hour glass will not go away

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Duane Arnold, Nov 19, 2005.

  1. Duane Arnold

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "detap" <> wrote in
    news:vQOff.120$:

    > I am running win.ME and when I boot up my computer it don't seem to
    > boot all the way up ....The hour glass dose not go away and when I try
    > to open one of the icons on the desktop they do not open can some one
    > tell me what is the mater with it [[ pat[[

    What's wrong is Windows ME.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Nov 19, 2005

  2. Duane Arnold

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:Xns9713A0F27994Bnotmenotmecom@207.217.125.201,
    Duane Arnold spewed forth:
    > "detap" <> wrote in
    >
    >> I am running win.ME and when I boot up my computer it don't seem to
    >> boot all the way up ....The hour glass dose not go away and when I
    >> try to open one of the icons on the desktop they do not open can
    >> some one tell me what is the mater with it [[ pat[[
    >>

    > What's wrong is Windows ME.
    >
    > Duane :)

    That and his clock - the poor computer is freaking out trying to figure out
    how it made up an extra hour...

    --
    Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
    still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
    Toolman Tim, Nov 19, 2005

  3. Duane Arnold

    joevan Guest

    On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 15:56:55 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

    >In news:Xns9713A0F27994Bnotmenotmecom@207.217.125.201,
    >Duane Arnold spewed forth:
    >> "detap" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I am running win.ME and when I boot up my computer it don't seem to
    >>> boot all the way up ....The hour glass dose not go away and when I
    >>> try to open one of the icons on the desktop they do not open can
    >>> some one tell me what is the mater with it [[ pat[[
    >>>

    >> What's wrong is Windows ME.
    >>
    >> Duane :)

    >That and his clock - the poor computer is freaking out trying to figure out
    >how it made up an extra hour...

    Bingo, I think you scored 100% on that call.
    The only person I know who as far as I know has used ME succesfully
    for a long time is my tax man who uses it on his laptop computer and
    nothing else gets in the way. That is to say it is a dedicated tax
    program. No on line stuff or anything else.
    and for the same reason."
    joevan, Nov 20, 2005
  4. Duane Arnold

    philo Guest

    "detap" <> wrote in message
    > I am running win.ME and when I boot up my computer it don't seem to boot
    > all the way up ....The hour glass dose not go away and when I try to open
    > one of the icons on the desktop they do not open can some one tell me what
    > is the mater with it [[ pat[[

    maybe the hour glass just needs more sand!

    but seriously...hit F8 while booting up
    and from safe mode you can try a system restore

    detap, Nov 20, 2005
  6. Duane Arnold

    jpgill Guest

    "detap" <> wrote in message
    >I am running win.ME and when I boot up my computer it don't seem to boot
    > all the way up ....The hour glass dose not go away and when I try to open
    > one of the icons on the desktop they do not open can some one tell me what
    > is the mater with it [[ pat[[

    You should upgrade from ME. It's a garbage OS if you ask me.
    jpgill, Nov 20, 2005
  7. Duane Arnold

    Mellowed Guest

    The negative comments on Windows ME are valid. I'm running Win ME on an
    old PII-400. It is very temperamental. I have to be very selective of
    what programs I install. This is a trial and error method. I would
    update to XP except my limited CPU power and RAM make that an ill
    advised update.

    I suggest that you make life simple for your ME. Try to minimize
    running any background programs. You will probably be surprised to note
    what is running behind the scenes. Suggest that you go into MSCONFIG
    and uncheck any programs that are absolutely un-necessary to the use of
    your computer. If you still have problems, uncheck one at a time
    programs such as your AV and Firewall. If the problem goes away, then
    try running another competitive program in its place.

    You might clean up your computer in general such as your IE Caches, temp
    folders, etc. You never know what could be going on without your
    knowledge.

    "detap" <> wrote in message
    : I am running win.ME and when I boot up my computer it don't seem to
    boot
    : all the way up ....The hour glass dose not go away and when I try to
    open
    : one of the icons on the desktop they do not open can some one tell me
    what
    : is the mater with it [[ pat[[
    :
    :