HostsToggle tries to autodial? Is malware?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Franklin, Jan 3, 2005.

  1. Franklin

    Franklin Guest

    I usually run the freeware program HostsToggle to enable or disable
    my hosts file at the press of a button.

    When I run System Internals' Registry Monitor (also free) I notice
    that HostsToggle runs a registry key called 'Enable Autodial'.

    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\...
    ...InternetSettings\EnableAutodial

    And it continues to do this TWICE A SECOND. That seems weird.

    If I run Registry Monitor before I launch HostsToggle then when I run
    HostsToggle I notice that it queries many registry keys to do with
    international dialing cards.

    Is HostsToggle actually malware?

    Links:
    http://accs-net.com/hosts/HostsToggle/
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/regmon.shtml

    --

    xposted: alt.comp.freeware, comp.security.misc, alt.computer.security

    Franklin, Jan 3, 2005