Hot dry mount ink jet prints

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by text news, Feb 25, 2004.

  1. text news

    text news Guest

    In case anyone is interested.....

    As a professional photographer I use a hot vacuum press to dry mount most of
    my conventional photographic output.
    If I tried this technique to mount my ink-jet prints produced using Epson
    dye based inks (output from 1520, 1160 and 1290) I found that the image
    degraded due to the heat.

    Rather more than a year ago I bought the 2100 which uses pigment inks but
    never bothered to try dry mounting these based on my earlier experience.

    Today I tried mounting a print from the 2100 and what a difference! no
    change in image quality whatsoever.

    I am running my press at 84 degrees C and give the print 2 minutes. This is
    perhaps a little excessive but is does ensure an excellent bond.

    In my view, hot dry mounting in a vaccum press is the best way to mount
    prints. They will never seperate from the card they are mounted on and the
    dry mounting tissue acts as a barrier between the card and the print helping
    to ensure longevity.

    A lot of hot air is vented about achive quality but again, in my view, ink
    jet output using appropriate pigment inks onto the right paper is just about
    as archival as you can get.

    My ink-jet prints surpass most conventional prints in every respect,
    density of black, colour gamut, fade resistance. I only wish they were
    quicker and cheaper to print!

    Best wishes to all

    Les
    text news, Feb 25, 2004

  2. text news wrote:

    > My ink-jet prints surpass most conventional prints in every respect,
    > density of black, colour gamut, fade resistance. I only wish they were
    > quicker and cheaper to print!

    Inkjet prints will never be fast enough or cheap enough to satisfy everyone.
    When you compare today's 8 x 10 inkjet print to a wet chemistry, custom print
    of only 5 years ago, the relative speed and costs are extremely impressive.
    Being able to capture, edit and print my own images has redefined photography
    for me. And it's been my hobby for over 50 years.
    Bob Williams

    Robert E. Williams, Feb 25, 2004