    Hello, I would like to learn how to host a web site off my own computer
    here, I understand there is free software that can allow me to do this and I
    need to get a domain. Thanks.

    James Smith, Apr 15, 2005

  2. James Smith

    Shane Guest

    On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 19:29:16 +1200, James Smith wrote:

    > Hello, I would like to learn how to host a web site off my own computer
    > here, I understand there is free software that can allow me to do this and I
    > need to get a domain. Thanks.

    for windows?
    option 1)
    theres a thread here _somewhere_ (have a look through google)
    that will tell you how to install IIS on XP or windows 2000 pro
    (I assume its all versions of XP)
    option 2)
    rip over to www.apache.org and download their free webserver for windows
    (although I hear windows apache is a royal PITA)
    option 3)
    somehow obtain a unix like OS (like Linux or *BSD) that will come with
    apache webserver software (and damned easier to work with than the windows
    version I am told)
    you can get Linux either by downloading a flavour, or look on trademe, or
    look in the local trade & exchange, or attend a local LUG meeting
    get google out and look for a thread on recommended flavours for newbies
    HTH

    Shane, Apr 15, 2005

  3. James Smith

    Shane Guest

    On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 19:37:33 +1200, Shane wrote:

    > On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 19:29:16 +1200, James Smith wrote:
    >
    >> Hello, I would like to learn how to host a web site off my own computer
    >> here, I understand there is free software that can allow me to do this and I
    >> need to get a domain. Thanks.

    > for windows?
    > option 1)
    > theres a thread here _somewhere_ (have a look through google)
    > that will tell you how to install IIS on XP or windows 2000 pro
    > (I assume its all versions of XP)
    > option 2)
    > rip over to www.apache.org and download their free webserver for windows
    > (although I hear windows apache is a royal PITA)
    > option 3)
    > somehow obtain a unix like OS (like Linux or *BSD) that will come with
    > apache webserver software (and damned easier to work with than the windows
    > version I am told)
    > you can get Linux either by downloading a flavour, or look on trademe, or
    > look in the local trade & exchange, or attend a local LUG meeting
    > get google out and look for a thread on recommended flavours for newbies
    > HTH

    oh shit .. I forgot to mention
    you dont _need_ a domain
    your IP will suffice,
    however if you want a domain something like no-ip or dyndns can provide
    free ones for dynamic IP's
    you could buy a domain, but Id wait until you found your feet first ;-)

    Shane, Apr 15, 2005
  4. James Smith

    James Smith Guest

    "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 19:37:33 +1200, Shane wrote:
    >
    > > On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 19:29:16 +1200, James Smith wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hello, I would like to learn how to host a web site off my own computer
    > >> here, I understand there is free software that can allow me to do this

    and I
    > >> need to get a domain. Thanks.

    > > for windows?
    > > option 1)
    > > theres a thread here _somewhere_ (have a look through google)
    > > that will tell you how to install IIS on XP or windows 2000 pro
    > > (I assume its all versions of XP)
    > > option 2)
    > > rip over to www.apache.org and download their free webserver for windows
    > > (although I hear windows apache is a royal PITA)
    > > option 3)
    > > somehow obtain a unix like OS (like Linux or *BSD) that will come with
    > > apache webserver software (and damned easier to work with than the

    windows
    > > version I am told)
    > > you can get Linux either by downloading a flavour, or look on trademe,

    or
    > > look in the local trade & exchange, or attend a local LUG meeting
    > > get google out and look for a thread on recommended flavours for newbies
    > > HTH

    > oh shit .. I forgot to mention
    > you dont _need_ a domain
    > your IP will suffice,
    > however if you want a domain something like no-ip or dyndns can provide
    > free ones for dynamic IP's
    > you could buy a domain, but Id wait until you found your feet first ;-)

    Thanks for the information. Its just what I needed. I have heard of Linux
    and I will try it one day!

    James Smith, Apr 15, 2005
  5. James Smith

    KewlKiwi Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > you can get Linux either by downloading a flavour, or look on trademe, or
    > look in the local trade & exchange, or attend a local LUG meeting

    Or even from DSE who have several flavours and prices, e.g.

    http://tinyurl.com/cjm92

    for a buck.

    Bob

    KewlKiwi, Apr 15, 2005
  6. James Smith

    steve Guest

    James Smith wrote:
    > Hello, I would like to learn how to host a web site off my own computer
    > here, I understand there is free software that can allow me to do this and I
    > need to get a domain. Thanks.

    Yep....

    I use Apache on Linux.

    My domain(s) are hosted by my ISP...and they point to the static IP that
    use for my web server. The static IP is actually my ADSL router....but
    port 80 is re-directed to an internal IP address via the "Virtual
    Servers" function on my router. I changed the web admin port for the
    router to a different port than 80.....to avoid a clash.

    That's pretty much it.

    You can also have your own mail server. My web server and mail server
    are on the same box. Again, you re-direct port 25 from the ADSL router
    to the internal IP address of the relevant system - whether it's the
    same box, or a different one.

    steve, Apr 15, 2005
  7. James Smith said the following on 15/04/2005 7:29 p.m.:
    > Hello, I would like to learn how to host a web site off my own computer
    > here, I understand there is free software that can allow me to do this and I
    > need to get a domain. Thanks.

    Oh Goodie another box to own :cool:

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

    Collector»NZ, Apr 15, 2005
  8. James Smith

    James Smith Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    > James Smith wrote:
    > > Hello, I would like to learn how to host a web site off my own computer
    > > here, I understand there is free software that can allow me to do this

    and I
    > > need to get a domain. Thanks.

    > Yep....
    >
    > I use Apache on Linux.
    >
    > My domain(s) are hosted by my ISP...and they point to the static IP that
    > use for my web server. The static IP is actually my ADSL router....but
    > port 80 is re-directed to an internal IP address via the "Virtual
    > Servers" function on my router. I changed the web admin port for the
    > router to a different port than 80.....to avoid a clash.
    >
    > That's pretty much it.
    >
    > You can also have your own mail server. My web server and mail server
    > are on the same box. Again, you re-direct port 25 from the ADSL router
    > to the internal IP address of the relevant system - whether it's the
    > same box, or a different one.

    Thanks for the info, I have checked and my router modem has the same
    functionalities as yours. I may give the mail server stuff a try later on.

    James Smith, Apr 16, 2005
  9. Shane wrote:
    > On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 19:29:16 +1200, James Smith wrote:
    >

    >>Hello, I would like to learn how to host a web site off my own computer
    >>here, I understand there is free software that can allow me to do this and I
    >>need to get a domain. Thanks.

    > for windows?
    > option 1)
    > theres a thread here _somewhere_ (have a look through google)
    > that will tell you how to install IIS on XP or windows 2000 pro
    > (I assume its all versions of XP)
    > option 2)
    > rip over to www.apache.org and download their free webserver for windows
    > (although I hear windows apache is a royal PITA)
    > option 3)
    > somehow obtain a unix like OS (like Linux or *BSD) that will come with
    > apache webserver software (and damned easier to work with than the windows
    > version I am told)
    > you can get Linux either by downloading a flavour, or look on trademe, or
    > look in the local trade & exchange, or attend a local LUG meeting
    > get google out and look for a thread on recommended flavours for newbies
    > HTH

    option 4, If it is simple html, you could try simple server from
    www.analogx.com

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 17, 2005
  10. James Smith

    AD. Guest

    On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 19:29:16 +1200, James Smith wrote:

    > Hello, I would like to learn how to host a web site off my own computer
    > here, I understand there is free software that can allow me to do this and
    > I need to get a domain. Thanks.

    Not to be a wet blanket, but you should seriously reconsider doing this
    yourself without a better idea of whats involved - especially compared to
    how cheaply this can be done by someone else.

    Is there a specific reason to host your own website?

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Apr 17, 2005