HOSTS file in XP?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ClueLess, Sep 18, 2007.

  1. ClueLess

    ClueLess Guest

    Hi

    I find that several sites are not displayed in XP Pro and there is no
    HOSTS file anywhere.

    How these sites are prevented from being accessed in XP? The same
    sites are easily accessible in 98SE.

    XP firewall is disabled.

    Hope some of you reading this will throw some light on this

    TIA

    ClueLess

    ClueLess, Sep 18, 2007

  2. ClueLess

    pcbutts1 Guest

    What sites?

    pcbutts1, Sep 18, 2007

  3. ClueLess wrote:

    > XP firewall is disabled.

    Not a good idea...

    Or ... leave it disabled and get a better one.
    <http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Home-Home-Office/Sunbelt-Personal-Firewall/>

    <quote>
    You know that you need a firewall, but firewalls need to give you 2-way
    protection: incoming and outgoing...

    * The built-in free firewall in Windows XP is worse than useless,
    since it is only one-way and gives you a false sense of security
    * The SPF two-way firewall keeps hackers out and your private info
    inside, and has some very advanced features as well.
    </quote>

    The full trial version becomes free with some features disabled.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 18, 2007
  4. ClueLess

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    lid says...
    > Hi
    >
    > I find that several sites are not displayed in XP Pro and there is no
    > HOSTS file anywhere.
    >
    > How these sites are prevented from being accessed in XP? The same
    > sites are easily accessible in 98SE.
    >
    > XP firewall is disabled.
    >
    > Hope some of you reading this will throw some light on this

    The firewall in XP does not block any site from being show.

    Are you using something other than the Windows XP firewall?

    What browser are you using?

    Do you have content filtering enabled?

    What message, if any, are you being presented from your browser?

    --
    Leythos - (remove 999 to email me)

    Fight exposing kids to porn, complain about sites like PCBUTTS1.COM that
    create filth and put it on the web for any kid to see: Just take a look
    at some of the FILTH he's created and put on his website:
    http://forums.speedguide.net/archive/index.php/t-223485.html all exposed
    'exposed to kids'.
    Leythos, Sep 18, 2007
  5. ClueLess

    ClueLess Guest

    On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 01:27:56 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >You know that you need a firewall, but firewalls need to give you 2-way
    >protection: incoming and outgoing...

    I do have ZA active and it has all the necessary permissions.

    Is there any other way than the HOSTS file to control site access?

    Thanks for your time and attention

    ClueLess

    ClueLess, Sep 20, 2007
  6. ClueLess wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> You know that you need a firewall, but firewalls need to give you
    >> 2-way protection: incoming and outgoing...

    > I do have ZA active and it has all the necessary permissions. Is there
    > any other way than the HOSTS file to control site access?

    My firewall has the ability to block sites by domain name. Check yours
    for this.

    What browser are you using? Try a different one.

    You also said your XP computer can't get to these unknown sites, but
    your Win98 computer can. Are they using the same connection? Broadband
    with a router, or the same dialup number?

    And please, list some of the sites that you can't get to.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 20, 2007
  7. ClueLess

    Tester Guest

    On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 06:40:52 +0530, ClueLess
    <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I find that several sites are not displayed in XP Pro and there is no
    >HOSTS file anywhere.
    >
    >How these sites are prevented from being accessed in XP? The same
    >sites are easily accessible in 98SE.
    >
    >XP firewall is disabled.

    The hosts file in XP is usually

    c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts