    in a new CCD?

    Thanks,

    Cliff

    cbs, Sep 7, 2003

  2. cbs

    Dave Guest

    No, I doubt they will replace the CCD. Mostly likely they will "map
    out" the bad pixel via software. They may argue that it's not a defect
    unless you have more than a certain number of bad pixels.

    Dave, Sep 7, 2003

  3. cbs

    cbs Guest

    "Howard McCollister" <> wrote in message

    > "cbs" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have a hot pixel (think this is the term) on my S2pro. When I shoot

    > images
    > > with dark backgrounds there is one pixel or more that glow. It is still
    > > under warranty but I was curious how they will fix this problem? Do they

    > put
    > > in a new CCD?
    > >

    > You may have more than one hot pixel. Go to http://tinyurl.com/m5zf and
    > download DeadPixelTest. Shoot 4 or 5 pictures in TIF/RGB with the lens cap
    > on in manual mode at various ISOs and various shutter speeds. Usually a

    few
    > shots of the lens cap at 1 second, 1/30 sec, 1/10 second will suffice, and
    > run the resultant TIFs through DeadPixelTest. It will locate hot pixels

    and
    > dead pixels. Hot pixels are exaggerated in JPG mode because of the
    > compression, so it needs to be TIF.
    >
    > I have a hot pixel on my S2 Pro, right in the middle of the image. Easy to
    > deal with in Photoshop, but still very annoying. I called Fuji factory
    > service in Edison, New Jersey and they said just send it in on warranty.
    > They don't replace the sensor, they remap it so that the hot pixel in
    > question returns information averaged from it's nearest neighbors.
    > Turnaround is about 7 days. Don't take it to a Fuji service place, she

    said,
    > they want to take care of their dSLRs in the main factory service place in
    > Edison.
    >
    > I plan to do that some day, before the warranty is up.
    >
    > HMc

    Thanks for the advice. I ran the program and here is what I found. I am
    focusing on the iso and exposures I use most often.

    400iso-30th - 7 hot pixels
    400iso - 125th - 6 hot pixels
    800iso - 30th - 17 hot pixels
    800iso - 125th - 14 hot pixels

    So now I am confused. There appears to not be any dead pixels but I don't
    know what is an acceptable amount of hot pixels for these settings. If these
    numbers are unacceptable which I think they are can Fuji help me or do they
    only solve dead pixels?

    Thanks,

    Cliff

    cbs, Sep 7, 2003
  4. cbs

    gr Guest

    "cbs" <> wrote

    > Thanks for the advice. I ran the program and here is what I found. I am
    > focusing on the iso and exposures I use most often.
    >
    > 400iso-30th - 7 hot pixels
    > 400iso - 125th - 6 hot pixels
    > 800iso - 30th - 17 hot pixels
    > 800iso - 125th - 14 hot pixels
    >

    > So now I am confused. There appears to not be any dead pixels but I don't
    > know what is an acceptable amount of hot pixels for these settings. If

    these
    > numbers are unacceptable which I think they are can Fuji help me or do

    they
    > only solve dead pixels?

    I'm surprised that at those shutter speeds you have any hot pixels. It
    definitely sounds like a defective CCD, and it will probably get worse over
    time. I'm sure Fuji can map out hot pixels just as well as dead pixels (as
    long as they always appear in the same spot), but if you've got that many
    already, mapping may only be a temporary solution. I'd push for a new
    camera.

    gr, Sep 7, 2003
  5. "cbs" <> wrote in message

    > Thanks for the advice. I ran the program and here is what I found. I am
    > focusing on the iso and exposures I use most often.
    >
    > 400iso-30th - 7 hot pixels
    > 400iso - 125th - 6 hot pixels
    > 800iso - 30th - 17 hot pixels
    > 800iso - 125th - 14 hot pixels
    >

    > So now I am confused. There appears to not be any dead pixels but I don't
    > know what is an acceptable amount of hot pixels for these settings. If

    these
    > numbers are unacceptable which I think they are can Fuji help me or do

    they
    > only solve dead pixels?

    The way I understand it from Fuji is that they will run some kind of program
    similar to DeadPixelTest and remap your sensor to eliminate the effects of
    all the defective pixels, hot or dead. Supposedly, if you run DeadPixelTest
    using the same parameters after you get it back, it will show nothing.

    If you didn't see it look at this thread in this group from 9/6/03
    http://tinyurl.com/mjt8 .

    HMc

    Howard McCollister, Sep 7, 2003