Hotel Wi Fi

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Alexander Rogge, Sep 3, 2005.

  1. > My question is do hotels have the ability to block rooms or floors from
    > receiving wi fi, also how does wi fi work in hotels.

    It depends on the signal range of the wireless system and if the network
    requires a user authentication.
    Alexander Rogge, Sep 3, 2005

  2. Alexander Rogge

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Alexander Rogge wrote:
    >> My question is do hotels have the ability to block rooms or floors
    >> from receiving wi fi, also how does wi fi work in hotels.

    > It depends on the signal range of the wireless system and if the
    > network requires a user authentication.

    Exactly - I've found it be somewhat hit and miss...

    Toolman Tim, Sep 3, 2005

  3. Alexander Rogge

    Wayne Kerr Guest

    We stayed in a hotel in New York which gave free wi fi.
    ,My daughter stayed on at the same hotel as they have a students housing
    department as part of several floors.
    She has to go to a separate computer room to access the wi fi, yes go to a
    room to access the wi fi.

    Wayne Kerr, Sep 3, 2005
  4. Alexander Rogge

    Wayne Kerr Guest

    It does require a user registration which we were able to access whilst
    staying at the hotel but my daughter is now unable to access the system as
    she is part of the student housing in the hotel

    Wayne Kerr, Sep 3, 2005
  5. > It does require a user registration which we were able to access whilst
    > staying at the hotel but my daughter is now unable to access the system as
    > she is part of the student housing in the hotel

    Can she not see the signal or is it an authentication issue?
    Alexander Rogge, Sep 3, 2005
  6. Alexander Rogge

    Wayne Kerr Guest

    I will ask her as she is in America I am back in the UK

    She said recently that she cannot access the authentication page.

    Wayne Kerr, Sep 4, 2005
  7. Alexander Rogge

    Guest Guest

    get a program like net stumbler and you will be able to 'map' the signal
    areas and strengths

    Guest, Sep 4, 2005
  8. Alexander Rogge

    Mike Guest

    Too many variables to answer here. Check with hotel staff.

    Mike

    Mike, Sep 6, 2005