    connection will be fairly secure...for, say, banking websites.

    Thanks!
    Scott
    Scott, Aug 19, 2006

  2. Scott

    Malke Guest

    Scott wrote:

    > I will be staying at a hotel that provides complimentary wireless and
    > wired high speed internet. Using their high-speed wireless (even though
    > I remove the sharing of my laptop's hard drive) would I be foolish to
    > go to websites that require a password? I'm thinking that a wired
    > connection will be fairly secure...for, say, banking websites.

    Yes to "would it be foolish using wireless", but I wouldn't assume that
    wired is any better. After all, anyone administering the network can
    capture traffic if they want to. It is better security practice to not go
    to online banking sites, etc. when you are away from home. As for the
    websites that require a password, I don't think anyone in the hotel's IT
    dept. will be interested in your MySpace profile, but PayPal might be
    another matter.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers
    Malke, Aug 19, 2006

  3. Here are some threads from the BBR forums concerning this subject that may
    be of interest...

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    Sooner Al [MVP], Aug 19, 2006
  4. Scott

    Pegleg Guest

    On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 05:32:48 -0700, Malke <> wrote:

    > It is better security practice to not go
    >to online banking sites, etc. when you are away from home.
    >Malke

    One of the primary purposes of on-line banking is to be able to manage
    accounts while traveling. I have done it for years via cell phone and
    wireless without any issues.

    Pegleg
    U.S. Navy Retired
    Support Our Troops,
    Question The Policy!

    All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words:
    freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
    Sir Winston Churchill
    Pegleg, Aug 19, 2006
  5. Scott

    Scott Guest

    "Tom H. Lautenbacher" wrote:

    > Hello Scott,
    >
    > >I will be staying at a hotel that provides complimentary wireless and
    > > wired high speed internet. Using their high-speed wireless (even though
    > > I remove the sharing of my laptop's hard drive) would I be foolish to
    > > go to websites that require a password? I'm thinking that a wired
    > > connection will be fairly secure...for, say, banking websites.

    > ok, here are my 5 cents:
    >
    > - In General, every network traffic can be captured by a stranger. When you
    > are connected via a cable, the administrator in the company "at the end of
    > that cable", or the telephone-company-guy at the end of your phone-line,
    > etc. can use software to analyze your traffic. For this there have been
    > invented some protocols, which allow secure transfer of information, e.g.
    > SSL (you will recognize SSL-using homepages from the "https://" instead of
    > "http://"... If SSL is used, then it is not possible for the guy, who
    > analyzes your traffic, to unscramble your data (e.g. your passowords that
    > you transfered to your bank).
    >
    > - When using WLAN, everything is the same. The only difference is, that it
    > is now not only that administrator and that telephone-company employee, that
    > can try to analyze your traffic, but it is everybody in that WLAN-area, e.g.
    > all the hotel-room-neighbors of you.. So the chance, that indeed someone
    > trys to read your traffic (maybe even just for fun, because he saw some
    > others in the WLAN and has nothing better to do!), is much, much higher!!
    >
    > - As long, as you use SSL-connections, everything should be safe.. But all
    > the other traffic, e.g. your unsecured emails, passwords, that you enter at
    > non-ssl-secured-homepages, etc. should be very easy readable by everywhone,
    > that has at least a little knowledge of WLAN hacking...
    >
    > So my advice: use only SSL-connections for crytical transmissions. for the
    > rest: just transfer only uncritical stuff (e.g. the holiday greetings to
    > grandma), but not necessarily sensitive data, as long as you aren't 100%
    > sure, if the transmission protocol uses encryption, or not! Ah, and not to
    > forget: delete all network-shares, if you have any on your laptop, otherwise
    > others might just be able to download all your stuff right away from your
    > laptop :)
    >
    > many greetings from Greece / Europe,
    > Tom

    Thanks, Tom, for your detailed answer. I will follow your advice.

    Scott
    Scott, Aug 19, 2006
  6. Hello Scott,

    Tom H. Lautenbacher, Aug 19, 2006