the same error happens, when it gets
    | to that screen, the update engine web site can't be found. I've
    | written some net search code on this machine, using sockraw and other
    | stuff, so it's been beat up pretty good. May need a reinstall.
    |
    | Interesting.
    |
    | I will now go back and retry the local scan, and use the other engines
    | to see what happens there. But I'm thinking there may be something
    | wrong with my network driver, I'm using fixed IP in the failing
    | computer, and DHCP in the working one, because in the non-working one
    | I put it in the DMZ every once in awhile for testing out some web
    | stuff.
    |
    | Thanks for your help. Still investigating.
    |
    | rock

    You don't google on virus names. It doesn't help. You go to the virus library of the
    vendor that identified it.

    trend Micro's library is at...
    http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default.asp

    The DELF.VX is not listed and based upon the .VX suffix, it is mostly likely new. The Delf
    is a large family.

    You don't need the web based scanner when you have the Sysclean utility. Becuase it is a
    command line utility that doesn't need to use a Browser, it has a higher chance of cleaning
    a PC.

    I would suggest using the other AV modules and see what they find (or not) and don't worry
    about the Sysclean log about now being able to read files. It is normal opderation.

    David H. Lipman, Feb 7, 2006