    Is there no local nameresolution anymore, or if I edit it myself with
    creating \etc do i have to add a registry-entry for the searchpad ?

    regards jk

    Juergen Kluth, May 17, 2005

  2. "Juergen Kluth" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi,
    > WXP-64 retail;
    >
    > while i walked through the directory-structure i found out, that i have NO
    > system\drivers\etc\host
    >
    > Is there no local nameresolution anymore, or if I edit it myself with
    > creating \etc do i have to add a registry-entry for the searchpad ?
    >
    > regards jk

    Because it is actually at ...\system32\drivers\etc\host

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], May 17, 2005

  3. Hi,
    i did realise my "system32" fault. !!

    But this \system32\etc\ and hosts (below this) are NOT installed !

    regards jk

    Juergen Kluth, May 17, 2005
  4. Again : hosts - for DNS Query

    Sorry, for correction :
    \system32\drivers\etc\
    \system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    neither folder nor file exists , nor lmhosts ....

    regards jk
    might be a BUG

    Juergen Kluth, May 17, 2005
  5. "Juergen Kluth" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > i did realise my "system32" fault. !!
    >
    > But this \system32\etc\ and hosts (below this) are NOT installed !
    >
    > regards jk

    Odd, as it is there on my system.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], May 17, 2005
  6. Juergen Kluth wrote:

    > But this \system32\etc\ and hosts (below this) are NOT
    > installed !

    It is here.

    --
    Regards
    Madsen

    Thomas G. Madsen, May 17, 2005
  7. Hi,
    i checked my installation cd (englisch with mutli german / japanes pack)
    host and lmhosts are in there ??

    could you post a directory listing of \etc
    regards jk

    Juergen Kluth, May 17, 2005
  8. Re: Again : hosts - for DNS Query

    I'll repeat what others have said. The directory is there, and the file is
    there, on a clean, fresh, x64 Edition install. However, I would caution you
    to make sure you've got your Explorer set to be able to see Protected System
    Files -- given that the directory is where it is, it would be hidden from you
    otherwise.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 18, 2005
  9. Strange :: Re: Again : hosts - for DNS Query

    HI,
    I did a more specific research, I do have the following effect :

    I can find system32\drivers\etc + disdn folder and files in these folder
    when i use
    64 bit explorer or start cmd via "start"-"run"

    I CAN'T see these folder if i use 32bit explorer, or (32bit) Total-Commander
    or use cmd, started on the commandline of total-commander.
    I am already able to change within cmd to change in \etc allthough it was
    not listed before, as u can see here :

    **starting cmd via total-commander-command line
    Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.

    D:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers>dir
    Volume in drive D has no label.
    Volume Serial Number is 6836-65C9

    Directory of D:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers

    18.05.2005 15:18 <DIR> .
    18.05.2005 15:18 <DIR> ..
    0 File(s) 0 bytes
    2 Dir(s) 1.868.353.536 bytes free

    **no expected files/lolders found

    D:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers>cd etc

    D:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\etc>dir
    Volume in drive D has no label.
    Volume Serial Number is 6836-65C9

    Directory of D:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\etc

    18.05.2005 17:10 <DIR> .
    18.05.2005 17:10 <DIR> ..
    25.03.2005 14:00 3.440.660 gm.dls
    25.03.2005 14:00 646 gmreadme.txt
    25.03.2005 14:00 734 hosts
    25.03.2005 14:00 3.683 lmhosts.sam
    25.03.2005 14:00 407 networks
    25.03.2005 14:00 799 protocol
    25.03.2005 14:00 14.132 services
    7 File(s) 3.461.061 bytes
    2 Dir(s) 1.868.353.536 bytes free

    D:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\etc>

    **changing and listing possible

    I do have the same effect if I start 32-bit Explorer, navigate to
    system32\drivers, create a new shortcut "cmd" and execute this !
    **u might have to walk down manually

    At last, if i use Total-Cmd I find a file "hfile.txt" -0 bytes- which is
    marked hidden/system.

    Can u confirm ?
    Any clue ?

    regards jk

    "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> schrieb im
    Newsbeitrag news:...

    Juergen Kluth, May 18, 2005
  10. Juergen Kluth

    R. B. Guest

    Re: Strange :: Re: Again : hosts - for DNS Query

    See the post on the newsgroup titled "32bit -- 64bit different
    browser-results" This is due to WOW64 filesystem redirection.

    R. B., May 18, 2005
  11. Re: Strange :: Re: Again : hosts - for DNS Query

    When reporting a problem, especially when others are not able to reproduce
    what you appear to be seeing, it's _really_ important to make sure you're
    using the default, built in tools on your end, or that you clearly report
    your environment. I'm not at all surprised, NOW, that you're having problems.
    Total Commander is obviously a 32-bit program. So, when you run cmd or
    explorer out of it, you're getting the 32-bit version. This means you're
    seeing the 32-bit view of the filesystem, which needs to be this way to
    "fool" the 32-bit programs and make them happy. Please always check against
    the full 64 bit version of a tool if you have a problem and can't identify
    the source.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 19, 2005