    Any suggestions?
    --
    Grampy Pete
    Grampy Pete, Jul 21, 2008

  2. Grampy Pete

    Lem Guest

    Grampy Pete wrote:
    > Is it true that M$ sent a hotfix as an update which disturbed wireless
    > connectivity. My Netgear router and adapter were working fine until I
    > installed sp3 then connectivity became a problem. Q815485 - there is a lot of
    > confusion there when you Google this topic. I don't want to uninstall sp3 and
    > I don't see the particular Q815485 in addremove -must be in the sp3.
    > Any suggestions?

    815485 is a rather old update and was included in Service Pack *2*. It
    enabled WPA encryption. Unless you went directly from SP1 to SP3, this
    fix was already on your machine prior to installing SP3.

    What exactly is your problem? Have you been using WPA or WPA2
    encryption for your wireless network?

    815485 "Overview of the Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) security update in
    Windows XP" http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=815485

    826942 "Wireless update rollup package for Windows XP is available"
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826942/

    893357 "The Wi-Fi Protected Access 2 (WPA2)/Wireless Provisioning
    Services Information Element (WPS IE) update for Windows XP with Service
    Pack 2 is available" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357/en-us

    "List of fixes included in Windows XP Service Pack 2"
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811113/ [includes 815485]

    "List of fixes that are included in Windows XP Service Pack 3"
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946480/en-us [includes 893357, plus all
    fixes that were included in SP2]

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Jul 21, 2008

  3. Grampy Pete

    John Guest

    What makes you think Q815485 is the culprit?

    John, Jul 21, 2008