    Can you help?

    Cheers

    David
    David Johnston, Mar 10, 2006

  2. David Johnston

    Mike Easter Guest

    David Johnston wrote:
    > Since Hotmail created another level of security whereby you need to
    > key 8 digits from a picture

    That type of security is referred to as 'captcha' - an acronym for
    'completely automated public Turing test to tell computers and humans
    apart'

    > I have been unable to log on to my
    > Hotmail account as the characters I key are allegedly wrong when they
    > are not.
    >
    > Can you help?

    I'm not a hotmail subscriber, but according to what I'm seeing at the
    login, you can choose between enhanced and standard security by clicking
    the 'Sign in using standard security' gizmo.
    http://login.passport.net/ -or- maybe that just chooses between http &
    https

    I don't see why you would need to use captcha for something that
    requires a user/pw login combination.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Mar 10, 2006

  3. David Johnston

    Vanguard Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > David Johnston wrote:
    >> Since Hotmail created another level of security whereby you need to
    >> key 8 digits from a picture

    > That type of security is referred to as 'captcha' - an acronym for
    > 'completely automated public Turing test to tell computers and humans
    > apart'
    >
    >> I have been unable to log on to my
    >> Hotmail account as the characters I key are allegedly wrong when they
    >> are not.
    >>
    >> Can you help?

    > I'm not a hotmail subscriber, but according to what I'm seeing at the
    > login, you can choose between enhanced and standard security by clicking
    > the 'Sign in using standard security' gizmo.
    > http://login.passport.net/ -or- maybe that just chooses between http &
    > https
    >
    > I don't see why you would need to use captcha for something that
    > requires a user/pw login combination.

    Since Hotmail uses WebDAV scripting, spammers could write up their own
    scripts to log into accounts. They would create lots of new accounts they
    would use later knowing that the old ones might get killed by spam reports.
    The intervening security page (i.e., captcha) would kill off those scripts.
    It wasn't to keep hackers out of the accounts but instead to keep out
    spammers from using accounts that they already created. However, the
    intervening security page shows up so rarely that it is an ineffective
    defense against spammers. If a login to one account happens to popup the
    security page which pends the login, the spammer just goes onto the next
    account in his army of pending accounts.

    Is captcha used now on every login? I thought it showed up once in a blue
    moon. When it does, I have to use the webmail interface to login, get past
    the rarely occurring security page, and then the login worked until some
    random time later when it happened again. I've also seen it for Yahoo Mail.
    Because of the intervening screen with a graphic from which a human can read
    the string but a script or program cannot, I've had to a couple time use the
    webmail interface to login to get past the security page for Hotmail and
    Yahoo mail. Neither WebDAV or YahooPOPs would be able to read the graphical
    string to complete the login.

    I've only been nailed once by the intervening security page on Hotmail and
    twice for Yahoo Mail, so it has rarely occurred for me. I think this scheme
    started a little over a year ago.
    Vanguard, Mar 10, 2006
  4. David Johnston

    Plato Guest

    David Johnston wrote:

    > Since Hotmail created another level of security whereby you need to key 8
    > digits from a picture I have been unable to log on to my Hotmail account as
    > the characters I key are allegedly wrong when they are not.
    > Can you help?

    Ask for a refund if you are NOT satisfied.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Mar 11, 2006