    slaving it to another system. Windows has this a read only file, and REFUSES
    to allow me to modify it [hey who owns this computer? me or microsoft!] how
    on God's green earth can someone modify his hosts file on a xp 64 system?

    Hog Gravy and Chitlins, Dec 22, 2009

  2. Hog Gravy and Chitlins

    Poutnik Guest

    In article <>, =?Utf-
    8?B?SG9nIEdyYXZ5IGFuZCBDaGl0bGlucw==?= says...

    > why should this be so mad bloody difficult? All I want to do is add a few
    > lines of text to my hosts file to solve a unreachable website problem. I have
    > tried every way I can think of: logged on as Administrator, unchecking the
    > read only atribute, copying it to the desktop, modifying and copying it back,
    > using a "hoster" modification utility, short of yanking the hard drive and
    > slaving it to another system. Windows has this a read only file, and REFUSES
    > to allow me to modify it [hey who owns this computer? me or microsoft!] how
    > on God's green earth can someone modify his hosts file on a xp 64 system?

    Could it be you are using a security software
    protecting the host file ?

    --
    Poutnik
    The best depends on how the best is defined.

    Poutnik, Dec 22, 2009

  3. no, I removed my av software, and disabled anti-spyware (and anything else
    not necessary at the moment) with process manager.

    Hog Gravy and Chitlins, Dec 22, 2009
  4. I had to add my personal login to the permissions and I just now saved a
    change to the hosts file. I did not have any permissions initially.

    Bobby Johnson, Dec 22, 2009
  5. Hog Gravy and Chitlins

    Poutnik Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > no, I removed my av software, and disabled anti-spyware (and anything else
    > not necessary at the moment) with process manager.

    Did you tried to check you VirtualStore folders, if there is file
    remapping for hosts files ?

    BTW, I was successful in editing it.
    Your system may be twisted, especially if AV in out of the game now.

    Poutnik, Dec 22, 2009
  6. Hog Gravy and Chitlins

    Al Dykes Guest

    In article <>,
    =?Utf-8?B?SG9nIEdyYXZ5IGFuZCBDaGl0bGlucw==?= <> wrote:
    >no, I removed my av software, and disabled anti-spyware (and anything else
    >not necessary at the moment) with process manager.
    >
    >"Poutnik" wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>, =?Utf-
    >> 8?B?SG9nIEdyYXZ5IGFuZCBDaGl0bGlucw==?= says...
    >> >
    >> > why should this be so mad bloody difficult? All I want to do is add a few
    >> > lines of text to my hosts file to solve a unreachable website problem. I have
    >> > tried every way I can think of: logged on as Administrator, unchecking the
    >> > read only atribute, copying it to the desktop, modifying and copying it back,
    >> > using a "hoster" modification utility, short of yanking the hard drive and
    >> > slaving it to another system. Windows has this a read only file, and REFUSES
    >> > to allow me to modify it [hey who owns this computer? me or microsoft!] how
    >> > on God's green earth can someone modify his hosts file on a xp 64 system?

    >> Could it be you are using a security software
    >> protecting the host file ?

    (Please don't top-post.)

    Is your text editor adding ".txt" to the file name?

    (Windows's default of hiding ffiletypes is evil, IMO.)
    --
    Al Dykes

    Al Dykes, Dec 22, 2009
  7. Hog Gravy and Chitlins

    Poutnik Guest

    In article <e#>,
    says...

    > I had to add my personal login to the permissions and I just now saved a
    > change to the hosts file. I did not have any permissions initially.

    Mysteries have often easy explanation.

    Not necesserily related, but In Vista64,
    when applications do not have permitions to modify file,
    they often save it in VirtualStore, at this location has a priority.

    In case of hosts file, it would be
    C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ _ wait for it ....
    Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

    Poutnik, Dec 22, 2009
  8. Top posting has become the default in this group. People that bottom
    post tend to confuse the whole subject.

    Bobby Johnson, Dec 22, 2009
  9. Hog Gravy and Chitlins

    Poutnik Guest

    In article <#>,
    says...

    > Top posting has become the default in this group. People that bottom
    > post tend to confuse the whole subject.

    Well, top posting breaks natural info flow
    and is often used by posters
    that do not bother to quote properly, or ever.

    But, no matter what way is better,
    I would expect for any thread
    the best way is keeping the way it was used.

    Poutnik, Dec 22, 2009
  10. Hog Gravy and Chitlins

    Dennis Pack Guest

    OT: Re: hosts file

    Poutnik:
    I've been in this group since the beginning when XP x64 went gold.
    Top posting is common but not required. I prefer top posting, you prefer
    bottom posting, neither of us are right or wrong it's just our preference.
    The default in Windows Mail, Windows Live Mail and Mozilla Thunderbird is to
    add the posting to the top just like e-mail does. It is possible to change
    the default in the news reader to make it bottom post. Relax, enjoy and have
    a great holiday season.

    --
    Dennis Pack
    Win-7 Professional x64, Win-7 Enterprise x64, MS Office 2010 beta

    Dennis Pack, Dec 22, 2009
  11. Hog Gravy and Chitlins

    Poutnik Guest

    Re: OT: Re: hosts file

    In article <>,
    says...

    > Poutnik:
    > I've been in this group since the beginning when XP x64 went gold.
    > Top posting is common but not required. I prefer top posting, you prefer
    > bottom posting, neither of us are right or wrong it's just our preference.
    > The default in Windows Mail, Windows Live Mail and Mozilla Thunderbird is to
    > add the posting to the top just like e-mail does. It is possible to change
    > the default in the news reader to make it bottom post. Relax, enjoy and have
    > a great holiday season.

    Well, I use dedicated newsreader client Gravity.

    It is many years ago I used to read news
    by universal mail/news clients.

    Not all what is good for mails is good for news.

    Poutnik, Dec 22, 2009
  12. Hog Gravy and Chitlins

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    Re: OT: Re: hosts file

    On 22/12/2009 in message
    <> Dennis Pack wrote:

    > I've been in this group since the beginning when XP x64 went gold. Top posting is common but not required. I prefer top posting, you prefer bottom posting, neither of us are right or wrong it's just our preference. The default in Windows Mail, Windows Live Mail and Mozilla Thunderbird is to add the posting to the top just like e-mail does. It is possible to change the default in the news reader to make it bottom post. Relax, enjoy and have a great holiday season.

    That's not actually true, although many people who only started using
    Usenet with Windows seem to believe it.

    The clearest and most logical way to reply to a post is to intersperse
    your replies with the original. The cursor is at the top so you can move
    down the post, snip extraneous bits and add your reply at the appropriate
    point. Some languages are written left to right, some right to left. None
    are written bottom to top.

    --
    Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
    All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

    Jeff Gaines, Dec 22, 2009
  13. Hog Gravy and Chitlins

    Drew Guest

    Re: OT: Re: hosts file

    "Jeff Gaines" <> wrote in message
    > On 22/12/2009 in message
    > <> Dennis Pack wrote:
    >
    >> I've been in this group since the beginning when XP x64 went gold. Top
    >> posting is common but not required. I prefer top posting, you prefer
    >> bottom posting, neither of us are right or wrong it's just our
    >> preference. The default in Windows Mail, Windows Live Mail and Mozilla
    >> Thunderbird is to add the posting to the top just like e-mail does. It is
    >> possible to change the default in the news reader to make it bottom post.
    >> Relax, enjoy and have a great holiday season.

    > That's not actually true, although many people who only started using
    > Usenet with Windows seem to believe it.
    >
    > The clearest and most logical way to reply to a post is to intersperse
    > your replies with the original. The cursor is at the top so you can move
    > down the post, snip extraneous bits and add your reply at the appropriate
    > point. Some languages are written left to right, some right to left. None
    > are written bottom to top.

    Chinese is written top to bottom and read right to left.

    Drew, Dec 22, 2009
  14. Hog Gravy and Chitlins

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Re: OT: Re: hosts file

    Jeff:
    I made no reference to Usenet. There were different newsgroups for
    XP x64 for beta testers and customer preview users, when XP x64 went gold
    this newsgroup was started by Microsoft and the other XP x64 newsgroups
    ended. Charlie Russel and John Barnes are also original posters along with
    many others.

    Dennis Pack, Dec 23, 2009
  15. Hog Gravy and Chitlins

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    Re: OT: Re: hosts file

    On 22/12/2009 in message <> Drew wrote:

    >Chinese is written top to bottom and read right to left.

    No wonder I end up with toffee pudding when I ordered a banana split :)

    --
    Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
    That's an amazing invention but who would ever want to use one of them?

    Jeff Gaines, Dec 23, 2009
  16. Hog Gravy and Chitlins

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    Re: OT: Re: hosts file

    On 23/12/2009 in message
    <> Dennis Pack wrote:

    > I made no reference to Usenet. There were different newsgroups for XP x64 for beta testers and customer preview users, when XP x64 went gold this newsgroup was started by Microsoft and the other XP x64 newsgroups ended. Charlie Russel and John Barnes are also original posters along with many others.

    This is Usenet.

    --
    Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

    Jeff Gaines, Dec 23, 2009
  17. Hog Gravy and Chitlins

    XS11E Guest

    Re: OT: Re: hosts file

    "Jeff Gaines" <> wrote:

    > On 23/12/2009 in message
    > <> Dennis Pack
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I made no reference to Usenet. There were different newsgroups
    >> for XP x64 for beta testers and customer preview users, when XP
    >> x64 went gold this newsgroup was started by Microsoft and the
    >> other XP x64 newsgroups ended. Charlie Russel and John Barnes
    >> are also original posters along with many others.

    > This is Usenet.

    Correct, MSFT has their own private servers but anything on the public
    servers is propagated throughout Usenet and therefore IS part of
    Usenet.

    The Usenet Improvement Project:

    XS11E, Dec 23, 2009
  18. Hog Gravy and Chitlins