    If you (or amazon.co.uk) want to reply by mail, don't forget to remove
    pants.

    Steven

    steven, Mar 6, 2004

  2. _His Girl Friday_ (was Re: Horrible image quality) (was: Horrible image quality)

    steven wrote:
    > ...I purchased this DVD [_His Girl Friday_] from Amazon, and it's the
    > crappiest thing I've ever seen.
    >
    > http://users.pandora.be/nenya/anor/hgf/index.htm

    Sadly, that's what happens when you purchase an edition made by an
    el-cheapo company working from beat-up public-domain prints. Sorry you
    learned this the hard way.

    Generally, when the same film is issued simultaneously by multiple labels
    (as is the case with many of the early Hitchcock films), it means those
    films are PD... which is generally a warning sign as to the quality of
    those releases. In such cases, you tend to get what you pay for.

    So please spare Columbia your annoyance: it's not their fault. They didn't
    license _His Girl Friday_ to anyone: instead, they expended the effort and
    money to make a high-quality DVD of the film, knowing full well that their
    version would have to compete with lower-priced PD editions. And I'm glad
    they did so.

    In the future, when you're confronted with multiple releases of the same
    film, you might want to search for DVD reviews, either on the Web or in the
    Google groups archive. If you'd done that for _His Girl Friday_, you might
    have stumbled upon, for example, *this* post...

    <http://google.com/groups?selm=B6DA4875.12A75%25pab%40smr-home-theatre.org>

    ....which might have steered you towards the Columbia release.

    In the absence of any reviews or other opinions, if there's *one* release
    on a major label (like Columbia) and a ton of releases on no-name labels,
    go for the major: even a below-average major release usually beats the
    pants off a PD version. (Here in R1/USA, that's the "_Zulu_ rule".) :)

    doug

    --
    "Don't stay in a sad place where they don't care how you are..."
    --David Bowie

    Douglas Bailey, Mar 6, 2004

  3. In article <Jip2c.25293$-ops.be>, steven
    says...
    > First of all, sorry for the crosspost. I guess I should really post on
    > alt.video.dvd.complain, but there doesn't seem to be much traffic there.
    >
    > To cut a long story short: I purchased this DVD from Amazon, and it's the
    > crappiest thing I've ever seen.
    > The full story (with screenshots, so you can judge for yourself):
    > http://users.pandora.be/nenya/anor/hgf/index.htm
    >
    > If you (or amazon.co.uk) want to reply by mail, don't forget to remove
    > pants.
    >
    > Steven

    "His Girl Friday" is in the public domain, and many different companies
    have DVDs of it out.

    Edward

    Edward Curtis, Mar 6, 2004
  4. steven

    jayembee Guest

    "steven" <> wrote:

    > First of all, sorry for the crosspost. I guess I should
    > really post on alt.video.dvd.complain, but there doesn't
    > seem to be much traffic there.
    >
    > To cut a long story short: I purchased this DVD from Amazon,
    > and it's the crappiest thing I've ever seen. The full story
    > (with screenshots, so you can judge for yourself):
    > http://users.pandora.be/nenya/anor/hgf/index.htm

    To quote one point from the linked URL:

    "I don't quite know how this licensing stuff normally works,
    but I would think that Columbia would at least care a bit
    about what their licensees present to the customer. At least
    I would. Maybe the master Columbia licenses is of a lesser
    quality, so as not to give the licensee a competitive advantage."

    OK, to make a long story short, Columbia doesn't have the
    legal right to care, because they didn't license the title
    to GVMS, or anyone else. For reasons that aren't clear,
    HIS GIRL FRIDAY fell into the Public Domain some years ago.
    Which gives anyone who wants to the right to produce and
    sell DVDs. GVMS (and the various P.D. labels here in the
    States, as well) just took whatever source they could scrape
    up, and pressed it to DVD.

    Columbia, of course, still had negatives, etc. in their vaults,
    and was able to create a marvelous transfer for their DVD
    release.

    Be thankful that Columbia actually chose to do this. Generally
    speaking, studios who've had titles fall into the Public Domain
    don't bother pulling their negs out of the vault to produce a
    superior release. They probably figure that with so many bargain
    price P.D. releases already out, there'd be no market for a
    higher-priced edition.

    At any rate, the moral of the story is: if you take the cheap
    way out, you'll usually get what you pay for. While there are
    a number of legitimate releases that are priced low, chances
    are if it's a *really* good bargain, it's a bad P.D. release.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Mar 6, 2004