  1. I use outlook express for my pop3 account and hotmail accounts, rumour has
    it that MSN are going to charge for retrieving hotmail through outlook and
    outlook express next year. Can anyone confirm if this is the case.

    the lift bridge, Oct 19, 2004

  2. the lift bridge

    *****General Guest

    True. For those that have it setup already they won't be charged yet but for
    new subscribers there is a charge. Everyone will be charged eventually.

    *****General, Oct 19, 2004

  3. Apart from greed why do you think they want to charge, is it causing them
    some sort of technical problem hotmail being accessed through outlook and
    outlook express.

    the lift bridge, Oct 19, 2004
  4. the lift bridge

    tcg Guest

    "the lift bridge" <> wrote in message
    | Apart from greed why do you think they want to charge, is it causing them
    | some sort of technical problem hotmail being accessed through outlook and
    | outlook express.
    |
    | "*****General" <*****> wrote in message
    | > True. For those that have it setup already they won't be charged yet but
    | > for
    | > new subscribers there is a charge. Everyone will be charged eventually.

    To control Spam is the reason given. Doesn't make much sense to me. With all
    the free mail options out there it seems kind of like starting to charge IE.

    tcg, Oct 19, 2004
  5. the lift bridge

    Pennywise Guest

    On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 18:06:12 GMT, "*****General"
    <*****> wrote:

    |>True. For those that have it setup already they won't be charged yet but for
    |>new subscribers there is a charge. Everyone will be charged eventually.

    It all depend's upon how you access hotmail.com. I access it with my
    web browser so there will never be a charge.
    http://tinyurl.com/43nz2

    Pennywise, Oct 19, 2004
  6. the lift bridge

    The Tech Guy Guest

    Ya now its hard to check any FREE email service with outlook express
    its seems only the ISP's will let us do this for free :(

    --
    Jason

    Free Spyware Adware Removal - Anti Spyware Remover Software - Free Removal
    http://www.supportcave.com/spy-sweeper.html

    The Tech Guy, Oct 19, 2004
  7. the lift bridge wrote:

    > Apart from greed why do you think they want to charge, is it causing them
    > some sort of technical problem hotmail being accessed through outlook and
    > outlook express.

    I heard they (pretend to) do it to fight spammers. Well, but then they would
    do rather charge for sending mails. The true reason appears to be the fact
    that one can easily circumvent the nasty popups you'll get when using IE to
    view msn/hotmail, by using OE or hotwayd instead.
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.8reiser4pkt [LinuxCounter#295241]

    Walter Mautner, Oct 19, 2004
  8. the lift bridge

    David Qunt Guest

    "The Tech Guy" <> squirted these wordjisms deep
    inside the bumtube of the newstwat in

    > Ya now its hard to check any FREE email service with outlook express
    > its seems only the ISP's will let us do this for free :(
    >
    > --
    > Jason
    >
    > Free Spyware Adware Removal - Anti Spyware Remover Software - Free
    > Removal http://www.supportcave.com/spy-sweeper.html
    >

    > "the lift bridge" <> wrote in message
    > I use outlook express for my pop3 account and hotmail accounts, rumour
    > has it that MSN are going to charge for retrieving hotmail through
    > outlook and outlook express next year. Can anyone confirm if this is
    > the case.

    .........thereby providing yet another reason to dump that pile of wank
    and use Thunderbird instead ;)

    --
    *********************************

    David Qunt, Oct 19, 2004
  9. the lift bridge

    Jamco Guest

    it doesn't matter if you use thunderbird or outlook...
    is ms is going to charge, they are going to charge

    Jamco, Oct 20, 2004
  10. the lift bridge wrote:

    > I use outlook express for my pop3 account and hotmail accounts,
    > rumour has it that MSN are going to charge for retrieving hotmail
    > through outlook and outlook express next year. Can anyone confirm if
    > this is the case.

    True. But don't sweat it, there's heaps of free apps that can get
    your Hotmail for you through Outlook/Outlook Express. Same applies
    for Yahoo Mail too.

    Bruce the Shark, Oct 20, 2004
  11. The Tech Guy wrote:

    > Ya now its hard to check any FREE email service with outlook express

    Perhaps web-based mail, but OE can check any free POP mail with no
    problems. Besides, there are numerous free apps that can get your
    Hotmail/YahooMail/etc for you, directly into Outlook Express, so
    you don't have to pay Hotmail/Yahoo for the privilege.

    Bruce the Shark, Oct 20, 2004
  12. the lift bridge

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Bruce the Shark mused:

    | Perhaps web-based mail, but OE can check any free POP mail with no
    | problems. Besides, there are numerous free apps that can get your
    | Hotmail/YahooMail/etc for you, directly into Outlook Express, so
    | you don't have to pay Hotmail/Yahoo for the privilege.

    I would wager that Hotmail will be locked down from all non-website
    email retrieval regardless of application ... unless the account is of a
    certain (re: paid) status. What are some of these other apps?

    mhicaoidh, Oct 20, 2004
  13. Going slightly off the thread , I have taken a look at Thunderbird and it
    looks more impressive than outlook express, especially impressive is the
    junk mail features , however does anyone know how to get the newsgroups set
    up on it.

    the lift bridge, Oct 21, 2004
  14. the lift bridge

    totsob Guest

    the lift bridge wrote:
    > Going slightly off the thread , I have taken a look at Thunderbird and it
    > looks more impressive than outlook express, especially impressive is the
    > junk mail features , however does anyone know how to get the newsgroups set
    > up on it.
    >
    > "Bruce the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>the lift bridge wrote:
    >>

    >>>I use outlook express for my pop3 account and hotmail accounts,
    >>>rumour has it that MSN are going to charge for retrieving hotmail
    >>>through outlook and outlook express next year. Can anyone confirm if
    >>>this is the case.

    >>True. But don't sweat it, there's heaps of free apps that can get
    >>your Hotmail for you through Outlook/Outlook Express. Same applies
    >>for Yahoo Mail too.

    Go to tools-add account-news then enter your settings.

    totsob, Oct 21, 2004
  15. mhicaoidh wrote:

    > What are some of these other apps?

    Off the top of my head, POP Peeper ( http://www.poppeeper.com/ ) is one.

    Hotmail Popper WAS another, but the author has chickened out and won't
    support basic Hotmail accounts anymore.

    Bruce the Shark, Oct 21, 2004
  16. the lift bridge

    Guest

    Going slightly off the thread , I have taken a look at Thunderbird and
    it looks more impressive than outlook express,
    especially impressive is the junk mail features , however does anyone
    know how to get the newsgroups set up on it.

    Go to tools-add account-news then enter your settings.

    Thanks for the heads-up - the earlier versions of Thunderbird were
    newsgroup-deprived,
    which is why I stuck to full-blown Mozilla. Glad to see that the
    back-room programmers
    have continued to put out useful stuff.

    , Oct 21, 2004
  17. the lift bridge

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, the lift bridge mused:

    | Going slightly off the thread , I have taken a look at Thunderbird and it
    | looks more impressive than outlook express, especially impressive is the
    | junk mail features , however does anyone know how to get the newsgroups
    | set up on it.

    I use Thunderbird for my mail client, and it is quite nice.

    mhicaoidh, Oct 21, 2004
  18. mhicaoidh wrote:

    > I use Thunderbird for my mail client, and it is quite nice

    I'd dearly love to use Thunderbird, but can't, because it doesn't sync
    its contacts with my Pocket PC. Hence, I'm stuck with Outlook. :(

    Bruce the Shark, Oct 21, 2004
  19. the lift bridge

    Fred Guest

    > I'd dearly love to use Thunderbird, but can't, because it doesn't sync
    > its contacts with my Pocket PC. Hence, I'm stuck with Outlook. :(

    Many people are stuck with Outlook.

    Fred, Oct 22, 2004
  20. the lift bridge

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Bruce the Shark mused:

    | I'd dearly love to use Thunderbird, but can't, because it doesn't sync
    | its contacts with my Pocket PC. Hence, I'm stuck with Outlook. :(

    Have you checked for an Extension that would allow it to sync?

    mhicaoidh, Oct 22, 2004