    is meant as 'bouncing'?

    regards

    Angel

    Angel, Dec 29, 2003

  2. Angel

    CSM1 Guest

    "Angel" <Angel@Utopia_SpamMeNot.Uk.Com> wrote in message
    news:4o2Ib.422$...
    > If I fitted a hotshoe flash to the camera (S602Z) and pointed the flash
    > slightly away (above) the subject, would that reduce redeye? Is this what
    > is meant as 'bouncing'?
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Angel

    Yes. Bouncing is anytime the flash is not pointed directly at the subject.
    Bouncing is off the ceiling or a white card mounted on the flash. It takes
    more power from the flash when bouncing. The light has to travel farther.

    To reduce or eliminate redeye, the flash must not be reflected from the eyes
    to the camera lens. It is easier to have the subject look slightly away from
    the camera lens, such as at the photographers shoulder.

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    CSM1, Dec 29, 2003

  3. Angel

    Onepercentf Guest

    >If I fitted a hotshoe flash to the camera (S602Z) and pointed the flash
    >slightly away (above) the subject, would that reduce redeye? Is this what
    >is meant as 'bouncing'?

    If it has something to bounce off, yes. A white ceiling is best. You will
    never get redeyes if the flash light is bounced. If there is nothing to bounce
    off, but the flash head is far enough away from the lens, you probably won't
    get redeye. A flash bracket will definitely eliminate redeye, but this is less
    convenient as you will need a connecting lead which, if dedicated to your
    camera/flash combination, will be quite expensive. People with blue eyes,
    especially babies, are most prone to the redeye effect. At least with a digital
    camera you can experiment as much as you like without film costs. Good luck!

    Onepercentf, Dec 29, 2003
  4. Angel

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Angel wrote:

    > If I fitted a hotshoe flash to the camera (S602Z) and pointed the flash
    > slightly away (above) the subject, would that reduce redeye? Is this what
    > is meant as 'bouncing'?

    What flash ?

    If the head swivels, up/down or left/right or both, then yes you can do bounce
    flash. And yes, if done right, it completely eliminates red eye..

    Jim Townsend, Dec 29, 2003
  5. To work well you would need to point the flash so little if any direct
    flash would land on the subject. You want almost all of the light to reach
    the subject after it reflected off a wall or ceiling.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Dec 29, 2003
  6. Angel

    Dan Sullivan Guest

    > If I fitted a hotshoe flash to the camera (S602Z) and pointed the flash
    > slightly away (above) the subject, would that reduce redeye? Is this what
    > is meant as 'bouncing'?

    Bouncing is when the flash is aimed at a white ceiling directly above the
    camera or tilted slightly towards the subject.

    If you've been getting redeye with the 602's flash just switching to a shoe
    mt flash should remedy that.

    Bouncing does give you more natural lighting.

    If you don't have a white ceiling and still want to bounce get a Lumiquest
    Pocket Bouncer.

    http://www.lumiquest.com/

    Best, Dan

    Dan Sullivan, Dec 29, 2003
  7. Angel

    tbm Guest

    use the anti red eye feat on the camera and increase your shooting light. the red eye red works real dam good on the fuji...but one
    would expect that from such a classy camera...rgds to all frm TBM...

    ---

    tbm, Dec 29, 2003
  8. "Angel" <Angel@Utopia_SpamMeNot.Uk.Com> wrote in message
    > If I fitted a hotshoe flash to the camera (S602Z) and pointed the flash
    > slightly away (above) the subject, would that reduce redeye? Is this what
    > is meant as 'bouncing'?

    Red eye occurs when the incident angle of flash to retina is 2.5 degrees or
    less -- 5 degrees from flash to retina and back to lens. Increase that angle
    by raising the flash off of that axis and there will be no red eye. A hot
    shot mounted flash may do it at some subject distances, or if the subject is
    far enough away, it may require a flash bracket to get it even farther off
    that axis.

    HMc

    Howard McCollister, Dec 29, 2003
  9. Angel

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Angel wrote:

    > If I fitted a hotshoe flash to the camera (S602Z) and pointed the flash
    > slightly away (above) the subject, would that reduce redeye? Is this what
    > is meant as 'bouncing'?
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Angel

    Yes, and yes.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 30, 2003
  10. Angel

    Bill Guest

    Yes......you're correct on both things. But may I ask if you've ever used
    the built-in flash set to the red-eye reduction setting? It works very well.
    If you haven't tried that yet, then I'd suggest you do try it before
    spending money on an external flash unit.

    Bill

    Bill, Dec 30, 2003
  11. Angel

    tbm Guest

    well said bill...one should increase the avail light move in on the subject, fill up the frame...hence who needs an external
    flash?rgds to all from TBM...

    > If I fitted a hotshoe flash to the camera (S602Z) and pointed the flash
    > slightly away (above) the subject, would that reduce redeye? Is this what
    > is meant as 'bouncing'?
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Angel

    ---

    tbm, Dec 30, 2003
  12. Angel

    Angel Guest

    thanks to all, again, esp. Bill, again!. Getting carried away, not using
    what I already have

    Angel, Dec 30, 2003