Hot C: drive

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by DP, Apr 14, 2006.

  1. DP

    DP Guest

    {{{{{Please note that I have posted this question to another newsgroup on
    AMD 64-bit chips. Why? That NG and this one are on different servers and I
    don't know how to post to them both at the same time using OE. If they were
    both on the same server, I'd know how to do it. -dp }}}}

    Does anyone know if dual-core chips (in my case an AMD) or Windows XP x64 or
    both tend to cause the main drive (C:) to run hot?

    I have a Western Digital SATA drive which I can easily get above 55 degrees
    C, according to the HD Tune utility. The utility's web site also says drives
    shouldn't be running above 50 degrees, and 60 degrees would be a big
    problem. I have know way of knowing if that's true (unless I get the drive
    past 60 and see if I smell smoke).

    I'm just wondering if either the OS or the dual-core could be a culprit
    based on anyone else's experience.

    I have another SATA drive (a Maxtor) on the same machine that does not have
    this problem (but I haven't tried making it the C: drive yet).

    DP, Apr 14, 2006

  2. No, there's no reason a dual core will cause it to run hotter. The reason it
    will run hot is it's BUSY. You need to address the cooling in your case, or
    find a better drive to use as C:. This one won't last long at those
    temperatures.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 14, 2006

  3. DP

    John Barnes Guest

    Have you checked the fragmentation on the drive. If it is badly fragmented
    it increase activity considerably.

    John Barnes, Apr 14, 2006
  4. In addition to the above, take a look inside to see how the drives are
    mounted. If they sit in close proximity - to each other or anything else
    that prevents free air-circulation, any one drive, or both, will tend to get
    rather hot unless you have a dedicated fan at the front of the case. If you
    have a small case with two HD and maybe two CD/DVD's and no dedicated fan -
    I'd say: There's your answer!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Apr 14, 2006
  5. DP

    DP Guest

    Since the whole rig is relatively new, the usually drive isn't very
    fragmented and I defrag it often, so that's not an issue.

    DP, Apr 14, 2006
  6. DP

    DP Guest

    The other HD, which I mounted after I bought the machine, is neaby but not
    directly adjacent to it.
    In other words, I have three 3.5 inch bays. The C drive is in the bottom bay
    and the second HD is in the top bay. So there is a whole drive bay between
    them.

    There was a plastic box directly under the C drive. Looks like it was
    designed to hold a fan that would blow out (or draw from) the front grill.
    But there was no fan there. So I took the box out and that helped a little
    (I did this before my OP). But I can still get the drive up to 50 degrees C
    fairly easily. This behavior, of course, is unacceptable.

    I've bought a drive fan that works out of a 5.25 bay. I'll probably move C:
    into the fan and into the larger bay, which will put it a little further
    away from the other HD and see if that works.

    Meanwhile, I've backed up my crucial files.

    DP, Apr 14, 2006
  7. DP

    Peter Lawton Guest

    I've got a big fan blowing directly over the HDDs in my case and they run
    very cool and they are 15K RPM SCSI, I suspect you just need some forced air
    flow over your drives, quite a lot of fast drives these days do need more
    than natural cooling.

    Peter Lawton

    Peter Lawton, Apr 14, 2006
  8. Backing up, probably is not overly cautious. I think I might want to put on
    a belt and suspenders too.

    Like Charlie said, is the HD active all the time? If so, check task manager
    and see if you find anything obvious. Is there anything at all that you
    think is strange about that drive? Like, not having the full capacity, or
    anything? If nothing else crops up, I might consider re-installing
    everything from scratch. Re-partitioning and everything!

    I agree, with an empty bay in between, that is not an issue in itself - how
    is the processsor temperature? Graphic Card? Perhaps you need a dedicated
    exhaust from that one? The extra fan you mention, you will definitely need.

    I've seen a Motherboard with the chipset cooler (sink) mounted at the back
    of the AGP connector such that it expelled right into the Graphic Card's
    ventilation, no big temperatures to start with, but it was building up and
    there was nothing to stop it and over a few hours the whole case was more
    than warm. You need to put the whole of that machines inside under scrutiny,
    I think.

    And don't forget to look at the 'flat cables' - an exchange to the 'round'
    type might help as well.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Apr 14, 2006
  9. DP

    Guest

    That's pretty much the same layout of HDs in my machine, which had the
    same overheating problems, although I kept the box in as I'd mounted
    an intake fan there. As an experiment I put one of the HD coolers that
    fix to the underside of the drive between them (mounted to the drive
    cage, rather than the HD itself), and the temp dropped right down. It
    doesn't seem to take much airflow at all to cool the disks to an
    acceptable level.

    >On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 20:23:12 -0500, "DP" <> wrote:

    >The other HD, which I mounted after I bought the machine, is neaby but not
    >directly adjacent to it.
    >In other words, I have three 3.5 inch bays. The C drive is in the bottom bay
    >and the second HD is in the top bay. So there is a whole drive bay between
    >them.
    >
    >There was a plastic box directly under the C drive. Looks like it was
    >designed to hold a fan that would blow out (or draw from) the front grill.
    >But there was no fan there. So I took the box out and that helped a little
    >(I did this before my OP). But I can still get the drive up to 50 degrees C
    >fairly easily. This behavior, of course, is unacceptable.
    >
    >I've bought a drive fan that works out of a 5.25 bay. I'll probably move C:
    >into the fan and into the larger bay, which will put it a little further
    >away from the other HD and see if that works.
    >
    >Meanwhile, I've backed up my crucial files.

    , Apr 15, 2006
  10. DP

    DP Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > That's pretty much the same layout of HDs in my machine, which had the
    > same overheating problems, although I kept the box in as I'd mounted
    > an intake fan there. As an experiment I put one of the HD coolers that
    > fix to the underside of the drive between them (mounted to the drive
    > cage, rather than the HD itself), and the temp dropped right down. It
    > doesn't seem to take much airflow at all to cool the disks to an
    > acceptable level.

    I went to compusa and bought the only type of drive cooler I could see
    there. It fits into a 5.25 in bay and has three small fans that blow out
    through the front. It also acts as an adapter, so I can fit a 3.5 inch drive
    in there.

    It was easier for me to move the drive that wasn't heating up to connect it
    with the three-fan adapter. At least that puts more separation between the
    drives and blows some more hot air out of the computer case. That seems to
    have slowed down the rate at which the C: drive gets hot, but hasn't
    eliminated the problem.

    Earlier today I ordered the type of cooler you're talking about, the one
    that attaches to the bottom of the drive itself. Hope that'll do something.
    But it'll be several days before that arrives. Until then, I'll be keeping
    my eye on the HD Tune readout in the system tray.

    Thanks.

    DP, Apr 15, 2006
  11. This is the single biggest reason I strongly suggest making a careful choice
    of case. I had a similar situation, compounded by too many drives in the
    case, and by changing to a case designed to be a better cooling case (while
    actually being quieter!), I dropped temperatures internally by from 10-20
    degrees C. I went with the Antec P-180, and used a Seasonic power supply in
    it. Not the cheapest solution, certainly, but the difference has been
    remarkable. And I can't even HEAR that server now. :)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 15, 2006
  12. DP

    DP Guest

    Thanks to all who replied.
    As one person on this NG suggested, it is, in fact, a firmware problem with
    some WD drives made last year.
    That's a relief. But I will continue to back up regularly!

    DP, Apr 19, 2006