    MS systems that you have to update a protect as a daily
    chore.

    Guy's/girls are we on the wrong horse for the future?

    myrt webb, Sep 19, 2003

  2. My mail box is getting flooded with them too.
    Scary virus as the email is "official" Microsoft looking and encourages one
    to install the virus.
    Glenn
    MCNGP #16

    Glenn D. Crosse, Sep 19, 2003

  3. myrt webb

    licknlabia Guest

    Well, here's the deal

    Linux is more secure out of the box, but like Windows, you have to make it
    secure as well. We're primarily a windows shop, as we roughly have about 75
    servers on win2k, a few on 2k3, and few OpenBSD & redhat machines.

    It depends on what your company's requirements are, where I work, we develop
    on windows and utilize the .NET framework.

    Just some of the compatibility between windows and your flavor of linux is
    not quite there yet.

    just my 2 cents.

    - lnl

    licknlabia, Sep 19, 2003
  4. myrt webb

    billyw Guest

    thing to think about here it that ms is so prevelant that there is going to
    be more attacks against it.. also jealousy of bg is rampant so you get all
    these geeks attacking it.
    that said linux had to be patched recently, and no doubt if it gets bigger
    then more will happen with regard to that.. the concern is that with linux
    being open source, who are you going to hassle to get it fixed?

    the good thing right now is that there is a chance that ms may decline a
    bit. that might mean they change their stupid pricing policy and also the
    licences which are a total joke.

    billyw, Sep 19, 2003
  5. If I was going to switch to the evil side and wanted to write a virus, it
    would be much easier to create it for the software that I had the source
    code for. Heck, I'd just tweak a source file, recompile and... never mind.
    I'm just not interested.

    Open source means no secrets and simple reproducibility.

    Davin Mickelson

    Davin Mickelson, Sep 19, 2003
  6. circa Fri, 19 Sep 2003 09:55:18 -0700, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, myrt webb ()
    said,
    > I wonder if in my MSCE studies if I am not riding the
    > wrong horse.
    >
    > The security problems in MS stuff is really, really
    > getting bad. Today I had my mail box flooded with emails
    > with virus's. Almost like a denial of service attack.
    >
    > My anti-virus caught them all but what a pain. I do not
    > think companies can continue to put up with this BS. If I
    > were planning a firm's computer system I would at least
    > mix systems so that I did not have all, very vulnerable,
    > MS systems that you have to update a protect as a daily
    > chore.
    >
    > Guy's/girls are we on the wrong horse for the future?

    I work in an environment that has everything under the sun, so I
    think not. :)

    Laura
    --
    I am Dyslexia of Borg,
    Your ass will be laminated.

    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 19, 2003
  7. circa Fri, 19 Sep 2003 20:05:23 +0100, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, billyw () said,
    > so, the environment you work in has shania twain...

    Well, yes, but what difference does that make?
    --
    I am Dyslexia of Borg,
    Your ass will be laminated.

    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 19, 2003
  8. myrt webb

    Consultant Guest

    laura, i found this stuff id like to try on you, called liquid latex, you
    game?

    Consultant, Sep 19, 2003
  9. circa Fri, 19 Sep 2003 13:52:54 -0700, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Consultant
    () said,
    > laura, i found this stuff id like to try on you, called liquid latex, you
    > game?

    Sorry, that option is not available in this revision.
    --
    Four legs good, two legs bad.
    -George Orwell

    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 19, 2003
  10. myrt webb

    myrt webb Guest

    So what is the solution. Change your mailbox?

    My ISP says I have a virus but my Scanning with the latest
    definitions do not find anything.

    My ISP is kinda ignorant anyway.

    myrt webb, Sep 19, 2003
  11. myrt webb

    Maestro Guest

    I think not. Microsoft is a target because of it's shear
    size and dominance in the industry. As long as they own
    the market share they do there will be some that think
    they can bring down the empire or at least cause it to
    stagger. Should Microsoft ever fall from dominance,
    whichever company took it's place (despite how secure out
    the box it may seem right now) would be plagued with the
    same security issues. Another contributing factor is that
    some companies (and many home users) are slow to implement
    new security measures that Microsoft develops.

    Maestro, Sep 22, 2003