    --
    Kind regards,

    Canterbury Horse Taxis. http://www.horsetaxis.co.nz/
    Chris Wilkinson, May 9, 2004

  2. Chris Wilkinson

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    On Sun, 09 May 2004 12:47:21 +1200, Chris Wilkinson
    <> wrote:

    >Hi there,
    >
    >A flatmate has a 1995 vintage 486 dx2 laptop with 16MB RAM and greyscale
    >screen. It only has a floppy drive and small IDE disk with Win 3.1...
    >
    >She wants to get hotmail on it, but I doubt that any old version of any
    >browser that might be able to run on it will work correctly with hotmail
    >due to lack of CSS, scripting etc...
    >
    >Has anyone tried using such a dinosaur to get recent hotmail? :)

    That brings back memories, not particularly fond ones either. I've a
    copy of IE4 for Win 3.x that might work, about all I can think of
    that's worth trying. It's 8mb and would need to be spanned across
    floppies to get it on the laptop to start with... unless you've a
    fastlynx cable.

    IE4 also comes with quite a good dialler setup that beats the old
    Trumpet Winsock.

    Cheers

    Gavin
    Gavin Tunney, May 9, 2004

  3. Chris Wilkinson

    geoffm Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Hi there,
    >
    >A flatmate has a 1995 vintage 486 dx2 laptop with 16MB RAM and greyscale
    >screen. It only has a floppy drive and small IDE disk with Win 3.1...
    >
    >She wants to get hotmail on it, but I doubt that any old version of any
    >browser that might be able to run on it will work correctly with hotmail
    >due to lack of CSS, scripting etc...
    >
    >Has anyone tried using such a dinosaur to get recent hotmail? :)

    You could try Opera - whe I used to have a W95 DX4/100 laptop, it was
    noticably faster and more reliable than IE.
    Geoff
    geoffm, May 9, 2004
  4. Chris Wilkinson

    Ray Greene Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Hi there,
    >
    >A flatmate has a 1995 vintage 486 dx2 laptop with 16MB RAM and greyscale
    >screen. It only has a floppy drive and small IDE disk with Win 3.1...
    >
    >She wants to get hotmail on it, but I doubt that any old version of any
    >browser that might be able to run on it will work correctly with hotmail
    >due to lack of CSS, scripting etc...
    >
    >Has anyone tried using such a dinosaur to get recent hotmail? :)

    I don't know if it would work on Hotmail, but there is still a 16-bit version
    of Opera available at www.opera.com if you hunt around the downloads page. It
    was a very capable browser for it's time and Opera had CSS support very early
    on. It's shareware though, I don't remember if it stops working altogether
    when the time limit expires but I seem to recall it carries on working but
    pops up reminders or something.

    Is Win95 an option? The first version was small and lightweight though I
    don't know if it supported greyscale monitors. It would give a far wider
    range of browser support.

    If she changed from Hotmail to Yahoo she could use a POP mail client.

    That's all of my ideas :)

    Ray Greene.
    Ray Greene, May 9, 2004
  5. Chris Wilkinson

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Ray Greene <> wrote in news:c7k4ii$fcg$:

    > Yahoo she could use a POP mail client.

    This option costs AFAIK
    I just looked into poping my yahoo and they said I could pay somewhere
    around $19 USD a year to pop my account.

    Googled for Browser Windows 3.1?
    I found this page that looks promising.
    http://pages.prodigy.net/pcfreak/pcfwebzone/16bitweb.htm

    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, May 9, 2004
  6. "Chris Wilkinson" <> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    > A flatmate has a 1995 vintage 486 dx2 laptop with 16MB RAM and greyscale
    > screen. It only has a floppy drive and small IDE disk with Win 3.1...
    > She wants to get hotmail on it, but I doubt that any old version of any
    > browser that might be able to run on it will work correctly with hotmail
    > due to lack of CSS, scripting etc...
    > Has anyone tried using such a dinosaur to get recent hotmail? :)

    Don't know whether you can run OE, but I have accessed my Hotmail from
    within all the OE versions, from about 4 onwards (currently on ver 6) with
    no problems...

    --
    Cheers
    Southern Kiwi
    Southern Kiwi, May 9, 2004
  7. Chris Wilkinson
    > Hi there,
    >
    > A flatmate has a 1995 vintage 486 dx2 laptop with 16MB RAM and greyscale
    > screen. It only has a floppy drive and small IDE disk with Win 3.1...
    >
    > She wants to get hotmail on it, but I doubt that any old version of any
    > browser that might be able to run on it will work correctly with hotmail
    > due to lack of CSS, scripting etc...
    >
    > Has anyone tried using such a dinosaur to get recent hotmail? :)

    As far as I know the most recent browser for 3.1 you can get is IE 3.02.
    One can only try.
    Patrick Dunford, May 9, 2004
  8. Chris Wilkinson

    steve Guest

    Gavin Tunney wrote:

    > On Sun, 09 May 2004 12:47:21 +1200, Chris Wilkinson
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Hi there,
    >>
    >>A flatmate has a 1995 vintage 486 dx2 laptop with 16MB RAM and greyscale
    >>screen. It only has a floppy drive and small IDE disk with Win 3.1...
    >>
    >>She wants to get hotmail on it, but I doubt that any old version of any
    >>browser that might be able to run on it will work correctly with hotmail
    >>due to lack of CSS, scripting etc...
    >>
    >>Has anyone tried using such a dinosaur to get recent hotmail? :)

    > That brings back memories, not particularly fond ones either. I've a
    > copy of IE4 for Win 3.x that might work, about all I can think of
    > that's worth trying. It's 8mb and would need to be spanned across
    > floppies to get it on the laptop to start with... unless you've a
    > fastlynx cable.
    >
    > IE4 also comes with quite a good dialler setup that beats the old
    > Trumpet Winsock.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Gavin

    It will run Windows 95.

    Then use VNC to actually access apps on ANOTHER over a network (if there
    is one).
    steve, May 9, 2004
  9. Chris Wilkinson

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > Chris Wilkinson
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> A flatmate has a 1995 vintage 486 dx2 laptop with 16MB RAM and
    >> greyscale screen. It only has a floppy drive and small IDE disk with
    >> Win 3.1...
    >>
    >> She wants to get hotmail on it, but I doubt that any old version of
    >> any browser that might be able to run on it will work correctly with
    >> hotmail due to lack of CSS, scripting etc...
    >>
    >> Has anyone tried using such a dinosaur to get recent hotmail? :)

    > As far as I know the most recent browser for 3.1 you can get is IE
    > 3.02. One can only try.

    You can get IE 5 for 3.1.
    Nik Coughin, May 9, 2004
  10. Chris Wilkinson

    Petrushka Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:

    > Ray Greene <> wrote in news:c7k4ii$fcg$:
    >
    >>Yahoo she could use a POP mail client.

    > This option costs AFAIK
    > I just looked into poping my yahoo and they said I could pay somewhere
    > around $19 USD a year to pop my account.

    That's yahoo.com only - other yahoos (e.g. yahoo.co.nz, yahoo.co.uk) are
    free. I've been getting my e-mail (not at the address in my sig,
    obviously) free of charge via pop.mail.yahoo.com.au for years

    > Googled for Browser Windows 3.1?
    > I found this page that looks promising.
    > http://pages.prodigy.net/pcfreak/pcfwebzone/16bitweb.htm

    Apparently Netscape 4.08 can get to Hotmail (not from personal
    experience) - http://www.computing.net/windows31/wwwboard/forum/10324.html

    --
    Petrushka | de_meun at yah0o dot com
    Petrushka, May 10, 2004
  11. Chris Wilkinson

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Petrushka wrote:
    > Dave Taylor wrote:
    >
    >> Ray Greene <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Yahoo she could use a POP mail client.

    >> This option costs AFAIK
    >> I just looked into poping my yahoo and they said I could pay
    >> somewhere around $19 USD a year to pop my account.

    > That's yahoo.com only - other yahoos (e.g. yahoo.co.nz, yahoo.co.uk)
    > are free. I've been getting my e-mail (not at the address in my sig,
    > obviously) free of charge via pop.mail.yahoo.com.au for years

    Same here. However Xtra won't let me connect to their smtp server to send
    mail.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, May 14, 2004
  12. In article <409e03d8$>, derbird
    says...
    > Gavin Tunney wrote:
    >
    > > On Sun, 09 May 2004 12:47:21 +1200, Chris Wilkinson
    > > <> wrote:
    > >

    > >>Hi there,
    > >>
    > >>A flatmate has a 1995 vintage 486 dx2 laptop with 16MB RAM and greyscale
    > >>screen. It only has a floppy drive and small IDE disk with Win 3.1...
    > >>
    > >>She wants to get hotmail on it, but I doubt that any old version of any
    > >>browser that might be able to run on it will work correctly with hotmail
    > >>due to lack of CSS, scripting etc...
    > >>
    > >>Has anyone tried using such a dinosaur to get recent hotmail? :)

    > > That brings back memories, not particularly fond ones either. I've a
    > > copy of IE4 for Win 3.x that might work, about all I can think of
    > > that's worth trying. It's 8mb and would need to be spanned across
    > > floppies to get it on the laptop to start with... unless you've a
    > > fastlynx cable.
    > >
    > > IE4 also comes with quite a good dialler setup that beats the old
    > > Trumpet Winsock.
    > >
    > > Cheers
    > >
    > > Gavin

    > It will run Windows 95.

    It *may* run 95. Don't install it unless you can revert back to 3.1 for
    sure i.e. you have full copies of all the Windows 3.1 floppies.

    These days we don't hear so much about Windows 95 upgrade problems from
    3.1, but it was real enough back then.
    Patrick Dunford, May 16, 2004
  13. In article <c7k4ii$fcg$>, says...
    > On Sun, 09 May 2004 12:47:21 +1200, Chris Wilkinson
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi there,
    > >
    > >A flatmate has a 1995 vintage 486 dx2 laptop with 16MB RAM and greyscale
    > >screen. It only has a floppy drive and small IDE disk with Win 3.1...
    > >
    > >She wants to get hotmail on it, but I doubt that any old version of any
    > >browser that might be able to run on it will work correctly with hotmail
    > >due to lack of CSS, scripting etc...
    > >
    > >Has anyone tried using such a dinosaur to get recent hotmail? :)

    > I don't know if it would work on Hotmail, but there is still a 16-bit version
    > of Opera available at www.opera.com if you hunt around the downloads page. It
    > was a very capable browser for it's time and Opera had CSS support very early
    > on. It's shareware though, I don't remember if it stops working altogether
    > when the time limit expires but I seem to recall it carries on working but
    > pops up reminders or something.
    >
    > Is Win95 an option? The first version was small and lightweight though I
    > don't know if it supported greyscale monitors. It would give a far wider
    > range of browser support.

    If the old hardware supports it, you may be able to buy a copy second
    hand. I don't know about display support though. For greyscale you might
    be looking at a hercules type adapter. You need to find out what is
    supported in the hardware of 95.
    Patrick Dunford, May 16, 2004
  14. In article <sO%oc.5068$>,
    says...
    > Petrushka wrote:
    > > Dave Taylor wrote:
    > >
    > >> Ray Greene <> wrote in

    > >> This option costs AFAIK
    > >> I just looked into poping my yahoo and they said I could pay
    > >> somewhere around $19 USD a year to pop my account.

    > > That's yahoo.com only - other yahoos (e.g. yahoo.co.nz, yahoo.co.uk)
    > > are free. I've been getting my e-mail (not at the address in my sig,
    > > obviously) free of charge via pop.mail.yahoo.com.au for years

    > Same here. However Xtra won't let me connect to their smtp server to send
    > mail.

    Whose server? Yahoo or Xtra? If you're on an Xtra dialup you should have
    no problems accessing Xtra's SMTP server to send mail?
    Patrick Dunford, May 16, 2004