    kind of thing that could possibly affect something.

    Cheers
    Pseudo

    pseudo, Nov 21, 2007

  2. In article <>, pseudo did
    write:

    > I've just taken a bunch of CDs out of my car, where they've been sitting
    > all day, and they are toasty warm... is it okay to bang them straight into
    > the laptop to use?

    I'm sure your laptop will thank you for it. Should make a change. After all,
    how would you like cold objects shoved into your bodily orifices on a
    regular basis?

    :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 21, 2007

  3. pseudo

    pseudo Guest

    On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 19:41:53 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >> I've just taken a bunch of CDs out of my car, where they've been sitting
    >> all day, and they are toasty warm... is it okay to bang them straight into
    >> the laptop to use?

    > I'm sure your laptop will thank you for it. Should make a change. After all,
    > how would you like cold objects shoved into your bodily orifices on a
    > regular basis?

    ooo don't make me consider the lappy's feelings - I have been bumbling
    around different linux distros for the last year, and I'm pretty certain
    I've done some nasty stuff somewhere along the line. If I have to stop
    and think about it, I'd be too guilty to boot up again. Maybe I should
    offer it some ice cream as an apology (I'm sure the optical whatsit in the
    disk drive will love that, after the hot day we've had!)

    pseudo, Nov 21, 2007
  4. On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 18:40:42 +1300, pseudo wrote:

    > Ok, this is probably a really dumb question, but it's the kind of thing I
    > can lie awake about, convinced I've damaged something.
    >
    > I've just taken a bunch of CDs out of my car, where they've been sitting
    > all day, and they are toasty warm... is it okay to bang them straight into
    > the laptop to use?
    >
    > I don't know much about hardware, and the only things I've ever associated
    > heat issues with are hardware components, but it seems it could be the
    > kind of thing that could possibly affect something.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Pseudo

    Heat and CDs are not a good combination. When reading the CD the drive
    shines a laser onto the CD. That laser generates heat on the disc. I would
    suggest not storing CDs in a location where the heat will rise
    substantially above international standard room temperature.

    I would suggest that if the disc is left for a prolonged period of time in
    an environment that is know to reduce the life of a CD (and even more so
    a CDR or CDRW) the disc should be permitted to return to a normal
    temperature before reading it with a heat-generating laser. :eek:)

    I think that you are right to be concerned about CDs and heat.

    Just my 10 cents worth. :eek:)

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Nov 21, 2007
  5. In article <>, Jonathan Walker did write:

    > Heat and CDs are not a good combination. When reading the CD the drive
    > shines a laser onto the CD. That laser generates heat on the disc.

    Are you suggesting it's bad to shine a laser on the disc?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 21, 2007
  6. On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 22:02:19 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >> Heat and CDs are not a good combination. When reading the CD the drive
    >> shines a laser onto the CD. That laser generates heat on the disc.

    > Are you suggesting it's bad to shine a laser on the disc?

    I'm suggesting that a very bright light is bad for any dye. I'm also
    suggesting that heat and plastic is also a bad combination.

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Nov 21, 2007
  7. pseudo

    geoff Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <>, pseudo
    > did write:
    >
    >> I've just taken a bunch of CDs out of my car, where they've been
    >> sitting all day, and they are toasty warm... is it okay to bang them
    >> straight into the laptop to use?

    > I'm sure your laptop will thank you for it. Should make a change.
    > After all, how would you like cold objects shoved into your bodily
    > orifices on a regular basis?
    >
    > :)

    Your laptop will cope with the CDs just fine if you run Linux.

    geoff

    geoff, Nov 21, 2007
  8. In article <47440d89$>, Jonathan Walker did write:

    > On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 22:02:19 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >>> Heat and CDs are not a good combination. When reading the CD the drive
    >>> shines a laser onto the CD. That laser generates heat on the disc.

    >> Are you suggesting it's bad to shine a laser on the disc?

    > I'm suggesting that a very bright light is bad for any dye.

    So what do you think will happen to the discs in normal use?

    > I'm also suggesting that heat and plastic is also a bad combination.

    You said that already.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 22, 2007
  9. On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 19:09:19 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> Are you suggesting it's bad to shine a laser on the disc?

    >> I'm suggesting that a very bright light is bad for any dye.

    > So what do you think will happen to the discs in normal use?

    Normal wear and tear.

    It is a given that optical discs do not last forever.

    What is it that degrades writeable discs?

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Nov 22, 2007
  10. In article <>, Jonathan Walker did write:

    > What is it that degrades writeable discs?

    The same thing that degrades read-only ones--the atmosphere.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 22, 2007