    why I cant get past the e-mail address part of the form.

    Any help appreciated,

    Steve.
    Stevie D, Aug 21, 2003

  2. Stevie D

    Liz Guest

    "Stevie D" wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm trying to set-up a hotmail account for the first time and I can't get
    > passed the e-mail address.
    >
    > When I'm asked to type an e-mail address in is the form asking me (a) for
    > the e-mail address I want to use with this account, or (b) an already
    > existing e-mail address?

    Your Hotmail address.

    How to Configure Outlook Express to Use a Hotmail Account
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;220852

    Liz, Aug 21, 2003

  3. Stevie D

    Stevie D Guest

    Thanks for the help Liz but I'm not trying to set-up a hot mail account to
    link to MS Outlook. Rather I'm trying to setup an account from scratch.

    The pupose behind this is that I have to teach a group of over 60's who do
    not own computer - and indeed many of whom have never used one before - how
    they can send and retreive e-mail by using any computer with WWW access -
    i.e. from an internet cafe or more likely a public library.

    Steve.

    Stevie D, Aug 21, 2003
  4. "Stevie D" <Steve@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm trying to set-up a hotmail account for the first time and I can't get
    > passed the e-mail address.
    >
    > When I'm asked to type an e-mail address in is the form asking me (a) for
    > the e-mail address I want to use with this account, or (b) an already
    > existing e-mail address?
    >
    > If the correct answer is (b) how can you create a hotmail e-mail address

    if
    > you don't already have an existing e-mail address?
    >
    > I am aware that this may seem to be a stupid question but I can't work out
    > why I cant get past the e-mail address part of the form.
    >
    > Any help appreciated,
    >
    > Steve.

    Steve.

    I assume that you mean you are actually trying to open a new hotmail
    account. If this is the case then the form is asking you for the hotmail
    address that you WANT to have. So the answer is a).

    Once you have the Hotmail account that you want, then you would go on to
    Liz's suggestions. ;-)

    If I'm wrong about what you were tryign to do, let me know.
    Sentient Fluid, Aug 21, 2003
  5. Stevie D

    Ionizer Guest

    It has been a while since I set up a hotmail address, but the last time I
    did it six months ago, I recall having a bit of a runaround trying to figure
    out why my "new" address wasn't being accepted and why I kept finding myself
    going in a loop back to the first page of the process. I can't recall
    exactly how I broke out of the loop, but the problem did involve the fact
    that my first choice for an address was already in use. Perhaps try a more
    obscure name than your original choice for an address, or accept one of the
    default suggestions if your original choice is in use. Or try Yahoo and see
    if their mail account registration process is easier.

    Regards,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Aug 21, 2003
  6. Stevie D

    Liz Guest

    I have answered your question, Steve.

    When you sign up for the first time, you need to create
    a user name or whatever they call it these days.
    for example: Steve101

    So, when you are asked to type an e-mail address,
    just enter *your hotmail address*

    Liz, Aug 21, 2003
  7. Stevie D

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 18:20:07 GMT, Liz wrote:

    >I have answered your question, Steve.
    >
    >When you sign up for the first time, you need to create
    >a user name or whatever they call it these days.
    >for example: Steve101
    >
    >So, when you are asked to type an e-mail address,
    >just enter *your hotmail address*

    <snipped email addy>

    Pretty non funny if a real user has the snipped address, they may start
    getting a lot of spam.

    >"Stevie D" <Steve@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    >> Thanks for the help Liz but I'm not trying to set-up a hot mail account to
    >> link to MS Outlook. Rather I'm trying to setup an account from scratch.

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Aug 21, 2003
  8. Stevie D

    Stevie D Guest

    Thank you everyone for all your suggestions.

    I finally did manage to setup an address - I think the problems I was having
    were due to the address having alredy been taken as lonizer suggests.

    If anyone from the hotmail administartion team should happen to resd this
    thread - might I suggest that a message saying that the selected address is
    already in use would be very helpful.

    Steve

    Stevie D, Aug 21, 2003
  9. Stevie D

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 18:44:24 +0100, "Stevie D" <Steve@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    >Thanks for the help Liz but I'm not trying to set-up a hot mail account to
    >link to MS Outlook. Rather I'm trying to setup an account from scratch.
    >
    >The pupose behind this is that I have to teach a group of over 60's who do
    >not own computer - and indeed many of whom have never used one before - how
    >they can send and retreive e-mail by using any computer with WWW access -
    >i.e. from an internet cafe or more likely a public library.

    You need to pick a name that is not already in use.

    >Steve.
    >

    >"Liz" <> wrote in message
    >> "Stevie D" wrote:
    >> > Hello,
    >> >
    >> > I'm trying to set-up a hotmail account for the first time and I can't

    >get
    >> > passed the e-mail address.
    >> >
    >> > When I'm asked to type an e-mail address in is the form asking me (a)

    >for
    >> > the e-mail address I want to use with this account, or (b) an already
    >> > existing e-mail address?

    >> Your Hotmail address.
    >>
    >> How to Configure Outlook Express to Use a Hotmail Account
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;220852
    >>

    >> > If the correct answer is (b) how can you create a hotmail e-mail address

    >if
    >> > you don't already have an existing e-mail address?
    >> >
    >> > I am aware that this may seem to be a stupid question but I can't work

    >out
    >> > why I cant get past the e-mail address part of the form.
    >> >
    >> > Any help appreciated,
    >> >
    >> > Steve.

    -Barry
    ========