    http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/

    Would it really offer some protection against spyware, or is it itself
    a source?

    Alind, Jun 25, 2005

  2. Alind

    Strawbis Guest

    It will only offer protection against some ads, banners, pop-ups, etc.

    Host files do not protect against malware downloads. They only block known
    (if included) "bad" websites from connecting to your browser\e-mail client
    or exploiting some of the holes therein.

    To summarise: the file is a start, but it's not a magic bullet.

    S.

    Strawbis, Jul 16, 2005

  3. Alind

    Moe Trin Guest

    In the Usenet newsgroup alt.computer.security, in article
    <mA8Ce.387$>, Strawbis wrote:

    >It will only offer protection against some ads, banners, pop-ups, etc.

    if the URLs are coded as hostnames.

    >Host files do not protect against malware downloads. They only block known
    >(if included) "bad" websites from connecting to your browser\e-mail client
    >or exploiting some of the holes therein.

    They don't have any effect if the URL is a dotted quad (the actual IP
    address, like 69.50.187.218 instead of Coolsearch.biz).

    >To summarise: the file is a start, but it's not a magic bullet.

    It is a very poor start of quite limited usefulness.

    but then, almost anything is better than nothing.

    Old guy

    Moe Trin, Jul 18, 2005