hotmail

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by flybywire, Nov 28, 2006.

  1. flybywire

    flybywire Guest

    Couldn't get hotmail to work presumably due to my firewall despite having
    given full access

    MS then tell me to

    A. Optimise your Internet Explorer browser

    1. Launch Internet Explorer
    2. From the "Tools" menu, select "Internet Options"
    3. On the "General" tab,

    a. Click on "Delete Cookies" under "Temporary Internet files" and then click
    on "OK"
    b. Click on "Delete Files"
    c. Put a checkmark on the "Delete all offline content" checkbox, and then
    click on "OK"
    d. Under "History," click "Clear History," and then click "Yes"
    e. Click on "Settings" and select "Automatically" under "Check for newer
    versions of stored pages"
    f. Adjust the amount of disk space to at least half of the maximum limit
    g. Click "OK"

    4. On the "Security" tab,

    a. Click the "Trusted sites" icon
    b. Click "Sites," and then clear the "Require server verification" check box
    c. In the text box, type "*.hotmail.com", and then click "Add"
    d. Repeat the previous step above for "*.passport.com", "*.msn.com", and
    "*.live.com"
    e. Click "OK"

    5. On the "Privacy" tab,

    a. Click "Sites"
    b. Under "Address of Web site," type hotmail.com, and then click "Allow"
    c. Repeat the previous step for "passport.com", "msn.com", and "live.com"
    d. Click "OK"
    6. Click "OK"

    B. Verify that Active Scripting, ActiveX, and Java are not blocked.

    Verify that Internet Explorer or another program on your computer such as an
    anti-virus program or a firewall is not configured to block scripts, ActiveX
    controls, or Java applets. Active Scripting, ActiveX controls, and Java
    applets are turned off at the High security level in Internet Explorer. To
    reset the Internet Explorer security settings for the current Web page,
    follow these steps:

    1. On the "Tools" menu, click "Internet Options"
    2. In the "Internet Options" dialog box, click "Security"
    3. Click "Default Level"
    4. Click "OK"

    Please refer to the documentation for the anti-virus program or firewall
    that you are using to determine how to turn on scripting, ActiveX and Java
    applets.

    C. Install the latest version of the Java Virtual Machine:

    1. To download the latest version of the Java Virtual Machine, visit the
    following Sun Microsystems Web site:

    http://www.java.com

    2. Restart Internet Explorer
    3. On the "Tools" menu, click "Internet Options"
    4. Click the "Advanced" tab
    5. Under "Browsing," clear the "Enable third-party browser extensions
    (requires restart)" check box
    6. Restart Internet Explorer
    7. On the "Tools" menu, click "Internet Options"
    8. Click the "Advanced" tab
    9. Under "Browsing," select the "Disable Script Debugging (Internet
    Explorer)" check box, and then click "OK"

    D. Reregister the files that you must have to run scripts on the page

    1. Click "Start," point to "All Programs," point to "Accessories," and then
    click "Command Prompt"
    2. At the command prompt, "regsvr32 softpub.dll", and then press "ENTER"
    3. Click "OK" when you receive the message that states that the command ran
    successfully
    4. At the command prompt, type "regsvr32 wintrust.dll", and then press ENTER
    5. Click "OK" when you receive the message that states that the command ran
    successfully
    6. At the command prompt, type "regsvr32 initpki.dll", and then press ENTER
    7. Click "OK" when you receive the message that states that the command ran
    successfully
    8. At the command prompt, type "exit," and then press ENTER to close the
    Command Prompt window.

    E. If you are using Windows as the operating system, you may have to upgrade
    the scripting engine.

    If you are using Windows XP or Windows Server 2003, contact Windows
    technical support for instructions on how to update your script engine. To
    contact Windows technical support, visit the following Web site:

    http://support.microsoft.com

    F. Clear the Domain Name System (DNS) cache.

    This is required to clear the cached address information that is used when
    you connect to the Hotmail service:

    1. Click "Start", click "Run", type "cmd", and then click "OK"
    2. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press "Enter"
    on your keyboard:

    ipconfig /flushdns

    This command deletes all the DNS entries that have been cached.

    G. Add "passport.com", "hotmail.com", "live.com", and "msn.com" to the lists
    of safe domains in your firewall, pop-up blocker, and antivirus software. To
    learn how to do this, see the documentation for your firewall, pop-up
    blocker, and antivirus software.

    To learn how to configure Microsoft Windows Firewall in Microsoft Windows XP
    Service Pack 2, visit the following Web site:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;875356

    H. Repair or reinstall your Internet browser.

    For Internet Explorer 6:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318378

    I. If you recently installed any software or made any change to your
    computer before this issue occurred, consider reversing the change that you
    made, at least temporarily, to determine whether that change is the source
    of the problem.

    J. Download Windows Defender Beta 2

    Windows Defender (Beta 2) is a free program that helps protect your computer
    against pop-ups, slow performance, and security threats caused by spyware
    and other unwanted software. For more information, please visit:

    If the issue persists after performing the steps above, please reply to this
    e-mail with the following information:

    - Does this happen even when you use a different computer and Internet
    connection?
    - Does this issue occur with other Hotmail accounts that are being accessed
    on your computer?
    - When did the problem first occur?

    Moving on, the site I have provided below states the information on the
    range of Internet Protocol (IP) addresses MSN Hotmail and Windows Live Mail
    own from which e-mail is or could be sent. Please tell your system
    administrator to make sure that all IP addresses MSN Hotmail and Windows
    Live Mail own are included in the allow list of your work's Internet
    firewall system or Internet filtering system.

    http://postmaster.msn.com/Servers.aspx

    aaaaghhh

    flybywire, Nov 28, 2006

  2. flybywire

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 00:02:47 GMT, "flybywire" <> wrote:

    >Couldn't get hotmail to work presumably due to my firewall despite having
    >given full access

    <SNIP 200 lines>

    How about what happens when you try to go to hotmail, what web browser
    and what operating system, and what firewall?

    Evan Platt, Nov 28, 2006

  3. flybywire

    flybywire Guest

    xp pro
    zonealarmpro
    ie6

    normally get cookies not allowed despite giving full access

    flybywire, Nov 28, 2006
  4. flybywire

    Nomen Nescio Guest

    > Couldn't get hotmail to work presumably due to my
    > firewall despite having given full access

    > MS then tell me to [instructions snipped]

    These instructions were written by a fucking stupid
    fucking ****---scripts, ActiveX, Java--if hotmail made
    me jump that many hoops to login I'd beat her to death
    with a Goblin's teasmaid. You should careful with what
    you allow and disallow, or somebody's going to come
    along with a virus and kick your fucking **** OFF!!

    I look at my hotmail emails using a helper program
    called "POP Peeper." Helper programs offer a little
    more protection while you are lying on your back with
    your legs spread for hotmail.

    Nomen Nescio, Nov 29, 2006
  5. flybywire

    flybywire Guest

    agreed

    thankfully my firewall wont let hotmal fuction

    flybywire, Dec 2, 2006