HORRID Experience with Sony Imagestation!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ryan, Feb 13, 2005.

  1. Ryan

    Ryan Guest

    I want to scream!

    For a few years, we have used digital cameras on our vacations and then
    had hardcover books of our trips made after our return. In the past, we
    had always used MyPublisher.com who had web based software for creating
    their photo books. It took time, but the finished books were wonderful.

    About a year ago, for some insane reason, they ditched their web based
    software and replaced it with a small book designing application you
    download instead. The problem is the download actually has fewer design
    features than the old. No page borders, fewer layout options, etc. So,
    we had to stop using MyPublisher.

    For our last trip, we decided to try the book making software at Sony
    Imagestation. We uploaded our photos (200+) and began making a book..
    MONTHS ago. We run into one problem after the other and have to find
    time to come back and try again.

    1. In the middle of creating a page you'll randomly get a "can't make
    connection to server" message and no page will display. You either have
    to log out and back in or close your browser and try again. We have
    this problem with Imagestation's book creating area on several machines
    at several locations, so it's got to be on their end.

    2. Another random error occurs a times with their "web built interface"
    and you get an error message with about 4 lines of unreadable text.
    Again, you have to log out and back. SO, for both of these reasons, we
    have to save every few minutes when it's working so we don't loose
    anything when the next error pops us.

    3. For unknown reasons, whenever we go back into the book to keep
    working on it, only about 20 photos are available to us to use. We have
    to go back and load the other 180+ photos into the project from their
    album to be able to use them on pages. If we leave Imagestation and
    come back later, we have to go load the missing photos again even
    though we're saved. The image are simply won't hold onto all the
    images, only some of them and you have to go get the rest over and over
    to keep working on your book each time you return to the site.

    In any event, this book has taken us countless hours to built all
    because of problems with Sony's software! We're amazed any customer
    would find this acceptable.

    Does anyone know of a site other than MyPublisher or Imagestation where
    you can upload digital photos and then design and order hardcover photo
    books? We have yet another book to make after this one and can't bare
    to go through this with Sony again!

    Ryan, Feb 13, 2005

  2. Ryan

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On 12 Feb 2005 20:14:10 -0800, "Ryan" <> wrote:

    >We have yet another book to make after this one and can't bare
    >to go through this with Sony again!

    Try wearing clothes when you use the program.

    Tony Cooper, Feb 13, 2005

  3. Ryan

    Ryan Guest

    > Try wearing clothes when you use the program.

    PLEASE respond with HELPFUL advice and feedback or not at all.

    Thank you!

    Ryan, Feb 13, 2005
  4. Ryan

    Keith Guest

    Ryan <> wrote:

    > Does anyone know of a site other than MyPublisher or Imagestation where
    > you can upload digital photos and then design and order hardcover photo
    > books? We have yet another book to make after this one and can't bare
    > to go through this with Sony again!

    iPhoto has a book designing feature, you prepare everything on your
    computer, only uploading when the design is finished.

    Keith, Feb 13, 2005
  5. Ryan

    Guest

    On 13 Feb 2005 07:08:26 -0800, "Ryan" <> wrote:

    >> Try wearing clothes when you use the program.

    >PLEASE respond with HELPFUL advice and feedback or not at all.
    >
    >Thank you!

    While searching for a new program, please also look for a
    sense of humor about your own spelling (which you conveniently
    snipped).

    Thank you!

    , Feb 13, 2005
  6. Ryan

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Ryan <> wrote:
    >I want to scream!

    [...]

    www.ofoto.com ?

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Feb 14, 2005
  7. Ryan

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On 13 Feb 2005 07:08:26 -0800, "Ryan" <> wrote:

    >> Try wearing clothes when you use the program.

    >PLEASE respond with HELPFUL advice and feedback or not at all.
    >
    >Thank you!

    It should be quite helpful for you to know that there's a difference
    between "bare" and "bear". For example, if you're shooting some
    pictures of a live model and hold up a sign that says "Bear!", she
    might run off in fright and you wouldn't get to finish the session.

    You're welcome.

    Tony Cooper, Feb 14, 2005
  8. Ryan

    Ryan Guest

    > iPhoto has a book designing feature, you prepare everything on your
    > computer, only uploading when the design is finished.

    Thanks Keith!

    iPhoto looks great, but I have two stupid questions...

    1. Is it ONLY for Mac?? I am on PC.

    2. It appears they want $79.99 for the software. Would that be true
    even if you just wanted to create books and order them later? Doesn't
    seem right.

    Ryan, Feb 14, 2005
  9. Ryan

    Keith Guest

    Ryan <> wrote:

    > > iPhoto has a book designing feature, you prepare everything on your
    > > computer, only uploading when the design is finished.

    > Thanks Keith!
    >
    > iPhoto looks great, but I have two stupid questions...
    >
    > 1. Is it ONLY for Mac?? I am on PC.
    >
    > 2. It appears they want $79.99 for the software. Would that be true
    > even if you just wanted to create books and order them later? Doesn't
    > seem right.

    It is Mac only I'm afraid, comes free with all new Macs, why not look at
    the new Mac Mini, or whatever its called, you can use all of your
    peripherals: screen, keyboard, etc, just swap out the CPU and away you
    go with all of the iLife software which works very well together.
    Excellent free iDVD - (DVD authoring for slie shows and movies) as well.

    Keith, Feb 15, 2005
  10. Ryan

    Markeau Guest

    I have been using Imagestation for over a year. A few times I also
    experienced some problems, so had to try again later (like the next
    day) and everything would then work ok.

    Markeau, Feb 15, 2005
  11. Ryan

    Ryan Guest

    I appreciate this feedback.

    Well, we got the first book finished and ordered A WEEK AGO and they
    still haven't shipped it so I can't tell if it's good or bad. I have a
    second book to order, but really wanted to review the first before
    doing so.

    Gosh, MyPublisher has crappy software and limited designs but at least
    they used to ship in ONE DAY. What on Earth is taking Sony over a week
    to create ONE book??

    I so wish there was a PC version of iLife! They have a wonderful book
    designer and web site, but it's only for Mac!

    Ryan, Feb 21, 2005