    Twice on rebooting my laptop I got a Windows XP warning that the
    Windows firewall had been turned off.

    Is this possible by malicious access on a LAN?

    Richard Wright, Oct 30, 2006

  2. Richard Wright

    Ingeborg Guest

    Richard Wright wrote:

    > I was using a hotel LAN connection with my laptop over four days.
    > Twice on rebooting my laptop I got a Windows XP warning that the
    > Windows firewall had been turned off.
    >
    > Is this possible by malicious access on a LAN?

    If so, your firewall didn't do it's job anyway. The firewall is supposed to
    protect you against intrusions, so an intrudor should never be able to
    switch off the firewall.

    Ingeborg, Oct 30, 2006

  3. Richard Wright

    ellis_jay Guest

    Richard Wright wrote:
    > I was using a hotel LAN connection with my laptop over four days.
    > Twice on rebooting my laptop I got a Windows XP warning that the
    > Windows firewall had been turned off.
    >
    > Is this possible by malicious access on a LAN?

    f the windows firewall

    ___Sador the carpenter to Turin
    Tolkien, The Unfinished Tales

    Ellis_Jay

    ellis_jay, Oct 30, 2006
  4. Richard Wright

    Scoresby Guest

    ellis_jay wrote:
    > Richard Wright wrote:
    > > I was using a hotel LAN connection with my laptop over four days.
    > > Twice on rebooting my laptop I got a Windows XP warning that the
    > > Windows firewall had been turned off.
    > >
    > > Is this possible by malicious access on a LAN?

    > f the windows firewall

    By that did you mean "download a quality firewall to replace the
    unreliable Windows firewall, such as Zonealarm, which you can get for
    free from www.zonelabs.com"?

    Scoresby, Oct 30, 2006
  5. Richard Wright <> loquaciously articulated
    in news::

    > I was using a hotel LAN connection with my laptop over four days.
    > Twice on rebooting my laptop I got a Windows XP warning that the
    > Windows firewall had been turned off.
    >
    > Is this possible by malicious access on a LAN?

    LAN? Hard wire or wireless? Depends on what your settings are. The
    hotel's router still has to assign you a DHCP address, and you don't
    have any way of accessing their router to find out who's connected -
    unless you could try to launch your browser, Enter http://192.168.1.1
    and use "admin" [no quotation marks] as the password... LOL. You'd be
    surprised. If so, goto ~ Status > Local Network > DHCP Clients Table
    for a list of who's on [recently]. Likely, this won't be an option.

    You could have spyware, malware, malicious script, virus, Trojan, or
    something else that's turning [any firewall] off from your machine.

    Right-click on My Computer, and on the Remote tab, make sure both
    those options are de-selected. An interesting view might be to click
    on the "what is remote assistance" link which will bring up the M$
    Help dialog and notice the 3rd bullet down.... Hmmm... With Remote
    Desktop, you really need to grant permissions, but some oober might
    be able to hack around that if other access is available.

    Presuming all that is in order, another quick check would be to
    double-click on My Computer and make sure no drives are set to share,
    and on a remote laptop you may well want to visit the Folder Options
    dialog, either via Control Panel or IE Properties, or IE menu bar, >
    View tab > Advanced settings > and make sure "Automatically search
    for network folders and printers" at the top, and "Use simple file
    sharing (Recommended)" at the bottom are *de-selected* [don't forget
    to re-select these appropriate settings when you get to your home or
    "Trusted" network] > Apply and OK out of there, relaunch and double-
    check, Goto Windows Firewall > set to On, then goto "Advanced" tab
    and Enable Local Area Connection - basically reset the defaults -
    reboot if you change any settings, check your firewall is still on
    and other settings remain intact, and *then* connect to the LAN.

    Without file sharing or a shared drive, it'd be really be out there
    in statistics-land that someone there at the same time, etc., would
    be able to hack into your 'puter. Desk clerk could be a geek, I
    suppose.

    All this speaks to why you should do routine maintenance and use a
    third-party firewall on each machine. There are even a few good free
    ones out there right now: Ashampoo has one, which is OK for free.

    Could just be one of those Windows "thangs." Good luck.

    --
    The people in the village were real poor, so none of the children
    had any toys. But this one little boy had gotten an old enema bag

    Later the little boy came up and offered to give me his toy. This
    was too much! I reached out my hand, but then he ran away.

    I chased him down and took the enema bag away from him, saying,
    "It's *mine* now! You *gave* it to me!"

    He cried a little - but that's the way of these people.

    Bucky Breeder, Oct 30, 2006
  6. Richard Wright

    ellis_jay Guest

    Scoresby wrote:
    > ellis_jay wrote:
    >> Richard Wright wrote:
    >>> I was using a hotel LAN connection with my laptop over four days.
    >>> Twice on rebooting my laptop I got a Windows XP warning that the
    >>> Windows firewall had been turned off.
    >>>
    >>> Is this possible by malicious access on a LAN?

    >> f the windows firewall
    >>

    > By that did you mean "download a quality firewall to replace the
    > unreliable Windows firewall, such as Zonealarm, which you can get for
    > free from www.zonelabs.com"?

    As a matter of fact that was exactly my thought at the time!

    *git*out*of*me*haid*

    ellis_jay, Oct 30, 2006
  7. On 30 Oct 2006 22:09:39 GMT, Bucky Breeder
    <> wrote:

    >Richard Wright <> loquaciously articulated
    >in news::
    >
    >> I was using a hotel LAN connection with my laptop over four days.
    >> Twice on rebooting my laptop I got a Windows XP warning that the
    >> Windows firewall had been turned off.
    >>
    >> Is this possible by malicious access on a LAN?

    >LAN? Hard wire or wireless? Depends on what your settings are. The
    >hotel's router still has to assign you a DHCP address, and you don't
    >have any way of accessing their router to find out who's connected -
    >unless you could try to launch your browser, Enter http://192.168.1.1
    >and use "admin" [no quotation marks] as the password... LOL. You'd be
    >surprised. If so, goto ~ Status > Local Network > DHCP Clients Table
    >for a list of who's on [recently]. Likely, this won't be an option.
    >
    >You could have spyware, malware, malicious script, virus, Trojan, or
    >something else that's turning [any firewall] off from your machine.
    >
    >Right-click on My Computer, and on the Remote tab, make sure both
    >those options are de-selected. An interesting view might be to click
    >on the "what is remote assistance" link which will bring up the M$
    >Help dialog and notice the 3rd bullet down.... Hmmm... With Remote
    >Desktop, you really need to grant permissions, but some oober might
    >be able to hack around that if other access is available.
    >
    >Presuming all that is in order, another quick check would be to
    >double-click on My Computer and make sure no drives are set to share,
    >and on a remote laptop you may well want to visit the Folder Options
    >dialog, either via Control Panel or IE Properties, or IE menu bar, >
    >View tab > Advanced settings > and make sure "Automatically search
    >for network folders and printers" at the top, and "Use simple file
    >sharing (Recommended)" at the bottom are *de-selected* [don't forget
    >to re-select these appropriate settings when you get to your home or
    >"Trusted" network] > Apply and OK out of there, relaunch and double-
    >check, Goto Windows Firewall > set to On, then goto "Advanced" tab
    >and Enable Local Area Connection - basically reset the defaults -
    >reboot if you change any settings, check your firewall is still on
    >and other settings remain intact, and *then* connect to the LAN.
    >
    >Without file sharing or a shared drive, it'd be really be out there
    >in statistics-land that someone there at the same time, etc., would
    >be able to hack into your 'puter. Desk clerk could be a geek, I
    >suppose.
    >
    >All this speaks to why you should do routine maintenance and use a
    >third-party firewall on each machine. There are even a few good free
    >ones out there right now: Ashampoo has one, which is OK for free.
    >
    >Could just be one of those Windows "thangs." Good luck.

    Thanks for all this.

    It was a hard wire LAN.

    I left the hotel a week ago. It is in an internet paranoid country, so
    if there was an intruder it is more likely to have been a spook than a
    desk clerk geek.

    As for settings on my laptop, MyComputer -> Properties -> Remote had
    as selected "Allow Remote Assistance invitations . . .". Have now
    deselected.

    No drives shared. "Automatically search for network folders and
    printers" was deselected.

    I can't find "Automatically search for network folders and printers"
    or "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)". I have XP Home edition.

    I had up-to-date Spybot and AVG anti-virus on the laptop.

    I've learned my lesson and now got myself a third-party firewall.

    Richard Wright, Oct 31, 2006
  8. Richard Wright <> loquaciously articulated
    in news::

    > Thanks for all this.
    >
    > It was a hard wire LAN.
    >
    > I left the hotel a week ago. It is in an internet paranoid
    > country, so if there was an intruder it is more likely to have
    > been a spook than a desk clerk geek.
    >
    > As for settings on my laptop, MyComputer -> Properties -> Remote
    > had as selected "Allow Remote Assistance invitations . . .". Have
    > now deselected.
    >
    > No drives shared. "Automatically search for network folders and
    > printers" was deselected.
    >
    > I can't find "Automatically search for network folders and
    > printers" or "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)". I have XP
    > Home edition.
    >
    > I had up-to-date Spybot and AVG anti-virus on the laptop.
    >
    > I've learned my lesson and now got myself a third-party firewall.

    Also for anyone who may have just tuned in: While I remain open and
    negotiable to new ideas, I like ZoneAlarm Pro for software firewall
    because I've had problems with ZoneAlarm Free working with my network
    utilization routines - but I still use the older v5.5.094 because it's
    not as "heavy" with extras as v6.x(+). Proper [NAT] router settings
    protect me pretty good - but of course, not when I'm away on remote
    networks. Anyway, the reason for using 3rd party software firewall is
    to monitor what's going *out*, unlike Windoze Firepillow, which is
    pretty good at blocking incoming, but not outgoing traffic. For malware
    protection I like Windows Defender. It's free, and although the beta
    "expires," Microsoft has renewed it's free status twice, and it's
    really very effective all around. It's been a "set-it-&-forget-it" type
    of operation, with no problems here. You may have to copy and paste the
    following link:

    Glad to hear everything worked out without any tragic remnants, like
    getting zombie-bot'ed by one of those porno-phone-account websites. (o;

    Best regards.

    --
    One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was
    going to take my little nieces and nephews to Disneyland,

    They cried and cried... but I think that deep, deep down,
    they maybe thought it was a pretty good joke.

    I started to drive them over to the real Disneyland, but it was
    getting pretty late and I didn't want to miss the Oprah show.

    I pride myself on being "the sensitive type."

    Bucky Breeder, Oct 31, 2006
  9. "Bucky Breeder" <> wrote in
    message news:Xns986D4D61B104BWiZEERD@216.151.153.14...
    > Richard Wright <> loquaciously articulated
    > in news::

    > Also for anyone who may have just tuned in: While I remain open and
    > negotiable to new ideas, I like ZoneAlarm Pro for software firewall
    > because I've had problems with ZoneAlarm Free working with my network
    > utilization routines - but I still use the older v5.5.094 because it's
    > not as "heavy" with extras as v6.x(+).

    That could be your problem right there. The current version is 6.5.737.000.
    An outdated version may not be compatible with current technology both
    hardware and software.

    Why not just install the latest version and see if the problem goes away ;-)

    Doug

    Douglas C. Neidermeyer, Oct 31, 2006
  10. Richard Wright

    Guest

    "Douglas C. Neidermeyer" <> wrote:

    > but I still use the older v5.5.094 because it's
    >> not as "heavy" with extras as v6.x(+).

    >That could be your problem right there. The current version is 6.5.737.000.
    >An outdated version may not be compatible with current technology both
    >hardware and software.

    FWIW I still use v5.5.094, anything after that is bloatware.

    --
    NASA Says Hubble Repair Mission Is a Go
    http://tinyurl.com/ygs7fd

    , Oct 31, 2006
  11. <> wrote in message
    > "Douglas C. Neidermeyer" <> wrote:
    >
    >> but I still use the older v5.5.094 because it's
    >>> not as "heavy" with extras as v6.x(+).

    >>That could be your problem right there. The current version is
    >>6.5.737.000.
    >>An outdated version may not be compatible with current technology both
    >>hardware and software.

    > FWIW I still use v5.5.094, anything after that is bloatware.

    Interesting comment. What sort of needless fluff has been added?

    Doug

    Douglas C. Neidermeyer, Oct 31, 2006
  12. >> Richard Wright <> loquaciously
    >> articulated in news::

    > [The OP posted his situation here]

    > "Bucky Breeder" <>
    > wrote in message news:Xns986D4D61B104BWiZEERD@216.151.153.14...
    >
    > [big ole snip got implemented here...]
    >
    >> Also for anyone who may have just tuned in: While I remain open
    >> and negotiable to new ideas, I like ZoneAlarm Pro for software
    >> firewall because I've had problems with ZoneAlarm Free working
    >> with my network utilization routines - but I still use the older
    >> v5.5.094 because it's not as "heavy" with extras as v6.x(+).
    >>
    >> [snip was perpetrated here too]

    "Douglas C. Neidermeyer" <> loquaciously articulated
    in news::

    > That could be your problem right there. The current version is
    > 6.5.737.000. An outdated version may not be compatible with
    > current technology both hardware and software.
    >
    > Why not just install the latest version and see if the problem
    > goes away ;-)
    >
    > Doug

    I don't have any problems, Doug. Only opportunities. Oh, lucky me!

    The above snippet you gleaned was my reply, and a part of some
    suggestions to someone trying to work out some specifically delinated
    issues. Those issues involved stopping a potential malware from getting
    in from behind via a router, changing settings, and sending requests
    out, thus allowing a routine or routines to become progressively
    embedded, ultimately compromising a laptop temporarily deployed as a
    guest on a network in an unfamilair remote setting. You following this?
    Don't wurwe, I think the OP got what he was looking for.

    You could get a decent reader, and then read the entire thread before
    you "snip-and-snipe." (o; But that's OK, because I'm standing behind
    my position that v5.5.094 is more efficient than the v6.x(+) models,
    and incidentally, it basically uses the same vsmon engine(s) and
    routines, just the older version doesn't have all the puff and pretty
    smoke that I don't really have a use for. ZA has a webpage that
    basically lists their releases from *way* back, and cites the
    respective changes in a general common-usage-speak mode.

    Here's the precept: It's not what you're using, but how you use it that
    makes all the difference in the world.

    OT: Is your daddy's name Jack and your granddaddy's name was Eddie?
    Just wondering... There can't be that many Neidermeyer's in the USA?

    Happy Halloween, and *don't* eat any wooden lollipops.

    Best regards.

    --

    Driving along, we saw a sign that said "Watch for Rocks."
    My girlfriend said it should read "Watch for Pretty Rocks."

    I told her she should write her suggestion to the highway
    department, but then suddenly she started saying it was
    "only a joke!" Just to get out of writing a simple letter!

    Hmmmm... and I thought I was lazy!

    Bucky Breeder, Oct 31, 2006
  13. Richard Wright

    Scoresby Guest

    ellis_jay wrote:
    > Scoresby wrote:
    > > ellis_jay wrote:

    > >> f the windows firewall
    > >>

    > > By that did you mean "download a quality firewall to replace the
    > > unreliable Windows firewall, such as Zonealarm, which you can get for
    > > free from www.zonelabs.com"?

    > As a matter of fact that was exactly my thought at the time!

    Thought so.

    Scoresby, Oct 31, 2006
  14. "Bucky Breeder" <> wrote in
    message news:Xns986D7C8B940D4WiZEERD@216.151.153.14...

    > OT: Is your daddy's name Jack and your granddaddy's name was Eddie?
    > Just wondering... There can't be that many Neidermeyer's in the USA?

    Douglas C. Neidermeyer,
    Sergeant-at-Arms
    OMEGA House

    Douglas C. Neidermeyer, Oct 31, 2006