    My really Biggest question is this: If The IP on the master changes how
    would people find my site. How do someone from the outside gain access
    if the IP changes every so often?

    The Wolfmare, Sep 15, 2006

  2. The Wolfmare

    sittingduck Guest

    The Wolfmare wrote:

    > My really Biggest question is this: If The IP on the master changes
    > how
    > would people find my site. How do someone from the outside gain access
    > if the IP changes every so often?

    You could use a dns service, or you could buy a static IP. You are most
    likely violating the TOS of your ISP by running a server though. You might
    want to find that out first.

    sittingduck, Sep 15, 2006

  3. The Wolfmare

    Mary Cohen Guest

    Dynamic DNS is your answer, you simply install a client piece of software on
    teh webserver and it broadcasts the ip address of your machine to the remote
    dns server which acts as a gateway for your website, fowarding all traffic
    to your router (of course you have to port foward or DMZ the web server from
    your router).Some Dynamic Dns services are even free. I use this solution
    for accessing files from my home machine to work using ftp, but it can work
    as a small website server as well.

    Mary Cohen, Sep 15, 2006
  4. The Wolfmare

    richard Guest

    > I haven't done anything like this since 2004 and then I had a web hosting
    > company. I recently bought a router, and after I did I realized "Gosh I
    > could just use the other computer as a web server"
    >
    > Anyway, Is there a way to do this with my current set up. what I am using
    > is an ISP with Dynamic DHCP (Server assigned IP) a Linksys Router and I
    > have two windows XP machines and a windows 98 sitting in a box that I
    > could add into the mix if I wanted.
    >
    > I've read some about this, and from what I've read basically you let one
    > be Dynamic and the other is set up as static IP off the router and then
    > use the router to forward requests to the static computer.
    >
    > My really Biggest question is this: If The IP on the master changes how
    > would people find my site. How do someone from the outside gain access if
    > the IP changes every so often?

    Yeah it can be done. I did it using a single machine.
    Problem is, most ISP's won't let you run 24 hours a day. If you're cable,
    then you need to check your company's TOS for the legal issues.
    With webspace being dirt cheap and easily attainable, why not do it the
    right way?
    Furthermore, what if your ISP changes your IP? Even on cable it will change
    from time to time.
    From my experiences, loading from a home based system is extremely slow.
    By the time the page loads, your visitor is disgusted and has left.

    richard, Sep 15, 2006
  5. The Wolfmare wrote:
    > I haven't done anything like this since 2004 and then I had a web
    > hosting company. I recently bought a router, and after I did I realized
    > "Gosh I could just use the other computer as a web server"
    >
    > Anyway, Is there a way to do this with my current set up. what I am
    > using is an ISP with Dynamic DHCP (Server assigned IP) a Linksys Router
    > and I have two windows XP machines and a windows 98 sitting in a box
    > that I could add into the mix if I wanted.
    >
    > I've read some about this, and from what I've read basically you let
    > one be Dynamic and the other is set up as static IP off the router and
    > then use the router to forward requests to the static computer.
    >
    > My really Biggest question is this: If The IP on the master changes how
    > would people find my site. How do someone from the outside gain access
    > if the IP changes every so often?

    To answer your biggest question, you can go to www.DynDNS.com, create
    an account,
    then log in, click on Services, then DynamicDNS.

    Click on the "Add DynamicDNS" link on the DynamicDNS page.

    The "New Dynamic DNS(sm) Host" page should open that contains the
    following fields:
    Hostname:
    IP Address:
    Enable Wildcard:
    Mail Exchanger (optional):

    The "IP Address:" field should display your WAN IP. You might want to
    check and make sure it is correct.

    You'll need to create a Hostname, which is like the first section of a
    Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN). You then need to choose the rest of
    the FQDN using the drop-down menu that gives you a number of name
    choices. Unfortunately, you are not able to create your own Domain Name
    (DN) - buy hey... it's a free service.

    As an example, if I make my Hostname "malware" and choose "blogdns.org"
    to be the rest of the DN, my full DN (or FQDN if you will) becomes the
    following:

    malware.blogdns.org

    That is the Web address (URL) where people would go to visit my site
    hosted my home server - - after I allow http traffic from the Internet
    to pass to my server's IP.

    For now, don't worry about Enable Wildcard: or Mail Exchanger:.

    Once you've configured your Domain Name and confirmed the IP Address is
    correct, simply click on the Add Host button at the bottom.

    If your Linksys is fairly recent, assigning Port Forwarding is done
    through the "Applications & Gaming" section in the "Port Range Forward"
    window.

    The Application would be HTTP (or whatever name you like), your Start
    and End Port Range is 80 and 80, Protocol can be Both. Of course the IP
    Adress is your Web server's static IP. Then check the Enable box and
    scroll down and click on Save Settings.

    DynDNS has a tool you can download that automatically updates your
    dynamic hosting information should your IP Address ever change. It
    really makes things convenient if you have frequent power outages or
    shut down your router on a regular basis.

    I hope this helps!

    Oh, by the way... there are other free DNS hosting services out there,
    so you are not limited to just this one.

    Malware Killer, Sep 15, 2006
  6. The Wolfmare

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 10:18:00 -0600, "richard" <> wrote:

    >Yeah it can be done. I did it using a single machine.
    >Problem is, most ISP's won't let you run 24 hours a day.

    Really? So.. what, they'll only let you run 10 hours a day?

    >Furthermore, what if your ISP changes your IP? Even on cable it will change
    >from time to time.

    That's where this thing called Dynamic DNS (http://www.dyndns.org )
    comes in.

    >From my experiences,

    Oh boy.

    Evan Platt, Sep 15, 2006
  7. richard wrote:
    > "The Wolfmare" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I haven't done anything like this since 2004 and then I had a web hosting
    >>company. I recently bought a router, and after I did I realized "Gosh I
    >>could just use the other computer as a web server"
    >>
    >>Anyway, Is there a way to do this with my current set up. what I am using
    >>is an ISP with Dynamic DHCP (Server assigned IP) a Linksys Router and I
    >>have two windows XP machines and a windows 98 sitting in a box that I
    >>could add into the mix if I wanted.
    >>
    >>I've read some about this, and from what I've read basically you let one
    >>be Dynamic and the other is set up as static IP off the router and then
    >>use the router to forward requests to the static computer.
    >>
    >>My really Biggest question is this: If The IP on the master changes how
    >>would people find my site. How do someone from the outside gain access if
    >>the IP changes every so often?

    > Yeah it can be done. I did it using a single machine.
    > Problem is, most ISP's won't let you run 24 hours a day. If you're cable,
    > then you need to check your company's TOS for the legal issues.
    > With webspace being dirt cheap and easily attainable, why not do it the
    > right way?
    > Furthermore, what if your ISP changes your IP? Even on cable it will change
    > from time to time.
    > From my experiences, loading from a home based system is extremely slow.
    > By the time the page loads, your visitor is disgusted and has left.

    I see the break from talking bollocks didn't last very long.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Sep 15, 2006