    fine when it loads but when it loads it cuts off and goes bk to my desktop
    and i got told there was this thing called "hotfix" that might help the
    problem

    PWB, Sep 22, 2004

  2. PWB

    Brian Guest

    "PWB" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:_6i4d.414$...
    > Can someone please help me I had an email from my friends daughter who
    > wanted to know what a hotfix was , i cudn't tell her can anyone plz help.
    > here is part of the text of the email.
    > ok ill explain i have a Sims game right and iv installed it and it works
    > fine when it loads but when it loads it cuts off and goes bk to my

    desktop
    > and i got told there was this thing called "hotfix" that might help the
    > problem

    a hot fix is basically a patch (a litlle bit of code to get rid of bugs
    (programme itself, hardware or OS issues)) which gets installed over the
    existing code without having to reinstall an updated version of the prog.
    but as to where he needs to get it from ????? dunno.. maybe he should ask
    the person who told him he needs the hotfix where to get it from.

    Brian, Sep 22, 2004

  3. PWB wrote:

    > Can someone please help me I had an email from my friends daughter who
    > wanted to know what a hotfix was , i cudn't tell her can anyone plz help.
    > here is part of the text of the email.
    > ok ill explain i have a Sims game right and iv installed it and it works
    > fine when it loads but when it loads it cuts off and goes bk to my
    > desktop and i got told there was this thing called "hotfix" that might
    > help the problem

    In general speaking, a hotfix is a fix / patch to correct some error
    introduced by something made "with hot needles" just to get it out quickly
    to satisfy the (software companies) salesdruides. No time to test and fix
    errors inhouse or with a dedicated crew of beta testers, business
    reve^H^Hturn goes first.
    Another common term is "bananaware" (=matures at customer sites).
    Security "hotfixes" are a thing everyone is awaiting on "patch days" when
    Microsoft releases a bunch of them, for their most secure *cough* operating
    systems.
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.8reiser4pkt [LinuxCounter#295241]

    Walter Mautner, Sep 22, 2004
  4. PWB

    Doug Guest

    Taken online from actual definition:

    "A hotfix is code (sometimes called a patch) that fixes a bug in a product.
    Users of the products may be notified by e-mail or obtain information about
    current hotfixes at a software vendor's Web site and download the hotfixes
    they wish to apply. Hotfixes are sometimes packaged as a set of fixes called
    a combined hotfix or a service pack."

    Resource:
    http://searchwin2000.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid1_gci755632,00.html

    // Doug