Horror Films That Aren't On DVD - From Omega Channel

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Omega Channel, May 13, 2006.

  1. >From Omega Channel at http://omegachannel.blogspot.com

    The other day as I was lamenting the lack of a decent Region 1 DVD
    version of Grave of the Vampire, I got to thinking about other pieces
    from my collection that remain trapped in the analog dimension. Here
    are a two great horror films for which I feel the need for DVD.

    Nosferatu in Venice (1988)
    A gorgeous and haunting film which ironically stars the hideous and
    haunting Klaus Kinski. This is a kind of, sort of, but not really
    sequel to Werner Herzog's Nosferatu the Vampyre. Christopher
    Plummer-in a role that anticipates his far less notable performance
    as Van Helsing in Dracula 2000-plays Professor Paris Catalano, a man
    who has devoted his life to ridding the world of vampires. He is
    summoned to a home in Venice where he takes part in a séance that
    awakens a powerful vampire known as The Nosferatu (Kinski). Donald
    Pleasance also stars as an ineffectual clergyman. This film has some
    original notions, suggesting that the condition of vampirism can be
    brought on simply by committing evil acts, rather than being spread
    like a virus. The backdrop of decaying Venetian buildings sets a somber
    tone, bolstered by a top notch score and a great cast which also
    includes the beautiful Barbara De Rossi.

    The copy I own was purchased at a convention in the mid 1990's, and is
    a gray market dupe of a Japanese laser disc, though it appears to be a
    few generations removed from the source. The film is letterboxed, with
    a well-dubbed English soundtrack and Japanese subtitles. The tape has
    had tracking issues from day one, and while the image quality is
    passable, this movie deserves to be shown in pristine condition. I've
    seen some Region 0 copies available on Ebay, but I'm not sure if these
    are dupes or imports.

    Island of Terror (1966)
    Two words, horror fans: Peter Cushing. The man automatically elevated
    the status of any film just by showing up for work. Two more words:
    Terence Fisher. This is the same director who gave us Horror of
    Dracula, Curse of Frankenstein, and far too many other Hammer flicks to
    mention here.

    A small island off the coast of Ireland is beset by bizarre
    silicon-based creatures that are the accidental result of an attempt to
    cure cancer. The creatures, dubbed silicates, consume bone from any
    animal or person that crosses their path. Two doctors, played by
    Cushing and Edward Judd, star of the also excellent Day the Earth
    Caught Fire, come to investigate but find themselves trapped along with
    the country folk native to the island. Carole Gray is likable, if
    sometimes gratingly in need of rescue as Judd's romantic interest.
    Niall MacGinnis, one of the stars of Curse of the Demon, plays one of
    the islanders. The interesting script, tight pacing, and cast make up
    for the Dr. Who level special effects.

    Island of Terror was released on VHS in fullscreen format by
    MCA/Universal in the mid 1990's and is currently out of print. There
    has been an official DVD release in Europe, but not here in the States.
    I've seen fullscreen Region 0 DVD's available on Ebay, and I suspect
    these are dubs of the MCA/Universal tape.

    More reviews and musings on the subject of horror at
    http://omegachannel.blogspot.com

    Omega Channel, May 13, 2006

  2. Omega Channel

    Matt Guest

    "Island of Terror (1966)
    Two words, horror fans: Peter Cushing. The man automatically elevated
    the status of any film just by showing up for work. Two more words:
    Terence Fisher. This is the same director who gave us Horror of
    Dracula, Curse of Frankenstein, and far too many other Hammer flicks to
    mention here.

    This is available on a nice region two transfer.

    Matt

    Matt, May 13, 2006

  3. My apologies. I should have been more specific. My point was that these
    films are not available as official releases on Region 1 DVD.

    Omega Channel, May 16, 2006