    | www.homeofficerecords.com www.ethanlipton.com
    The Gigometer | Pepper Of The Earth: the HO blog
    www.gigometer.com | www.homeofficerecords.com/blog

    Pierre Jelenc, Sep 13, 2005

  2. Pierre Jelenc

    Darrell Guest

    "Pierre Jelenc" <> wrote in message
    news:dg546a$r78$...

    > Can one find somewhere a generic hotshoe to hotshoe flash cable (about 3ft
    > extended) to connect a Lumix FZ20 to an Olympus T-32 flash in manual mode?
    >
    > Olympus has a hs-to-hs cable but prices range from $60 to $90! Rather
    > steep for a simple piece of wire and bits of plastic.
    >
    > A salesman at B&H assured me that such cables didn't even exist! He
    > insisted that I needed a hotshoe-to-jack and an "adapter".

    Look for Duo-Sync, I don't think they are still in manufacturer but they pop
    up on eBay for $10-20

    Darrell, Sep 13, 2005

  3. Pierre Jelenc

    Roy Guest

    > Can one find somewhere a generic hotshoe to hotshoe flash cable (about 3ft
    > extended) to connect a Lumix FZ20 to an Olympus T-32 flash in manual mode?
    >
    > Olympus has a hs-to-hs cable but prices range from $60 to $90! Rather
    > steep for a simple piece of wire and bits of plastic.
    >
    > A salesman at B&H assured me that such cables didn't even exist! He
    > insisted that I needed a hotshoe-to-jack and an "adapter".
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Pierre
    > --
    > Pierre Jelenc | New on Home Office Records: Ethan Lipton
    > | www.homeofficerecords.com www.ethanlipton.com
    > The Gigometer | Pepper Of The Earth: the HO blog
    > www.gigometer.com | www.homeofficerecords.com/blog

    Hi.

    What you need is a Hotshoe adaptor for the Camera, which has a Pc socket on
    it. And a Hotshoe to cable adaptor for the Flash, which has a short Pc
    Cable coming out. You can then buy Pc Extensiion Synch Cables of whatever
    length you need and interconnect the 2 Adaptors.

    It might look a bit untidy,but it will work, and be much cheaper than any
    Dedicated Adaptor Cable.

    Roy G

    Roy, Sep 13, 2005
  4. Pierre Jelenc, Sep 13, 2005
  5. Roy <> writes:

    > What you need is a Hotshoe adaptor for the Camera, which has a Pc socket on
    > it. And a Hotshoe to cable adaptor for the Flash, which has a short Pc
    > Cable coming out. You can then buy Pc Extensiion Synch Cables of whatever
    > length you need and interconnect the 2 Adaptors.

    That sounds like what the salesman was talking about, but what's a Pc
    socket?

    > It might look a bit untidy,but it will work, and be much cheaper than any
    > Dedicated Adaptor Cable.

    But I don't want anything dedicated, on the contrary I want something as
    generic as possible: plain ISO hotshoe to plain ISO hotshoe, with one
    contact in the middle and one contact surrounding it in a horseshoe
    pattern. Plain on/off trigger, nothing else; the FZ20 cannot control the
    flash, only fire it.

    Pierre

    Pierre Jelenc, Sep 13, 2005
  6. Pierre Jelenc

    Roy Guest

    > Roy <> writes:
    >>
    >> What you need is a Hotshoe adaptor for the Camera, which has a Pc socket
    >> on
    >> it. And a Hotshoe to cable adaptor for the Flash, which has a short Pc
    >> Cable coming out. You can then buy Pc Extensiion Synch Cables of
    >> whatever
    >> length you need and interconnect the 2 Adaptors.

    > That sounds like what the salesman was talking about, but what's a Pc
    > socket?
    >
    >> It might look a bit untidy,but it will work, and be much cheaper than any
    >> Dedicated Adaptor Cable.

    > But I don't want anything dedicated, on the contrary I want something as
    > generic as possible: plain ISO hotshoe to plain ISO hotshoe, with one
    > contact in the middle and one contact surrounding it in a horseshoe
    > pattern. Plain on/off trigger, nothing else; the FZ20 cannot control the
    > flash, only fire it.
    >
    > Pierre
    > --
    > Pierre Jelenc | New on Home Office Records: Ethan Lipton
    > | www.homeofficerecords.com www.ethanlipton.com
    > The Gigometer | Pepper Of The Earth: the HO blog
    > www.gigometer.com | www.homeofficerecords.com/blog

    Hi there.

    You will be glad to know that Pc Sockets and Plugs have nothing to do with
    computers.

    They are the small co-axial sockets you used to get on every camera, (before
    all this allegedly hi-tec, autofocus and fully automatic crap we get
    nowadays), into which you could plug a cable from the Flashgun. Some of the
    DSLRs still have them.

    The adaptor for the Camera Shoe has one of those sockets.

    The Adaprtor for the Flashgun Shoe, will have a short cable( 6 inches)
    coming out with a little plug which will fit into one of those sockets.

    Both of the Adaptors will be Single Contact to the Centre Pin. The other
    contact is usually the flange of the Adaptor which contacts a little Spring
    under the Flange of the Camera Shoe.

    You should be able to get extension cable which will have a plug at one end
    and an inline socket at the other.

    Roy G

    Roy, Sep 14, 2005
  7. Roy <> writes:

    > They are the small co-axial sockets you used to get on every camera, (before
    > all this allegedly hi-tec, autofocus and fully automatic crap we get
    > nowadays), into which you could plug a cable from the Flashgun. Some of the
    > DSLRs still have them.

    Is this something like what's on my flash:

    http://www.web-ho.com/temp/P1140903.jpg

    Pierre

    Pierre Jelenc, Sep 14, 2005
  8. Pierre Jelenc

    Roy Guest

    > Roy <> writes:
    >>
    >> They are the small co-axial sockets you used to get on every camera,
    >> (before
    >> all this allegedly hi-tec, autofocus and fully automatic crap we get
    >> nowadays), into which you could plug a cable from the Flashgun. Some of
    >> the
    >> DSLRs still have them.

    > Is this something like what's on my flash:
    >
    > http://www.web-ho.com/temp/P1140903.jpg
    >
    > Pierre
    > --
    > Pierre Jelenc | New on Home Office Records: Ethan Lipton
    > | www.homeofficerecords.com www.ethanlipton.com
    > The Gigometer | Pepper Of The Earth: the HO blog
    > www.gigometer.com | www.homeofficerecords.com/blog

    Hi again.

    It is possible, but unlikely, none of the flash guns I have have a Pc Socket
    on board. They nearly all have a socket, but a Pc plug does not fit it.
    The plug for the Flash gun socket tends to have a projecting center point.

    The little cable which does plug in-to the Flash gun will have a Pc Plug on
    the other end. So if both ends can be plugged together, your flash does
    have a Pc socket.

    Roy G

    Roy, Sep 14, 2005
  9. Roy <> writes:

    > The little cable which does plug in-to the Flash gun will have a Pc Plug on
    > the other end. So if both ends can be plugged together, your flash does
    > have a Pc socket.

    No, then. It has 4 pins, and both ends of the cable are male. Oh well.

    Pierre

    Pierre Jelenc, Sep 14, 2005
  10. In article <dg546a$r78$>, (Pierre
    Jelenc) wrote:

    > Can one find somewhere a generic hotshoe to hotshoe flash cable (about 3ft
    > extended) to connect a Lumix FZ20 to an Olympus T-32 flash in manual mode?
    >
    > Olympus has a hs-to-hs cable but prices range from $60 to $90! Rather
    > steep for a simple piece of wire and bits of plastic.

    Pierre-

    Do you plan to use the T-32 on the camera, with the cable connected
    between the T-32's side socket and the Lumix flash? If you could do that,
    do you know it will work?

    The Olympus Bounce Grip and Camera Bracket for the T-32, has a socket with
    the same connection as on the side of the T-32. It is normally used with
    a cable connecting between the bracket and the camera body, either to a
    separate connector on the body (OM-4) or to an adapter in place of the hot
    shoe (OM-2). If it would work connected to the T-32's side connector, you
    could use the bounce grip to hold the Lumix flash.

    I don't know of any cheaper way to achieve this.

    As a side note, the Olympus camera bracket also has a "PC Cord" built-in,
    with the cable and co-axial PC connector stored on its bottom side.

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Sep 15, 2005
  11. Fred McKenzie <> writes:

    > Do you plan to use the T-32 on the camera, with the cable connected
    > between the T-32's side socket and the Lumix flash? If you could do that,
    > do you know it will work?

    I've used the flash directly in the hotshoe, and that works perfectly well
    except that I get these hard shadows.

    What I want to do is hold the flash at arm's length, and with a diffuser
    over the light, so as to achieve the equivalent of a bounced flash in
    music clubs where the ceiling is usually painted black and/or is too high
    for effective bouncing.

    > The Olympus Bounce Grip and Camera Bracket for the T-32, has a socket with
    > the same connection as on the side of the T-32.

    That's a solution for a different problem, which I don't really have at
    this moment.

    I must say that I am stunned that a simple hotshoe-to-hotshoe cable is not
    a standard commodity. I cannot fathom the reason for that intermediary PC
    connector and my engineer's mind rebels against such extraneous complica-
    tion and potential failure point.

    Pierre

    Pierre Jelenc, Sep 15, 2005
  12. In article <dgcgct$7at$>, (Pierre
    Jelenc) wrote:

    > I must say that I am stunned that a simple hotshoe-to-hotshoe cable is not
    > a standard commodity. I cannot fathom the reason for that intermediary PC
    > connector and my engineer's mind rebels against such extraneous complica-
    > tion and potential failure point.

    Pierre-

    I believe Darrell mentioned such a cable (Duo-Sync) early on. I have one
    for a Pentax camera. It also provides the TTL and ready-light contacts,
    but would appear to work for your application as well.

    The company may still be in business. I see one is listed at B&H:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/800199094-USE/Duo_Sync_Off_Camera_Flash_Cord_for.html
    for an Olympus camera. I expect one for any camera with a standard
    hotshoe would work in manual flash mode.

    My previous comments were based on the photo you provided showing the T-32
    and its cable.

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Sep 16, 2005
  13. Fred McKenzie <> writes:

    > I believe Darrell mentioned such a cable (Duo-Sync) early on. I have one
    > for a Pentax camera. It also provides the TTL and ready-light contacts,
    > but would appear to work for your application as well.
    >
    > The company may still be in business. I see one is listed at B&H:
    > http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/800199094-USE/Duo_Sync_Off_Camera_Flash_Cord_for.html
    > for an Olympus camera. I expect one for any camera with a standard
    > hotshoe would work in manual flash mode.

    I haven't seen one listed for a generic camera (and the salesman at B&H
    clearly did not know about this Duo Sync cable; I did not think to go to
    the "used" department.

    Pierre

    Pierre Jelenc, Sep 16, 2005
  14. (Pierre Jelenc) writes:

    > Roy <> writes:
    > >
    > > The little cable which does plug in-to the Flash gun will have a Pc Plug on
    > > the other end. So if both ends can be plugged together, your flash does
    > > have a Pc socket.

    > No, then. It has 4 pins, and both ends of the cable are male. Oh well.

    When you use it as a generic flash, only the center pin is used (and the side
    connection completes the circuit). The other pins are used for the TTL
    function that the flash provided on the OM camera. Some flashes have a pc-sync
    connector as well as a hot-shoe, in which case you don't need the pc-sync to
    hot-shoe converter.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email: