Hosting w/dedicated IP Question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John, Jul 19, 2007.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Hello,

    My webhosting plan has given me a free dedicated IP address.

    I have a lot of space and was thinking of starting a gaming server.

    Can I just upload the game files to a folder and point my IP to the
    gaming server list?

    Will this work?

    Does a gaming serving use a lot of bandwidth?

    Any help would be appreciated.

    John, Jul 19, 2007

  2. John

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 12:39:31 -0700, John
    <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >

    >My webhosting plan has given me a free dedicated IP address.
    >

    >I have a lot of space and was thinking of starting a gaming server.
    >

    >Can I just upload the game files to a folder and point my IP to the
    >gaming server list?
    >

    >Will this work?

    I seriously doubt it. I believe a gaming server needs to run special
    software.

    >Does a gaming serving use a lot of bandwidth?

    Depends on what game, how many people connect to it, etc.

    Evan Platt, Jul 19, 2007

  3. John wrote:

    > My webhosting plan has given me a free dedicated IP address.
    >

    > I have a lot of space and was thinking of starting a gaming server.

    Right. Hey, you haven't mentioned bandwidth.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 19, 2007