    p4o2 Guest

    I sent an email with a bad address in the "to" and a valid one in the
    "cc". The email bounced but I was wondering if the "cc" went OK?
    p4o2, Nov 19, 2010

  2. p4o2

    Mike Easter Guest

    p4o2 wrote:
    > I sent an email with a bad address in the "to" and a valid one in the
    > "cc". The email bounced but I was wondering if the "cc" went OK?

    No, not likely. But the problem is that terms like 'bounced' are
    ambiguous and result in having to explain the term with additional
    helper terms like 'hard bounce' and 'soft bounce'.

    Typically the process involving what some refer to as the smtp envelope
    is that the sending agent, which in the case of webmail is an integrated
    client/server creates an envelope with a MAIL FROM and RCPT TO and in
    the example you have asked, the RCPT TO has both of the addresses - not
    two individual mails. In fact, the distinction between the To and the CC
    is somewhere else, in the DATA section.

    A common transactional result of one address in the RCPT TO being bad is
    that the mail gets a hard bounce -- which hard bounce is that the
    transaction is rejected 'forthwith' and nobody gets the mail.

    But sometimes it doesn't happen that way and whatever is the problem
    with the address is not discovered until way down the line. The original
    transaction was accepted, the server passed the mail down the line to
    other servers in which case two servers individually accepted the mail
    each for one mailbox.

    Then one of the servers discovered that there was something wrong with
    the mailbox that it accepted the mail for.

    Some servers will 'turn around' and address a newmail to the From sender
    with a delivery status notification failed -- the so-called soft bounce
    which can cause trouble because the From might have been bogus like spam
    for all the server knows.

    In that case, one of the recipients would have gotten the mail and the
    other not. But the first scenario is far more likely.

    Unfortunately you did not provide us with the structure of the process
    by which you learned that there was a problem with the address.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Nov 19, 2010

  3. p4o2

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 15:01:09 -0800 (PST), p4o2 wrote:

    > I sent an email with a bad address in the "to" and a valid one in the
    > "cc". The email bounced but I was wondering if the "cc" went OK?

    to find out the easy way, do the same thing again but this time the "cc" is
    one you use. So you'll get the email if it goes through.

    I haven't used hotmail in years because their system is junk anyway.
    But in most cases, the "cc" mail should go through regardless of the
    original being bounced.
    richard, Nov 20, 2010
  4. p4o2

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 19/11/2010 23:01, p4o2 wrote:
    > I sent an email with a bad address in the "to" and a valid one in the
    > "cc". The email bounced but I was wondering if the "cc" went OK?

    Warning complex solution alert:

    Ask the recipient of the CC:
    Desk Rabbit, Nov 21, 2010